THG Employee Reviews about "long hours"

Updated 10 Jun 2020

3.2
THG CEO Matthew Moulding (no image)
Matthew Moulding
Pros
  • "Fantastic working environment - managers are lovely and very supportive towards all staff(in 33 reviews)

• "Every day is fast paced but it allows you to learn and grow at a rapid rate(in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • "Unnecessarily long working hours(in 44 reviews)

• "Sometimes long hours and also unsociable hours(in 41 reviews)

Reviews about "long hours"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "You grow with THG"

5.0
    Current Employee - Customer Service Manager in Northwich, England

I have been working at THG full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Colleagues Atmosphere Benefits Progression Staff Investment

Cons

Sometimes long hours and also unsociable hours

"Awful work life balance"

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Manchester, England

I worked at THG full-time for more than a year

Pros

Innovative place to work, if you put the time and effort in it will progress your career.

Cons

The culture is engrained to ignore any concept of a work life balance, internal recruiters lie to bring to you into the company. Long hours are expected and not rewarded.

"Avoid"

Former Employee - Data

I worked at THG full-time

Pros

Decent pay and flexible hours

Cons

No support or training provided whatsoever, poor communication across the whole business Expected to work long hours

"A toxic, immoral organisation"

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Manchester, England

I worked at THG full-time for more than a year

Pros

There are some fantastic, talented individuals in the business.

Cons

Managers are incompetent - there are some who come in from external backgrounds who bring great ideas, but these are shot down and they're pushed out as it's 'the THG way'. Most managers are therefore 'THG born and bred', most likely as they've been bought up to be yes men and women. Profit before people - EVERYTHING comes down to figures, there is no acknowledgement of the fact that it's the people who have produced those. Shocking bonuses - Don't be naive and drawn in by the promise of bonuses, these are terrible, and don't make up for the long hours and unpaid overtime you're made to do. Car park miles away - Bus enthusiast? Great! You'll be waiting in the cold for one every morning to get from the car park to the office 3 miles away. Of course you have to pay £40 a month for this! Bullying on the floor - Watch board members bully women on the office floor and then not be able to take questions in return, once again, it's the THG way! Pay rises - If you're going to enter this hellish business, make sure you negotiate a good payrate, as you will never get a rise (each one has to be signed off by the CEO)! I could go on, but I just wish I'd taken notice of the reviews on here (not the fake overly positive ones commissioned by the 'talent team'). Don't make a move you'll almost definitely regret.

"Chaotic"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Manchester, England

I have been working at THG full-time for less than a year

Pros

Able to get a huge amount of experience in many areas compared to other companies. Can be enjoyable, but is very team dependant.

Cons

Long hours (42.5 minimum). Legal minimum pension. 21 days holiday. Huge amount of technical debt . Extremely high turnover of staff. The company relies on a constant stream of graduates. Very few senior/experienced people to learn from. Managers with little experience. Car park is expensive and you need to get a bus from there to the office, easily adds 15-20 mins to your journey. Every aspect of the business is disorganised and chaotic.

6. "Work hard, play hard"

Current Employee - Finance Manager in Manchester, England

I have been working at THG full-time for more than a year

Pros

Lots of opportunities to impress and develop

Cons

Long hours, poor work life balance

7. "Overall positive"

4.0
    Current Employee - Associate

I have been working at THG full-time

Pros

Exciting, fastly growing company with opportunities

Cons

Long hours and lots of turnover

"Good opportunities, but not for everyone"

No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at THG full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great if you are self-motivated and are willing to have a lot of responsibility really soon in your career. Chance to move across different roles and divisions - great way to find what you want to do and kick start your career.

Cons

Culture doesn't consider the actual human behind the work - you're just a cog in the machine. Lack of work-life balance (expected to work long hours without reward) Poor salary for the amount of work you do.

"Great opportunities"

4.0
    Current Employee - Senior Customer Acquisition Manager in Manchester, England

I have been working at THG full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Big business Lots of opportunties

Cons

Miss the basics E.g. long hours, parking is a 10 minute walk from office

"THG: Where nothing makes sense but everything matters"

Former Employee - Infrastructure Engineer in Manchester, England

I worked at THG full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The Hut Group provides great opportunity to work your way up the ranks and be exposed to a huge range of technologies. I worked within the tech side of the business and did throughout my whole career at THG. I initially joined as a junior support engineer, not proven and no experience, The Hut Group took me on and gave me the relevant training to become an efficient engineer. They are very slick with getting you to a standard that you can contribute within the team. The progression you can make within the company is sky high. For me, I came in as a junior support engineer and made my way up into the senior infrastructure team and taking on my own projects and being solely responsible for a global system. This gave me the chance to learn so much more and being young, I got the chance to do jobs and roles which you would be waiting years in a standardised company. The Christmas party is good.

Cons

To start, within the pros section i stated that progression is great at THG. That is true, you can go up the ranks becoming more senior and do more technically demanding work. BUT you go up, your rank goes up and your pay stays the same. If you do get a chance to ask for a pay rise, be prepared to hear next to nothing for months, in fact if you ask 6 months before you are valid to get a pay rise it will still be another 3 months after you are valid that you’ll hear anything about it. You ask your manager, and your manager goes up the chain to the top, every pay rise gets signed by the CEO himself, which adds to the already long delay. Your manager has to jump through a stupendous amount of hoops to even get a pay increase considered. That's then followed by pages and pages of justification, your justification becomes more well documented than THG's policy on matter. All this effort and politics for a small reward is more a slap in the face than the disparity in pay. To add to the money woes, the consistency within ranks is nonexistent. A brand new junior engineer now comes in on a higher salary than a more senior support engineer who was hired a year earlier, and is more qualified, and would that be fixed? Nope. The more senior engineer would just get a shrug and a swift telling off for finding out someone’s pay….within their own ranks. Everyone is so fearful to ask the people who run the company for money, you ask for a pay rise, it gets whittled down to just surpass the rate of inflation, you ask for investment in tech it is abruptly shut down with a 'make do' response. What adds to the frustration is that you are shut down for investing in the technology and then asked why it isn't better....the simple answer here is because you need to invest! Moving away from the money that you'd never see and towards the culture. Expect to work long hours, 45 hours is nothing within THG, a 60 hour week with at least one shift seeing midnight when you started at 9 in the morning. Is to be expected. You are stretched thin, to the point where personal life is affected. A horrible cycle no one should go through. The company goes through so many structure changes throughout the year that you lose track who owns what service and where to go for a certain issue. This is all in an effort to fix the issues with struggling with the workload that they have trying to fix the problems that have been pushed down the priorities list because 'Black Friday prep' reigns all. The solution is stability and investment, but if management need something, it is needed before the hat hits the floor. This makes teams lose all direction, how is a team supposed to work if they are just given the days biggest priority, with no context and what seems like no thought from the higher ups. One last quick one for this is comprehensive on one of many frustrations with the company, staff discount isn’t normally beaten by the companies own offers which goes out to everyone!

Found 41 reviews