Sydney Water Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

Sydney Water Reviews

Updated Aug 20, 2019

Found 71 reviews

Sydney Water CEO Roch Cheroux (no image)
Roch Cheroux
Pros
  • "Flexible hours and great work life balance in many areas within the corporate area(in 20 reviews)

• "(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • "Culture of bullying, harassment and intimidation allowed to flourish under current management(in 6 reviews)

• "Constant threat of restructures(in 3 reviews)

1. "Top Place"

Former Employee - Accounting Manager in Sydney

I worked at Sydney Water full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Knowledge, challenges, people, systems, changes

Cons

not any that come to mind

Sydney Water2019-06-28

July 2, 2019Culture and Insights Manager

Thanks for sharing your positive experience working here

2. "good place to work and gain knowledge"

Current Employee - Environment Professional in Parramatta

I have been working at Sydney Water full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

good branding in public sector

Cons

too many restructures, senior management must learn to retain talented people

Sydney Water2019-07-31

August 1, 2019Culture and Insights Manager

Thanks for your feedback. We are committed to improving talent management and have taken steps this year to get better visibility of talent across the business and create more opportunities for our people.

3. "Great work life balance, decent salary, lots of problems"

Current Employee - Analyst

I have been working at Sydney Water full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great leave policies Rostered days off for lower paid workers Salaries aren't bad Some really good people here Blue bus training initiative is good (even though it's not actually used in much of the company)

Cons

Increasing surveillance of staff: Alcohol and drug testing, GPS tracking in cars, swipe card records being analysed Much more trust is placed in consultants than Sydney water staff Very regimented structure that stifles innovation (even though the company says that it promotes it). Good performance isn't rewarded adequately but mistakes are punished, so it's a lot easier to not do anything (again, the company... says it promotes failing fast, but you can't see much of that) Slowly being privatised by replacing Sydney water staff with much more expensive consultants when they leave. The last couple of five star reviews were actually by consultants, not staff. Information is sanitised before being passed on to senior management People are promoted from outside the company rather than from within. Crazy amount of red tape!

Advice to Management

Actually look at the problems and don't pretend everything is rosy. People do want to do great work and be on the blue bus, but we need to increase transparency, trust and accountability for that to happen.

Sydney Water2019-07-30

August 1, 2019Culture and Insights Manager

Hi! Thanks for sharing your experience working here. I’d love to have a chat to know more so we can address your concerns. If you’d be willing to have a confidential conversation, please contact me at alison.stanley@sydneywater.com.au

4. "Great Work (and Life Balance) - Culture is a Barrier to Change"

Current Employee - Project Engineer in Parramatta

I have been working at Sydney Water full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Excellent salary and benefits - Rostered days off every fortnight - Interesting work with a focus on quality and delivering customer value - Opportunities for upskilling widely available and encouraged by management

Cons

- Ingrained culture slows down potential innovation and improvements - Financing pathways make getting business cases over the line very difficult - People who endorse capital projects are not familiar with the operational assets and people

Advice to Management

- Trust your people when they say an asset requires replacement or upgrading - Give enough time for culture changes to see results before implementing further changes

Sydney Water2019-07-24

July 25, 2019Culture and Insights Manager

Thanks for your constructive feedback and suggestions on how we can make Sydney Water an even better place to work

5. "BULLYING CULTURE"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Parramatta

I have been working at Sydney Water full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Flexible working environment, with RDO's. Great policies and procedures.

Cons

Bullying, Bullying, Bullying is prevalent in the Customer Service Environment. I have been a victim of bullying and when reported the case I am required to seek employment elsewhere. The victim gets evicted and the managers are protected. There is a great policy on Bullying and what can be done about it, but no one follows the policy.

Advice to Management

Clean up the Bullying from all levels of management and retain good staff.

Sydney Water2019-08-21

September 5, 2019Culture and Insights Manager

Thanks for leaving your feedback. I'd like to know more so that we can address these concerns. If you would be willing to have a confidential chat, please contact me at alison.stanley@sydneywater.com.au or you can call the Corruption and Misconduct Hotline (1800 500 965).

6. "Watch out for the bullying"

Former Employee - WHS Advisor in Sydney

I worked at Sydney Water full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Interesting work environments outside of offices, 9 day fortnight & good work life balance

Cons

Exceptional amount of bullying which was managed to reduce litigation vs fix the actual problem. Investigate themselves and find nothing wrong, incomplete & biased investigations & managed of identified actions. Sydney Water lost many good people (>10) to one or two bad managers.

Advice to Management

Manage the bullying problem, not the litigation risk.

Sydney Water2019-07-22

July 22, 2019Culture and Insights Manager

Thanks for your review. We take allegations of bullying seriously. I’m not sure how long ago this occurred, but it would be good to know more so we can take action. If you would like us to look into this further, please call our Corruption and Misconduct Hotline (1800 500 965) or ...

"Not a nice place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Parramatta
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Sydney Water full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good salary package Monthly RDO's Location is ok

Cons

Unsupported by management Not a nice culture to work in, very political and toxic

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with respect Be encouraging and supportive to hard working employees Remove yourself from idle gossip Having good values is important, they need to be practiced

Sydney Water2019-06-20

July 2, 2019Culture and Insights Manager

Thanks for giving your feedback and I’m sorry to hear you didn’t feel supported. If you’d be willing to have a confidential chat about your experiences, please contact me at alison.stanley@sydneywater.com.au

8. "Work life balance"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in City of Parramatta

I have been working at Sydney Water full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexible hours and great work life balance in many areas within the corporate area Big focus on wellbeing with some really useful programs you can access like gym passport and health coaching service

Cons

Change takes a long time Lots of deadwood Frontline under resourced

Advice to Management

Don’t play the game... Be the change that’s needed

Sydney Water2019-05-19

May 21, 2019Culture and Insights Manager

Thanks for sharing your positive experience working at Sydney Water

9. "Inspired to do my best work here"

Current Employee - Senior Reliability Engineer

I have been working at Sydney Water full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

We provide a fundamental community service, protect the environment while being customer centric and making every dollar count. The vision is sound but the implementation is challenging: great fun! So much to do and improve. I love working at Sydney Water.

Cons

Some ineffective middle management survives in some corners of the business. Legacy of bureaucracy thinking. Culture can sometimes revert back to oppositional or passive.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. Priorities and be bold. Seek to influence the broader environment (regulators and political leaders).

Sydney Water2019-05-05

May 7, 2019Culture and Insights Manager

Thanks for sharing your feedback. It’s great that you feel connected to our purpose and recognise how you are able to make a difference to the lives of customers and the broader community.

"Abhorrent"

Former Employee - BxP & CxP Manager in Parramatta

I worked at Sydney Water full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Analogy of SW: A house that looks good, from a distance, but is actually ridden with termites and white ants. Best pay, I've ever had, for output/contribution - which was less than 50% utilisation over my tenure

Cons

People are nice to your face, but, will rubbish you behind your back. They are conniving, nasty, back stabbing liars. Ex CxP Program Manager hiring ~ 20 Contracts through her personal Company. Remember that happening at Railcorp, and there being ICAC investigation.

Advice to Management

If you lie, and treat people poorly, it doesn't finish when they walk out the door. It will come back to bite you.

Sydney Water2019-06-05

June 17, 2019Culture and Insights Manager

I’m sorry to hear that you’ve had a negative experience working here. We take allegations of corruption and misconduct seriously and would like to know more so we can look into your concerns further. We have a Corruption and Misconduct Hotline (1800 500 965) where you can report ...

Found 71 reviews