TD Ameritrade Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

3.6
TD Ameritrade Interim President and CEO Steve Boyle
Steve Boyle
Pros
Cons
  • "call center environment can get monotonous over time(in 52 reviews)

• "That I didn't find Scottrade sooner(in 38 reviews)

1. "Great culture"

Current Employee - Investor Services Intern in Southlake, TX

I have been working at TD Ameritrade part-time for less than a year

Pros

Working at TD is great. I’ve learned a lot about the industry and the people I work with are great

Cons

Mostly answering phone calls from clients

TD Ameritrade2020-01-17
  2. "Job going away"

Current Employee - Senior Specialist

I have been working at TD Ameritrade full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Solid company. Able to move around to work in different areas of the company.

Cons

Company was bought out so no more opportunities.

TD Ameritrade2020-01-14
  3. "My overall experience is great due to the variety of experienced and knowledgeable industry professionals I work with."

I have been working at TD Ameritrade

Pros

Friendly work environment, constantly help if you need it, steady work hours.

Cons

Work is the same day-to-day with no change. Bonus is based on random reviews sent to clients who often complain about wait times and things that are personally out of a Representatives control.

TD Ameritrade2020-01-14
  4. "Great company"

Current Employee - Desktop Support in Omaha, NE

I have been working at TD Ameritrade full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

culture, compensation, teammates, and management cares

Cons

none. love working for the company

5. "------"

Current Employee - Consulting Information Technology Specialist

I have been working at TD Ameritrade full-time for more than a year

Pros

- great work culture and great members

Cons

- I wouldnt say there is a con

6. "Great Place"

Former Employee - Retail Trader in Omaha, NE

I worked at TD Ameritrade full-time for more than a year

Pros

Decent pay, awesome people and management

Cons

Can not move up ladder as fast as you would like

TD Ameritrade2020-01-06
  7. "Poor Management Will Ruin Your Career Here"

Former Employee - Tech Support Specialist in Southlake, TX
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at TD Ameritrade full-time for less than a year

Pros

Strong Trading Platform Good Technical Troubleshooting Tools

Cons

-High turnover cause poor management. -Unprofessional work environment -under performing sectors utilize toxic and manipulative practices to maintain control and causing unneeded stress and pressure on high performing team members. -Often a Glorified Customer Service Position and nobody else in the company wants to back up the Tech Specialist, "because of our expertise" so you are forced to learn all business sectors on your own time and if not bonus pay will be severely reduced. Competitive Metrics of Sales for a Tech Support Team???

Advice to Management

You have to take care of your talent, you have to back up your tech team, and a manager has to have the confidence and authority to stop harassment.

TD Ameritrade2020-01-19

"Good company that's confused about direction"

Former Employee - Senior Financial Consultant
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at TD Ameritrade full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Associates at every level and position genuinely cared about the clients. They seemed to always keep in mind the impact their actions could have on the lives of the people they were serving, and would go above and beyond to do right by them. That kind of genuine client-centrism is heartening in this industry. - Culture is quite good. My managers, coworkers, and business partners were exceptional people and I enjoyed being around them each day. I still keep in touch with many of them. That said, it's a big company, so this is largely dependent on your location and team. - Educational support and resources for employees is generous. There are multiple paid training and licensing programs, as well as financial support for external qualifications such as the CFP, CRPC, CDFA, MBA, CFA, etc. Professional growth and development is encouraged. - Great relationships with RIAs. You can learn a lot from them and make excellent connections in the industry (which can help if, down the line, you want to work for one of these top wealth management firms). - The company provided great resources for clients, especially on the tech side. Robust website features, MoneyGuide Pro, and the entire Thinkorswim platform and its trade specialists were accessible for free, so you could feel good about showing clients those benefits.

Cons

- I’m not sure what will happen with the Schwab acquisition, but the past few years, TD was a company in search of direction. Actions and incentives didn’t align with corporate messaging at all, and were sometimes even counterintuitive. This unfortunately caused associates to view the corporate team as incompetent, uncaring, and/or dishonest. - Overall organizational instability. High attrition among ground-level employees is to be expected in this field, but even leadership was a rotating door. - The compensation plan changed wildly and frequently, leaving people unable to plan their work for the foreseeable future, and be forced to deal with unpredictable paychecks. Branch associates were asked to make decisions about their book of clients without knowing what impact those decisions could have in the next quarter or year. - Mistakes in processing client paperwork or requests happened way too frequently, and communication of those issues between back office and front office was spotty and disjointed. Because branch associates were the ones who actually had to deal with the fallout from angry clients, we ended up having to micro-manage all the time; our days were increasingly spent on hunting down paperwork and troubleshooting errors, which took time away from our actual jobs. And clients had to suffer delays and problems that they shouldn't have had to go through the frustration of fixing.

Advice to Management

More higher-level strategic decision-makers should be people who have actually been in a client-facing role in the last decade; I'm not convinced this is the case at all, or that they even seek input from those who have. This would explain why these decision-makers implement changes that every ground-level associate can predict will go wrong, and then have to scramble to fix their mistakes when things do, in fact, go wrong. I would say "figure out your direction," but that might not be relevant anymore with the Schwab acquisition. Instead, I'll just say that I hope you can keep the good parts of TD intact.

TD Ameritrade2019-12-20
  9. "Excellent company!"

Current Employee - Consulting Engineer in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at TD Ameritrade full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great colleagues, good environment in all

Cons

Some times I find that the tech management lacks dexterity

Advice to Management

Stay the course

TD Ameritrade2019-12-31
  10. "New Client Development Group"

Current Employee - NCDG in Omaha, NE

I have been working at TD Ameritrade full-time for less than a year

Pros

Monday through Friday schedule, great time off, good benefits

Cons

Very stressful, alot to learn with not so good training

Found 1319 reviews