Supermacs Employee Reviews about "night shifts"

Updated 16 Jan 2020

3.6
Supermacs Founder and Managing Director Pat McDonagh
Pat McDonagh
Pros
Cons
  • "long hours, often into the night(in 13 reviews)

• "Same people forced to do night shifts every time(in 8 reviews)

Reviews about "night shifts"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Supermac's part time"

I worked at Supermacs part-time

Pros

- Other employees - Pay - Always busy

Cons

- Late hours - Same people forced to do night shifts every time - Management can be hard to deal with

"Sales assistant"

4.0

I worked at Supermacs part-time

Pros

Nice people to work with Free food at lunch time

Cons

Night shifts are always awful, dealing with drunks and the strange people out at that time.

"Supermacs lead to my Ergophobia"

1.0
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Walkinstown

I worked at Supermacs full-time for less than a year

Pros

I got paid, but only minimum wage

Cons

A couple of years ago I worked at Supermacs. To be honest I wasn’t the best at my job, though I’m fairly certain the reason for that was the working conditions. I am an alright cook, I can clean, and I understand the English language pretty well, it is my native language after all. After years of school, at that time a college student studying Game Design, I should have the basic skills to work in a fast food chain, I would think. Yet, it is that job, that summer, that left me terrified to my core of getting a new job. In Supermacs I was blamed an awful lot. One manager always blamed me for money missing in the till, however, that only ever came up on her shifts, and not only did she blame me for that, but I would be blamed for her mistakes. Now, I know that may not seem like much, but after a while, it is a little grating. The next thing that happened is that I was constantly told, again and again, that I had done something wrong. I wouldn’t be surprised if I had, I was new, but the anger and irritation at my mistakes were unnecessary, and led me to ask them to make sure that I was doing the right thing, which led to more anger and irritation directed towards me. Every day going to that job I felt a sense of dread, but I was young, scared of my managers, and scared of resigning to failure at what seemed like it should have been a basic job. I didn’t know how to quit, I was scared to, and so I carried on. I got the worst jobs, the grunt work, one day I had to clean the drain full of week-old food that smelled disgusting. It turned out it should have been done earlier in the week, I had shifts all that week and did not know that this was a thing I was supposed to do. I didn’t know it existed. So I spent two hours pulling disgusting gunk that smelled awful from a drain. I felt physically sick, but it was a common problem in this workplace. The managers expected me to know things I had not been told. One incredibly irritating thing the managers expected of me were the vouchers. Supermacs’ cash register system was abysmal, the vouchers that would come in rarely matched the coupon codes I was supposed to select on the register. So when a customer would come in with a new voucher I often had trouble finding it, and again my managers would be incredibly irritated that I did not know this secret code they hadn’t told me about. Then, one night when I was working, we got a call for something that wasn’t on the menu. I tried to tell the customer this, who began arguing with me, and eventually, I asked the manager if this was another thing they hadn’t told me. My manager was furious with me because this secret thing they hadn’t told me they did was something I should, of course, have known and done straight away. Yet I still stayed working there, because if I quit I was a failure. It was the end of summer, I was about to go back to college, so I spoke to one of the managers. Sometimes we would be open until four in the morning, and I explained that should I have a class first thing in the morning I would not be able to work night shifts. She disagreed and refused to allow me to work hours that would suit college. She was pushing me to quit, it was obvious, and so I gave in. I haven’t been employed since, and that was three years ago. I desperately need a job, I am studying and I get a grant, but it isn’t enough. Yet, every time I go to apply for a job, I feel an overwhelming sense of dread, which leads to a panic attack followed by depression. I had an interview yesterday, I’ve been trying to move forward, but the whole time the interviewer was talking that dread filled me, I didn’t want the job because I didn’t want to feel like that again. It strains relationships, I live in a very small bubble because I can’t afford to go out of it. I am stuck, terrified of never being employed again, and have come to believe that I may have Ergophobia. The sad thing is, I didn’t fight for myself, I lost confidence, and now I feel hopeless. I would cry at work, I am not a crier, yet as I mopped the floors and fried burgers I could feel a lump in my throat, tears running down my cheeks. They never asked if I was okay, they saw but they ignored me. This is not how a workplace should be, it is not how a workplace should conduct itself. If someone you work with displays these symptoms, speak up, ask them if they are okay, and don’t be afraid to probe. You may well save them from years of unemployment and strained relationships with loved ones.

4. "Cashiet"

2.0
    Former Employee - Cashier in Dublin, Dublin

I worked at Supermacs full-time for less than a year

Pros

The cheap lunches on breaks? Lol

Cons

Late night shifts, overworked, not always 12 hours between shifts

"Excellent"

5.0
    Current Employee - Till Operator/Chef in Galway

I have been working at Supermacs full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Lovely staff and great people to work with. I had some very good fun working with my fellow co-workers while enhancing many skills such attentiveness, interpersonal skills, tenacity, clear communication skills and a willingness to learn. Overall I've had a wonderful time working here.

Cons

Working the night shift left me with very little of a social life but overall I don't mind it too much as it helped me save money.

"Not a good long term job"

Former Employee - Service Staff in Galway

I worked at Supermacs part-time for less than a year

Pros

Friendly coworkers, the company provides transport home after night shift. You can easily get a lot of hours if you work hard so you can get full time hours on a part time contract.

Cons

Long hours, rude customers particularly when working night shifts. Management are very quick to criticise but rarely offer praise or gratitude for good work. Staff are also charged for their uniforms and for "staff meals" regardless of whether they eat the food which brings the hourly rate below minimum wage. Difficult to get holidays or time off.

Continue reading
  7. "Excellent to start. Staff and Management are humble and friendly"

Former Employee - Crew Member in Dublin, Dublin
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Supermacs full-time for more than a year

Pros

Hard working staff can be promoted within a 1 year, training provided, stores managers listen and care for employees, Hours a little flexible if you ask in advance, team are always made of friendly and hardworking people. Good place for college students and new people into the country who work hard to grow.

Cons

night shifts are bad for health! some shops have no security so junkies come in easily, night shift pay is very low (only 20% over basic pay)

8. "Improvements needed"

No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Supermacs part-time

Pros

People I work with, we're all a team. We have a close bond, we all get on so well. Can actually be a bit of craic now and again, but we are very attentive to customers at the same time. The pay is quite good. The main 'pro' is the sort of family/bond I've grown with my fellow employees. Friendly customers, the regulars are quite pleasant and friendly.

Cons

Deductions in our pay. I believe they are very unfair. Recently the uniform deduction has stopped which is great, but should have been done a long time ago. I think that if you want to eat supermacs food on your break, then pay for it there and then like the customers. This idea of 25 cent an hour taken from your pay is unfair for those who do not wish to eat the food. Very unsociable hours, I am nearly always on night shifts. The head manager can be very difficult to work with at times, not very approachable. A lot of people seems to be afraid, which I think is so wrong. Little to no staff bonus/benefits. Some staff were given a 5 euro gift voucher for the supermacs they work in, and others actually didn't receive any. Sorry to be so harsh here but that is actually ridiculous.

Continue reading

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Found 8 reviews