THG Employee Reviews about "working hours"

Updated 29 Jul 2020

3.2
THG CEO Matthew Moulding (no image)
Matthew Moulding
Pros
  • "Fantastic working environment - managers are lovely and very supportive towards all staff(in 33 reviews)

• "Every day is fast paced but it allows you to learn and grow at a rapid rate(in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • "Unnecessarily long working hours(in 44 reviews)

• "Sometimes long hours and also unsociable hours(in 41 reviews)

Reviews about "working hours"

Return to all Reviews
  1. COVID-19

"Good company to work for"

5.0
    Current Employee - Customer Service Advisor in Northwich, England

I have been working at THG full-time for more than a year

Pros

Relaxed atmosphere, but also remaining professional. Personal feedback is highly encouraged in any areas , helping to grow and promote a work environment pleasant for everyone. The opportunity of learning something new every day, especially as part on the International team, due to cultural diversity which is very much encouraged and respected. Dealing really well with the pandemic situation, offering the possibility of working from home to keep us safe and with the same income or even more due to the overtime availability, if wanted. Flexible in terms of working hours.

Cons

Limited promotions available if unable to commute and having to stay locally.

"The worst company in Britain"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at THG full-time

Pros

There are absolutely NO pros

Cons

I worked for THG for a year and half. The working hours are long- They move your working days constantly, you receive your rota 1 or 2 weeks ahead, nothing to plan for in your private life. The company refuses during certain hours a visit to the toilet or a small break. The service to the customer is horrible, they actually do not care. Management support is nil, knowledge of management is nil, they absolutely do not care about the customer. Customers are constantly told lies. We sold monthly boxes, all they put in there is old and returned stuff. Old returned and ripped clothing is send out to the following customer hoping of no complaint. Fake products or previously used product are common issues. I brought this to the attention of the management many times, but they are in denial. The management has no proper background or education, it is all about friends and family relations. When I visited the Manchester office, I met the owner, honestly, I have never met such an arrogant person in my life. He looks down on his staff. He couldn't be bothered to acknowledge me or even shake my hand. The manager I was with, said, between you and I, he has no time for us. When I called in sick, the management told everyone what was wrong with me. I came back to work after 4 days and other staff told me the ins and outs. I have noticed this on numerous occasions, that managers just tell everyone someones private issues. Why I stayed 1.5 years? I am not the person that gives up easily, I wanted to try and make things work. But my manager said, you are here at your end station, unless you are related to anyone, education she said, doesn't matter, all that matters here is an I don't care attitude and being related to other higher placed managers. People get paid differently, some get 19k a year other 25k a year, all for the same job.

"Join at your own risk"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Manchester, England

I worked at THG full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I worked in Tech, so some of the below may be department-specific. Buckle up. But first, the good parts: • Compensation. Salaries at THG for new joiners are near unbeatable for the North West area. However, the range is huge and graduates from certain universities get a better offer without demonstrating adeptness over their peers. Given these inconsistencies, you should negotiate right away, as attempting a raise mid-way through your employment can quickly turn frustrating. If you're lucky, you'll end up being one of the highest-paid graduates in Manchester. • Learning rate. THG is a fast-paced environment with hundreds of projects going on at any one time. Features are pushed through the door like toothpaste out of a tube, and you will be exposed to tech you've never seen before right away. Within a few months, it's likely you'll have picked up a breadth and depth of skills that engineers at other companies can only dream of. • No red tape. Get ready for some of your code to go live in production by the end of your first week. The deployment process is relatively painless, but has worsened in the past few years. Still, there are almost no barriers in place if you have a good reason to access a system: most code from all teams is visible to any developer, write access to databases is there for you should you need it, bare metal servers can be logged onto and shut down by your user. This is a rare and unexpected level of freedom and trust: enjoy the productivity gains that arise from it. • People. The few bad apples do not outweigh the dozens of relaxed, friendly developers you'll relate to on a daily basis. If you spend enough time at the company you're likely to make few good friends, and you'll definitely retain many useful connections for the future. During your employment, you'll find that most of your fellow engineers are willing to help, be it sitting down at a desk with you or bonding over a cup of coffee. Whatever you enjoy, be it nerdy discussions about clean code or sharing memes during working hours, the department is large enough that you'll always find someone to do it with you. • No blame culture (at the bottom of the food chain). If you make a mistake, the focus is on fixing the fault rather than on blaming anyone. Managers may miss the teachable moment here and fail to prevent the mistake from happening again, but overall it's a safe environment to learn in.

Cons

Before we get into this, I encourage you to read the Pros above, as in many cases they may outweigh your concerns. If you truly care about your craft, don't immediately turn down a golden opportunity to become a better engineer at THG: you may find that you're willing to endure the below as long as it gets you where you need to go. I was. • Lack of forwards thinking. Sadly, this one is widespread and permeates all the other disadvantages on this review. Upper management in other departments is clearly looking to improve long-term, and this has resulted in huge growth for the company overall in the past few years. Unfortunately, this view is not shared by the top people in Tech, who don't visibly care at all about the slow but relentless downfall of standards across their department. During my years at the company, I have seen many individuals trying their best to plan for the future, trying to make sure Tech can survive for the next ten years, but not a single coordinated attempt to institute this as a best practice. It is exclusively thanks to the tireless efforts of these few talented individuals that the department doesn't collapse. You will often find yourself questioning the importance of new features you're asked to implement when compared to the detrimental effect of long-standing issues which have failed to be addressed for literal years. Every Black Friday is taken by hard-working middle management as an excuse to fix the most critical of these issues, while leaving the rest broken and hoping the rickety scaffolding does not succumb to peak traffic. This is because there is very rarely any time or resources allocated to maintenance - the year is invariably spent producing new products while older ones rot in the background. The effect compounds over time, making it progressively slower and more difficult to work with old projects stuck in the last decade. • Missing or unclear internal resources. There is no central Q&A forum and no department-wide knowledge sharing initiative. Communications from the top within the department are uncommon, abstract and vague. Group-wide communications are often useless fluff and disclose nothing of value, unintentionally furthering the divide between the company's goals and the employees' goals. For the majority of teams within Tech, connections with other departments simply do not happen, despite what you may be told in your induction. Discussion about salary is strongly discouraged, should you find that your colleague with identical title is earning half or double what you are. Discussion in general is rare; suggestions for improvements and constructive feedback are brushed under the rug and never spoken of again. Policies detailing performance ratings, bonuses, interview processes and many other areas people consider important are not clearly defined. There are no learning resources whatsoever - the company is unwilling to spend any amount of money on business licences for services such as Udemy or Pluralsight, depending instead on out-of-pocket contributions from middle management. Information is either in two places at once with varying degrees of accuracy and currency, or it is not there at all. • Horrendous state of code. In general, code across THG is a chaotic, disastrously mishandled, jumbled dumpster fire, with strong similarities to the Eiffel Tower if it was built out of bamboo cane and had only one leg. Overall architecture is dire: monoliths abound, micro-services are not even close to micro and poor design choices are the norm. Components are improperly tested, if at all. Documentation is non-existent. Code is duplicated, triplicated or worse across Tech, across teams and within individual projects, with some fragments appearing over 40 times. There is a pervasive, carefree attitude towards performance. Internal security only started to be a serious consideration in 2018. Libraries and frameworks used are outdated, sometimes by over a decade. Best practices are not promoted. Conventions, where present, are often ignored. Git workflows vary from good to not worthy of the term workflow; commit messages are not taken seriously. Progress tracking and delivery metrics are non-existent for most teams. "Right tool for the job" is a utopian statement with no bearing on reality. In addition, teams will deny responsibility or shift blame if you point out bad code. Having said all this, there are exceptions to the above, usually written by exceptional people who you will have a chance to learn from. There are clever snippets and good decisions hidden amongst the ashen rubble, if you choose to dig deep enough. • Apathy and disinterest. This ties in nicely to my last two sentences of my last point. Management benefits from your growth as an engineer, but you will quickly come to realize that any learning will be because of your own passion about your work, and your own care for your craft. Broadly, no one in Tech gives a damn about company objectives: people in the department will often quote the term "stepping stone" when asked to describe their experience working for THG. Since focus on quality over quantity is discouraged by the top, it becomes a necessity to be proactive, to go out alone into the codebase and mine for some coal that you can turn into diamonds. While there are some programmers able to take the time to benefit other people as well as themselves with what they write, they are few and far between. While on the vein of widespread apathy, the company places minimal importance on changes to your contract and other HR or payroll issues, making no effort to even appear interested in helping the individual. Minor issues like title changes or expenses processing take months to complete, giving the impression of an uncaring blank wall surrounding the people departments. • Hiring practices. On several occasions, individuals have been hired based on the talent team's desire to fill a quota and against the advice of all four interviewers. THG is popular for taking in graduates straight out of university, but up until recently the company has made zero effort to balance this out with more experienced people able to train the joiners. Both of these factors contribute to the current situation, which has gotten to the point where senior engineers with no shares are leaving and few new ones are joining due to the Group's infamous reputation. Offers are inconsistent and seemingly based on insignificant factors such as university of origin, with little regard for the candidate's skills. Two candidates with the same experience applying for the same job a year apart may receive offers differing by twenty thousand pounds a year. Competent individuals with two years of work experience routinely receive less than new graduates are offered; in a number of extreme cases, individuals with years of commercial work experience have been known to receive less compensation than a non-CS student coming to THG to learn about programming.

Continue reading

"Please be aware of fake reviews"

Current Employee - Business Development in Manchester, England

I have been working at THG full-time for more than a year

Pros

~ young, vibrant and hard working colleagues ~ office location

Cons

~ poor line management , never had any objectives set and no performance review received ~ lack of understanding in how to drive business. Too much of a short term mentality and moving too quickly from projects ~ no training or development for employees whatsoever ~ unfair bonus payments, based on favouritism only so don’t expect one! ~ senior managers promoted after 1year service and no experience, merit or ability are ignored ~ everyone out for themselves. only seem to care they look good in front of the CEO ~ ridiculous working hours, no balance and absolutely no benefits. Basic salary and minimum holiday leave and pension.

Continue reading
  5. "Great opportunities to start your career"

5.0
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Northwich, England

I have been working at THG full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Excellent opportunities given to develop new skills, positive working environment with a great team. THG will support and provide an excellent progression path for those who have the drive to succeed.

Cons

Longer working hours than others, fast pace environment and not for those who become complacent.

"Review"

4.0
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Northwich, England

I have been working at THG full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Friendly people, progression opportunities, flexible & approachable management, fun atmosphere

Cons

Long working hours & short lunch breaks

"Hard work"

Former Employee - PPC Manager

I worked at THG full-time for more than a year

Pros

Like being at University still, everyone super young. Average age 26 (which is also a huge con) Good stepping stone Fast paced

Cons

Poor work life balance Long working hours - frowned upon if you don’t do more than your contracted hours Heavily under resourced, so extremely stressful Workforce incompetent at roles through no fault of their own (lack of training) Poor management Car park a 45 min walk or 15 min bus ride away, that you have to pay for every month Bad culture, very negative

Continue reading

"Great entrepreneurial spirit let down by appalling management"

Current Employee - Communications, PR and Marketing in Manchester, England

I have been working at THG full-time for more than a year

Pros

There are plenty of opportunities to utilise your skillsets on a BAU basis. The Group rewards entrepreneurial spirits and ideas, meaning that if you want to implement an idea or oversee a strategy there is the room to do so. Great access to premium brands and prestigious buildings. The space to devise and deliver first-class strategic strategies and collaborations. Opportunities to utilise a high-quality creative team, to consult collaborative on the delivery of assets.

Cons

Lack of equality and parity between teams and often within teams. Big pay discrepancies, including between managers and their direct reports (in some cases with inexperienced direct reports out-earning their managers). Very poor management from the top-end on a BAU basis, with a lack of responsiveness often exacerbating issues. Poor people management skills at the top-end, often peppered with what could be perceived to be negligent favouritism. Often unclear career development opportunities, particularly within the corporate team. High turnover and poor, or sometimes rushed, hiring decisions. Inappropriate dress code, exploited by the many younger members of staff. Too many inexperienced hires in senior roles across the business. Unnecessarily long working hours. No compassionate leave or sick-pay. Poor bonuses. Terrible office location with no spaces to go for lunch. Frustrating parking situation. No home-working or flexible working.

Continue reading
  9. "Marmite company but a good place to start your career"

4.0
    Former Employee - Brand Executive in Manchester, England

I worked at THG full-time for less than a year

Pros

- lots of responsibility at a junior level - quick opportunities for promotion - bonus scheme - lots of freebies and discounts - fun & young working environment

Cons

- long working hours - political - high pressure environment, very last minute - inexperienced management - lack of consideration regarding employee wellbeing - lack of investment into brands

10. "No progression"

Current Employee - Meeting and Event Coordinator

I have been working at THG full-time for less than a year

Pros

great team and staff discounts

Cons

Working hours No progression Poor management structure

Found 52 reviews