Find jobs for Account Director

Updated 7 Jul 2020

3.9
TMP Worldwide President & CEO Michelle Abbey
Michelle Abbey
  1. "Work Hard, Get Noticed, Climb Ladder (Ignore Everything Else)"

Former Employee - Account Director in Chicago, IL

I worked at TMP Worldwide full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

If you're a hard worker and not afraid to put the team on your back, this is the place for you. I regularly went above and beyond my regular job duties - both in long hours and outside of my job description. That helped me move up the ladder and toward new opportunities. Exposure to major brands is a plus.

Cons

TMP often promotes people too soon (so they're not ready for the role) or once their back is against the wall (i.e. too late). That's because managers are often promoted out of necessity, not because they've received management training or particularly excelled at their job. In fact, most managers are in their positions because A) someone senior left the position and they're the most senior person, B) they have technical knowledge of their position so they can speak to clients. It's rare that a manager at TMP has been trained to manage people. I asked many times (and many bosses) for the opportunity and was often told "it's possible" but it never really materialized. I regularly asked for senior assistance navigating difficult employee issues but they were never resolved. I once tried to contact HR about a problem employee because my boss didn't take action after five (FIVE) one-on-one meetings about the team member's issues. HR told me that my manager would need to take care of the problem. So I documented clear violations and client dissatisfaction - still no action taken. It still irritates me. My team had little-to-no respect for authority and it quickly became toxic. Nobody respected the client or their sense of urgency - and a decrease in the quality of work quickly followed. The client noticed, people left, and it was entirely preventable. Company-wide, there's plenty of praise for a small percentage of people that's far out-of-touch from majority of the workforce. The same handful of (admittedly skilled and successful) people receive public praise on the mandatory monthly company call, but there's no connection to most employees. Which leads me to my final Con: there's no enthusiasm at TMP. Not for the work anyway. Minus the ~10% of gold-standard employees that deserve more recognition, most of the employees don't care about Recruitment, Digital Advertising, their client, or really anything in the office. They come to collect a paycheck and do as little work as they can. It's incredibly frustrating to see. It makes me understand when some people announce their resignation - it truly stings when you know they're off to somewhere that will treat them better.

"Alarming"

2.0
    Former Employee - Account Director

I worked at TMP Worldwide full-time

Pros

Casual work environment, good work life balance, 20 days PTO, and supportive colleagues.

Cons

It is alarming that a recruitment marketing and branding agency has such poor standards for its own organization from recruitment, benefits, on boarding, training, professional development, and exit interview. You know what I mean if you’ve worked here. All of these things are sub-par. Unethical practices to hit revenue goals and lack of marketing knowledge and experience is very evident with the lack of process and subject matter experts. I would not come here if you are looking to sharpen your skills because you will pick up bad habits. To make things worse, outdated coding and software technology, zero compliance and security protocol, thoughtless executions and zero accountability make it a nightmare to get things done. You will be going in circles for months trying to get the simplest things completed. Unfortunately, these attitudes are prevalent in the organization and you will find 98% of employees negatively poking fun at the organization (even leadership).

TMP Worldwide Response

November 5, 2019

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and we value the feedback regarding your time at TMP. I’m deeply sorry that your experience at TMP was anything less than exceptional. As the President of North America, I work hard to make sure we are transparent with all our employees about workload expectations, as well as to maintain the utmost integrity in serving our clients. You mentioned your dissatisfaction with processes and practices. While we know there is always room for improvement, we pride ourselves on hiring talent that delivers both ethically and with the full support of their teams. We continue to build a company where TMPers can leave on a positive note and provide feedback that is both valuable and helps to identify areas for improvement. If there are specific subjects you would like to discuss, please don’t hesitate to contact me at mike.newell@tmp.com.

3. "Best Place to Work; Best People to Work With"

Current Employee - Account Director in Waltham, MA

I have been working at TMP Worldwide full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- Professionally relaxed atmosphere - Wide array of clients spanning across all industries - Close-knit group of employees - Room for growth - the RVP and senior leadership gives you plenty of opportunities to show what you got. I have been at TMP for several years now, and moved up from an Account Executive to and Account Director and am positive that I will move up in the future. I have been given every opportunity possible here and met them head on. My advice to all looking for a job here: when given the opportunities, take them and show your stuff. You will be noticed and management will respect you. Growth here is very possible, you just have to be willing to put in the hard work. I love working here, love the people I work with, and can't imagine working anywhere else.

Cons

- Takes hard work to get to be a leader, but you gain your colleagues respect in the process - Not all positions receive bonuses Overall, I don't see too many cons here. I see reviews that say things like "cliquey atmosphere, and management only cares about some" but those are not true. What you become here depends on you and you alone.

"TMP - My Experience"

Current Employee - Account Director in Chicago, IL

I have been working at TMP Worldwide full-time for less than a year

Pros

I applied to TMP after hearing great things from a former coworker who was employed at the TMP Chicago office. I had no recruitment advertising experience, but spent several years doing media planning and account management at various agencies. The day that I met with the staff at the Chicago office was the day I knew I wanted to work at TMP. Everyone was extremely welcoming and I felt like they were genuinely interested in helping me grow professionally. You also interview from the 40th floor on Michigan Ave which is a nice bonus! From the day I started, I was actively involved in my accounts. What's great about TMP is that they allow you to make your accounts YOURS. While you'll have great guidance from a Client Strategist, you're the one who is executing projects and getting your hands involved in everything. Everyday is something new and the position really keeps you on your toes - you're going to learn something new daily. You will be busy... but you'll also learn how to manage your time and spread the tasks to different members of your team. The challenges are fun if you're up for it and it's rewarding to see your accounts grow. I'm regularly leading calls, presenting to clients and consulting about technology that I didn't even know existed... and I've only been here for 9 months and had no prior recruitment marketing experience. You catch on quickly. There are a lot of growth opportunities and ways to advance your career. TMP often shares employee success stories and it's motivating to see them promote so many deserving individuals. The management often encourages employees to choose their own path and you'll see some people flip departments which is great. TMP really takes care of its employees when you put in the work. Even if you don't have recruitment advertising experience, I'd encourage you to check out the TMP opportunities available. You don't have to be an expert to work here... you just have to be willing to learn and put forth the effort. Chances are that you've probably looked at a career site that TMP has developed before - just one of the cool things that TMP does.

Cons

It's not a con, but this position isn't for everyone. If you're not self-motivated, organized or want a fast paced job... an Account Director role isn't for you. If you're looking for something different than what I described, I'd encourage you to check out other opportunities in different departments at TMP - there's something for everyone.

5. "Great work environment with tons of opportunities for advancement."

Current Employee - Account Director in Waltham, MA

I have been working at TMP Worldwide full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Office culture is fantastic - great balance of work and fun. - Work Life Balance is a real thing here . - Workload is reasonable and there is tons of support from management and other TMP teams/office around the country and world. - Pay is competitive and PTO is generous. - Top performing employees are recognized and rewarded.

Cons

- Internal processes could use a little work to improve efficiency. - Coordinating projects between multiple TMP offices can be tricky at times. - Account roles can be a bit 'salesy'

6. "Good company, great agency experience"

Current Employee - Account Director in Boston, MA

I have been working at TMP Worldwide full-time

Pros

TMP is the perfect company for a self-motivated employee that likes to take ownership. There is opportunity to grow and move around the company, but you need to seek that out yourself. The office atmosphere is great, as well.

Cons

No formal training for new hires.

7. "Great Atmosphere and Challenging Work"

Current Employee - Account Director in Boston, MA
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at TMP Worldwide full-time for less than a year

Pros

They have an open office environment where everyone has the opportunity to get to know your coworkers and have some fun while you work. Most people are supportive and willing to teach or help you onboard. The work is challenging but rewarding.

Cons

Because everyone is so busy keeping up with client requests, there isn't always a clear distinction of individual responsibilities. There sometimes needs to be clearer communication between different offices/locations to be sure who is supporting what.

"Top employer for recruitment advertising experience"

Current Employee - Account Director in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at TMP Worldwide full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

There are great opportunities to learn about all aspects of recruitment advertising including media planning, digital strategy, product implementation, and employer brand development. You're not just pigeon-holed into one role but get to wear a lot of hats with top clients and learn about all things in this niche space.

Cons

Since our space is so niche, can take a bit longer than normal to onboard and learn the industry, best practices, TMP process.

"Think hard before working here"

2.0
    Current Employee - Account Director in Miami, FL

I have been working at TMP Worldwide full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

innovative technology and new ideas

Cons

no work life balance, meetings at 9 pm, poor upper management, lack of support, lack of maturity from leadership, and favors certain types of employees over others

Continue reading

"Paris office is a good place to work"

4.0
    Current Employee - Account Director in Paris
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at TMP Worldwide full-time for more than a year

Pros

The Paris office has great people and a supportive management. Also great clients, from big Cac40 companies, to smaller but interesting accounts. The agency is part of an international network, which is helpful when you need resources or assistance from English-speaking colleagues. You can learn a lot about employer branding and recruitment marketing. International mobility is also possible. The office is brand new and centrally located (Saint Lazare).

Cons

On the group level, very little is done to engage employees and train them. (I do appreciate however that the bigger offices in the UK or USA often step in to share knowledge and resources, especially when it comes to digital. ) Also, it would be helpful to have some standard HR processes such as regular appraisals, career plan discussions, etc.

Found 35 reviews