The Hut Group Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

The Hut Group Reviews

Updated 19 Oct 2019

2.3
The Hut Group CEO Matthew Moulding (no image)
Matthew Moulding
Pros
  • "I was concerned after reading many of the reviews but I made the right move moving to THG(in 29 reviews)

• "The Hut Group provides great opportunity to work your way up the ranks and be exposed to a huge range of technologies(in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • "Here are some cons - I guess they're a bit more general to all of THG not just tech(in 56 reviews)

• "long hours - dont get caught in the trap(in 47 reviews)

"Not great"

Current Employee - Office Staff in Manchester, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at The Hut Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Opportunities to work with different brands and not doing the same thing every day

Cons

60 hour weeks are regular with no overtime or lieu time, the staff car park is far away, discounts are minimal, salary end up being terrible because of the amount of hours worked. The work/life balance is non existent.

Advice to Management

Cut hours down to regular 8-4 or 9-5, give us more than 30min lunch break, give us free car parking

The Hut Group2019-10-19
  2. "Great opportunities"

Current Employee - Senior Customer Acquisition Manager in Manchester, England

I have been working at The Hut Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Big business Lots of opportunties

Cons

Miss the basics E.g. long hours, parking is a 10 minute walk from office

The Hut Group2019-10-17
  3. "Great for learning"

Current Employee - Performance Marketing Executive in Manchester, England

I have been working at The Hut Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

You get control and autonomy over your work and learn a lot

Cons

Lad culture and low pay. Also 42.5 hour work weeks which they don’t mention.

The Hut Group2019-10-06

"THG: Where nothing makes sense but everything matters"

Former Employee - Infrastructure Engineer in Manchester, England

I worked at The Hut Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The Hut Group provides great opportunity to work your way up the ranks and be exposed to a huge range of technologies. I worked within the tech side of the business and did throughout my whole career at THG. I initially joined as a junior support engineer, not proven and no experience, The Hut Group took me on and gave me the relevant training to become an efficient engineer. They are very slick with getting you... to a standard that you can contribute within the team. The progression you can make within the company is sky high. For me, I came in as a junior support engineer and made my way up into the senior infrastructure team and taking on my own projects and being solely responsible for a global system. This gave me the chance to learn so much more and being young, I got the chance to do jobs and roles which you would be waiting years in a standardised company. The Christmas party is good.

Cons

To start, within the pros section i stated that progression is great at THG. That is true, you can go up the ranks becoming more senior and do more technically demanding work. BUT you go up, your rank goes up and your pay stays the same. If you do get a chance to ask for a pay rise, be prepared to hear next to nothing for months, in fact if you ask 6 months before you are valid to get a pay rise it will still be... another 3 months after you are valid that you’ll hear anything about it. You ask your manager, and your manager goes up the chain to the top, every pay rise gets signed by the CEO himself, which adds to the already long delay. Your manager has to jump through a stupendous amount of hoops to even get a pay increase considered. That's then followed by pages and pages of justification, your justification becomes more well documented than THG's policy on matter. All this effort and politics for a small reward is more a slap in the face than the disparity in pay. To add to the money woes, the consistency within ranks is nonexistent. A brand new junior engineer now comes in on a higher salary than a more senior support engineer who was hired a year earlier, and is more qualified, and would that be fixed? Nope. The more senior engineer would just get a shrug and a swift telling off for finding out someone’s pay….within their own ranks. Everyone is so fearful to ask the people who run the company for money, you ask for a pay rise, it gets whittled down to just surpass the rate of inflation, you ask for investment in tech it is abruptly shut down with a 'make do' response. What adds to the frustration is that you are shut down for investing in the technology and then asked why it isn't better....the simple answer here is because you need to invest! Moving away from the money that you'd never see and towards the culture. Expect to work long hours, 45 hours is nothing within THG, a 60 hour week with at least one shift seeing midnight when you started at 9 in the morning. Is to be expected. You are stretched thin, to the point where personal life is affected. A horrible cycle no one should go through. The company goes through so many structure changes throughout the year that you lose track who owns what service and where to go for a certain issue. This is all in an effort to fix the issues with struggling with the workload that they have trying to fix the problems that have been pushed down the priorities list because 'Black Friday prep' reigns all. The solution is stability and investment, but if management need something, it is needed before the hat hits the floor. This makes teams lose all direction, how is a team supposed to work if they are just given the days biggest priority, with no context and what seems like no thought from the higher ups. One last quick one for this is comprehensive on one of many frustrations with the company, staff discount isn’t normally beaten by the companies own offers which goes out to everyone!

Advice to Management

It isn't going to take much for the great engineers within the division to find something better. Open your eyes before they are all gone.

The Hut Group2019-10-16

"Good experience -toxic culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England

I have been working at The Hut Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

If you start as a graduate, the experience is unparalleled as you genuinely get chucked into the deep end - but that's where the pros end. If you have an idea, run with it - and as long as you are willing to graft, it'll happen (unless it requires money spent........) Opportunity to work across the business - almost gives you an agency feel. If you put your foot down when you start, work-life balance can be... maintained.

Cons

Poor and inexperienced managers who are employed based on how much of a pushover they are as opposed to holding leadership qualities. Teams are all under-resourced and strain is evident. Retention is shocking - there is no room for feedback as everything is viewed as criticism. Arrogant directors who have no time for anyone beneath them. Discount focused model which undercuts all marketing/brand building... activities. Shady activity from buying & trading team who will "accidentally" discount brands to hit targets. Ridiculous "senior squad" mentality from Beauty CEO which creates a further divide Possessive CEO -Matt M - stop playing the humble card when you're buying whatever tickles your fancy A horrible culture full of people trying to one-up on everyone - many senior team/managers are micromanagers and not team players.

Advice to Management

Please train your managers and listen to your staff. When the whole buying team left due to leadership - it says a lot. People do work hard - don't treat them like children.

The Hut Group2019-09-24

"Talent Management are incompetent"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Northwich, England

I have been working at The Hut Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Flexibility - Family Community - Progress for projects (Individually & Teams) - Bonus Pay - Team Leaders want the best for you - The entire CS team and management is very helpful and support you.

Cons

- Talent Management are useless, over 20 emails sent for general enquires regarding progression and current job positions however as the members do not read emails and ignore them it is very hard to progress yourself. - Talent Management do not care if you already work within the company. Unless you personally know of the team they do not help or provide information which could benefit your career. - Applied... over 5 jobs at Manchester since being at the company for more than a year via THG Portal and have not even received an email to state thank you for applying or a call for more information

Advice to Management

- Keep pushing the mental health scheme as it really does help and show that we are not a number. - Keep letting some CS staff have tasks so they can push themselves. - You need to improve the recruitment process with Talent Management as they are decreasing the reputation of the company. People want to progress in their career and I personally believe Talent Management are holding people back.

The Hut Group2019-09-25

"country executive"

Current Employee - Country Executive in Manchester, England

I have been working at The Hut Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

can learn a lot but all rely on yourself, manager doesnt seem to be help but sometimes can be a disaster

Cons

no benefits, no life here

The Hut Group2019-09-30

"Great for Graduates, however no Work-Life balance"

I worked at The Hut Group

Pros

Great learning opportunities for Graduates Great progression if you're the driven type Great colleagues Very international environment Ability to make an impact easily Lots of data to play around with A lot of beauty products and free samples

Cons

Unsuitable managers recruited/moved to departments to lead where they've had no experience in the market whatsoever - does not make sense as the team stagnates in learning. E.g. don't have a General manager of a region that they've never had the experience in, dont speak the language or know the culture. It doesn't work if you want to grow the region. No work life balance, expect to be on your emails in evenings... and weekends. Lack of employee benefits vs other companies. E.g. no free tea coffee and you have to pay for this. Staff discounts can be good but standard ones aren't always higher than onsite discounts for customers. Very short term focused on hitting revenue to satisfy investors. Ruins long term strategy and plan and makes the next months worse when you discount all the time.

Advice to Management

Profit is important but not when you only focus on hitting short term revenue targets which are crazy. If you want to keep people, encourage healthy work life. Keep on diversifying business

The Hut Group2019-09-07
  9. "Not great"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at The Hut Group full-time

Pros

A lot of discounts, growing company

Cons

Low salary, hard to progress, not great communication

The Hut Group2019-09-09
  10. "Neural experience"

Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at The Hut Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

good opportunities if you're a self starter

Cons

chaotic environment, restructure every month

The Hut Group2019-09-06