Stitch Fix Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

3.3
Stitch Fix Founder & CEO Katrina Lake
Katrina Lake

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Working at Stitch Fix gives you great flexibility to work from home while making a reasonable part-time salary" (in 127 reviews)

• "Very flexible hours and pay is fair" (in 62 reviews)

Cons
  • "Believe all those telling you that there is no room for growth" (in 26 reviews)

• "Particular role can be hard to maintain with another full-time job" (in 24 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great company, great people, fun job"

I have been working at Stitch Fix part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Schedule flexibility, creative outlet, work from home, meaningful relationships, supportive community, amazing people. I still can't believe this job exists and I get paid to do what I do because it's just so amazing. I don't ever see myself quitting this job, whatever other things I may have going on the side.

Cons

Limited inventory can get challenging. But what's a job without challenges? Little time to catch up on non-styling things.

Advice to Management

Better inventory planning. Separate reading feedback time from reading communications time. Reading feedback time can change with hours styled; there should be at least an hour allocated for reading e-mails and communications.

2. "Stellar Company, Bright People"

Former Employee - Senior Stylist in Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Stylist in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I worked at Stitch Fix part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Culture, creative energy, invested management

Cons

Styling can get monotonous

Advice to Management

Keep it up! Flexible hours for stylists would be helpful in recruiting top talent.

3. "Manage small team of data scientists"

Current Employee - Data Scientist Manager in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Data Scientist Manager in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Stitch Fix full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Best general work environment I've worked at, and amazing team of data scientists.

Cons

Not much, perhaps a few too many meetings because we prioritize transparency. I'd rather have transparency than fewer meetings though.

4. "Limited opportunity"

Current Employee - Senior Stylist in Dallas, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Stylist in Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at Stitch Fix part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great flexibility for stay at home moms

Cons

Repetitive repetitive and limted opportunity for advancement.

Advice to Management

Recognize your in-house talent

"Stylist Are Getting Played"

Former Employee - Senior Stylist in Houston, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Stylist in Houston, TX (US)

I worked at Stitch Fix part-time

Pros

Working your own schedule in your PJs at home

Cons

Walking in as a fresh graduate a few years ago, I was like Augustus Gloop walking in that chocolate factory. I thought this company was innovative, trendy, and high-tech. As a math major, the data-based research applied to fashion was a wonderful concept. Until the facade faded.
    After a few months of progressively worse inventory and feedback, I began to wonder if it was just me. Hop on over to the employee social media page to realize you're not alone. Everyone constantly voiced their issues, like the stranded passengers of the Titanic floating in frozen waters. The lifeboats weren't coming back for us, and they never were going to.
    I've always been a top performer, so when I looked at these reviews years ago, I thought "Nah, not me. I'm a great problem solver!". It felt awful sending women/men looking for help in style horrific items because you had nothing else.
    I loved seeing all the great Pinterest boards of clients, only to realize I would never be able to find pieces close to their expectations. "Get creative" was management's automated suggestion. Like tell a 50-year-old business woman looking for a structured solid tops to bleach one of the outrageous numbers of plaids 1000x to get what she wants?
    Basically, you get railed for not providing the clients what they want. The marketing on social media with all the cute outfits? Runs about $1000 because they're all Luxe items. Or straight from the "influencer's" closet. It's unrealistic expectations and I can't believe they're playing it off on the stylists. I'm sure our complaints got annoying, but you want feedback, right? We had to take feedback into consideration, why can't the other teams?
    After going public, SF tanked even more. Competition is going to run this company out of business unless they find solutions from the top. Good luck to the bright-eyed new stylists, you'll need it.

Advice to Management

Take responsibility, get creative

6. "Current employee"

I have been working at Stitch Fix full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people, interesting work, flexible work life

Cons

Stuck between a start up and a big company.

"Good for College Students"

I have been working at Stitch Fix part-time

Pros

Perfect for when you're in college and need a job while you're in school full-time as you can work a minimum of 15 hours and choose your own schedule and work on days that best suit your days. I would also recommend this job to stay-at-home-parents since you're able to work remotely.

Cons

Very rarely will you get a raise/promotion and being with the company as a great employee for many years will also not help your cause unless you are close to someone in upper management or at the HQ.
    Doesn't matter if you're a college grad, they will not consider you for corporate jobs unless you have the right connections
    Cliquey
    You have to style fast and it can get stressful

Advice to Management

Create more room for career growth, lessen the cliquey-ness, create better inventory so that stylists can actually send what is being shown on social media pages because inventory is always tight and social media is ultimately false advertisement.

8. "okay...easy"

Current Employee - Remote Stitch Fix Stylist
    Current Employee - Remote Stitch Fix Stylist

I have been working at Stitch Fix part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- 14.50 an hour
    -work from home
    - 40% off
    - The algorithm makes it easier

Cons

- gets repetitive
    - very bubbly company
    - low inventory makes styling harder

9. "outbound associate"

I worked at Stitch Fix full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There were some great coworkers and the job was pretty easy. Free snacks in the breakrooms.

Cons

Supervisors didn't appear to do much and many times were hard to find. There's very little opportunity to move up. If an opportunity does come up, the favorites get picked.

"Apply With Caution"

Current Employee - Senior Stylist
    Current Employee - Senior Stylist

I have been working at Stitch Fix part-time (More than a year)

Pros

40% discount

I like working from home

I have some really amazing clients that I've been styling since I started

We earn paid sick time but if you are really healthy you can use it (I am not going to lie and say I am sick when I am not, that's just how I roll), PTO instead would be much better.

Cons

After $1/hr Sr. Stylist promotion/raise there are no increases in compensation. I know I am much more valuable than I was when I first started, it would be nice to receive raise based on performance but also account for inflation.

Inventory is a constant struggle and doesn't reflect what is posted on social media. It feels very misleading to me.

Customers can be very mean with their feedback (think profanity, insults). I don't take this personally as it is more a reflection of the customer and not me but this can be daunting to new stylists.

Very hands-off CEO, I've literally never seen any communication from her (other than public-facing communications). You'd think there would be at least an annual "thank you" message or how about attending an all-stylist call since there are several thousand stylists now? Her actions reflect her priorities. I'm used to CEOs who are very engaged so this is surprising to me.

Low pay

FT employees have a lot of paid holidays (which I fully support) but it's really, really hard to style when the warehouses are closed so if you need the money your metrics and clients will suffer.

When we don't have appropriate inventory we have been told to be careful on how we message this to clients, this can get tricky when someone requests something basic several times and we ever have it. It feels dishonest. If someone isn't good at wordsmithing it could be stressful.

Advice to Management

Take care of your employees and they'll take care of you.
    Consider PTO versus paid sick time to make this a benefit we feel good about
    Your internal candidate experience could be improved