T J Morris Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

Found 268 reviews

2.8
T J Morris CEO Tom Morris
Tom Morris
Pros
  • "You get a 10% discount on products in store(in 30 reviews)

• "Working in a big team, rota handed out early, flexible hours, exposed to customers constantly so good retail practice(in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • "Favouritism shown towards managers who step down for personal reasons by area manager but lead sales (junior manager) comploetely ignored by(in 16 reviews)

• "Varying quality of managers - workers in Lead Sales role were often power mad(in 12 reviews)

"wouldnt recommend"

in Doncaster

I worked at T J Morris

Pros

10% discount and thats all really

Cons

managers pick and choose who they like and base on that give them all the shifts, fun if you like to be sat down on checkouts for a full 4 hours a day with half hour break, having to call management for stupidest things and then having to wait for them to rectify the issue.

Advice to Management

employ better managers who dont get stuck up because theyre higher up.

T J Morris2016-10-17
  2. "Straight-forward work"

Former Employee - Store Assistant in Rugby, England

I worked at T J Morris part-time for less than a year

Pros

Simple straight forward work and ability to potentially swap roles from stocking shelves to till assistant

Cons

Repetitive Tasks Can be held later than intended as you normally cannot leave till all stock is shelved

Advice to Management

Organisation at times wasn't great, but overall management team was supportive and aided with any problems.

T J Morris2019-10-09
  3. "Decent first job"

Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Long Eaton, England

I have been working at T J Morris part-time for less than a year

Pros

Nice hours for a 17 year old - allows for going out in evenings Managers are lovely

Cons

Reduced pay for under 18s

T J Morris2019-10-06
  4. "Long hours"

Former Employee - Sales Assistant

I worked at T J Morris part-time

Pros

Get more than your contracted hours

Cons

12 hour shifts with 15 minute breaks

T J Morris2019-09-23
  5. "Sales"

Current Employee - Sales Assistant

I have been working at T J Morris part-time for less than a year

Pros

Good Colleagues Some good management

Cons

Minimal pay Bad management

T J Morris2019-09-20
  6. "Decent place to work at"

Current Employee - Retail Store Assistant in Bilston, England

I have been working at T J Morris part-time for more than a year

Pros

Work is pretty simple, just putting out stock, tidying and till work

Cons

The pay is quite low and they only give you 4 hour shifts so you can't work 40 hours/week if you wanted to

Advice to Management

Pay your employees more and make the fill shifts start later, nobody wants to start work at 6/7 in the morning

T J Morris2019-09-19
  7. "Management at different stores can thoroughly influence your experience"

Current Employee - Sales Assistant

I have been working at T J Morris part-time for more than a year

Pros

- Having worked at three different Home Bargains stores across the country, the management at the first store I worked were very responsible with the knowledge that the way they treated those working junior to them could massively impact their wellbeing. They understood that, as much as was within their power, it was their job not only to ensure the well running of the shop, but to ensure that coming to work was as... pleasant as possible for their employees (problem customers, busy shifts, etc. are all part of the job, of course, but management should be able to ensure that the actual work environment, including the dynamic between management and employees, is a healthy one). - You get a 10% discount on products in store - Kronos system theoretically means you can put yourself forward for more hours, swap shifts, put in for holiday, etc. without having to fill in long forms. - I've witnessed first-hand that career progression is readily available to those willing to work for it. - Management at all stores I've worked have been good student employers in terms of being willing to work around exams, classes, lectures, etc. - Pay is above minimum wage (I'm 23 and earn 45p per hour higher than minimum wage) - Management at all stores I've worked have understood that some people work better in different areas of the store (eg. it's been my experience that older women are more confident working on the tills than on the shop floor), and wherever possible accommodate them working in these areas.

Cons

- In all stores I've worked, there seems to be a level of nepotism, and while this doesn't have to incur a negative impact (the first store I worked, a sales assistant openly spoke about the fact that her area manager cousin got her the job, and when a sales assistant position opened, the store manager's daughter in law very quietly joined the team, but both were hard workers regardless), it did in the second store... I worked at. Here, the store manager hired her younger sister (who seemingly had no sales experience) as part of the management team. Younger sister would frequently talk down to more junior employees, presumably knowing that she was 'untouchable' because of being related to the manager. - One of the stores I worked at, management was quite sexually suggestive to some female workers. I myself knew it was meant in a jokey way but could easily see others getting upset by it. - Second store I worked at were hugely oblivious to mental illness. On one occasion I started going through a depressive episode midway through shift (I have depression, which at its worse can lead to me feeling suicidal), and spoke to management to see if there was any way I could leave earlier (not even right away) than the all-day shift I'd been scheduled in for. Management told me I could leave early but to 'work through my depression' until they told me I could leave. They didn't tell me I could leave, I ended up working the whole shift, and having a major panic attack once it was over. If I had shown symptoms of physical illness, I know for a fact that I'd have been allowed to leave, or offered alternative help (eg. when another worker came in throwing up from a hangover, he was allowed a longer than standard break). Additionally, after deliberately making it known at my interview for this store that I, because of my high levels of anxiety, find that I work better when given specific feedback on what I've done well and how I can improve, only one member of management ever tried to do this. Invisible disabilities are just as important as visible, and given that the store operates a nationwide 'quiet hour' on a weekly basis to help people with sensory issues, you'd think that understanding of this would be drilled into management training to ensure unilateral understanding across stores. - Lack of standard procedure, or adherence to a standard procedure, across stores has made it difficult for me personally to fit into the various new stores I've joined each time I've moved home. For example: it's generally taught that aside from on the first aisle when all product is brought forward, product should be pushed back on all shelves apart from top and bottom, where it's brought forward. This changes by store, seemingly on management's whim, and can make it very difficult to know how to tidy the store (Eg. whether to go with the manager's rules or the company's rules) - Management in general at the second and third store I worked at were nearly all unpleasant (with some very pleasant exceptions). It was recognised amongst the staff at the second store that the store manager would not speak (other than to scold) to sales assistants, apart from one select favourite worker. When I told management that I could no longer work the last few hours on a tuesday (Eg. not even that I couldn't work tuesdays, just that I couldn't work the latest shift on a tuesday), I was told that my contract (which was twenty hours each week, though they usually scheduled me in for around thirty five each week with no consultation with myself) might be slashed in response.

Advice to Management

- More training in mental health awareness - Recognise that a good work environment is one where people feel comfortable coming to you with any problems, not scared of how you'll react. - Do NOT just hire people because they're your friends or family.

T J Morris2019-09-17
  8. "Crappy Managers and A Revolving Door of Trash"

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Warrington, North West England, England

I worked at T J Morris part-time

Pros

Other employees were nice people Good experience

Cons

Managers where rude and demanding Customers are usually also rude Poor environment

Advice to Management

Chill

T J Morris2019-09-29
  9. "Good job"

Current Employee - Warehouse Picker in Liverpool, England

I have been working at T J Morris part-time for less than a year

Pros

There is always Overtime and time pass quickly

Cons

Too Busy environnement and too loud

T J Morris2019-09-12
  10. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - Store Assistant in Newcastle upon Tyne, England

I worked at T J Morris part-time for more than a year

Pros

Very friendly managers, don't make you overwork like some places but options for overtime. Very well structured business.

Cons

Can get a bit repetitive and not many social events.

T J Morris2019-09-03