The Institute of Cancer Research Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

Updated 17 Sep 2019

3.5
The Institute of Cancer Research CEO Paul Workman
Paul Workman
Pros
  • "Free shuttle bus directly from Sutton station to ICR(in 9 reviews)

• "good place to learn and be associated with cutting-edge science and research, good work environment(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • "Little career progression apart from the post-doc track(in 6 reviews)

• "Not many options for lunch, the ICR and hospital cafe are the only ones nearby (expensive(in 6 reviews)

1. "Great work environment"

Current Employee - HSO in London, England

I have been working at The Institute of Cancer Research full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great work environment and up-to-date scientific equipment and techniques

Cons

Little career progression apart from the post-doc track

The Institute of Cancer Research2019-09-17
  2. "Great"

Former Employee - Clinical Trial Assistant

I worked at The Institute of Cancer Research part-time

Pros

Friendly staff and good atmosphere

Cons

There were none to note

The Institute of Cancer Research2019-07-24
  3. "Cold and academic with poor transport links"

Current Employee - Senior Scientific Officer in Sutton, London, England

I have been working at The Institute of Cancer Research full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The ICR has its own bar onsite.

Cons

Trickle down management, poor transport links and individual teams stick to themselves.

Advice to Management

none

The Institute of Cancer Research2019-07-04
  4. "Great environment and good place for knowledge sharing"

I have been working at The Institute of Cancer Research full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Relaxed environment, good place to know professionals and share knowledge, great pension scheme, flexible hours.

Cons

Salary a bit underpaid compared to other institutes/universities

The Institute of Cancer Research2019-05-23
  5. "No Guidance Given, but High Standards Expected"

Current Employee - PhD Student in London, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at The Institute of Cancer Research full-time for less than a year

Pros

The work environment is very friendly, and many opportunities for conferences, travel, and collaboration.

Cons

I was put to work in a highly disruptive work environment with no consideration for health and safety. When I discussed this with my supervisor, the only space I could be given completely isolated me from my team and most days, other people. The isolation and the lack of guidance have been terrible for both my learning and my mental health.

Advice to Management

If a PI wants to take on a PhD student, ensure they have appropriate space for the type of work. If a student is not handling biomaterials, they should not be sat in a lab.

The Institute of Cancer Research2019-05-21
  6. "Top place for PhD!"

I have been working at The Institute of Cancer Research full-time

Pros

-Freedom -Student community -Lots of courses -Seminars -Making friends

Cons

-time pressure, students often confused,

The Institute of Cancer Research2019-02-09

"Great facilities, be careful who you work for"

I have been working at The Institute of Cancer Research full-time

Pros

The facilities on offer are amazing and the pay is excellent

Cons

Can be let down by poor management and big egos

The Institute of Cancer Research2019-01-25
  8. "Postdoc"

Current Employee - Research Assistant
    No Opinion of CEO

Pros

Flexible hours, remuneration, support, learning and development.

Cons

From engineering point of view, there is not much to progress

The Institute of Cancer Research2019-01-17
  9. "Busy cancer research clinical trials unit; good experience to see development of novel cancer drugs and patient benefit."

Current Employee - Clinical Data Manager in Sutton, London, England

I have been working at The Institute of Cancer Research full-time for more than a year

Pros

Strong independent cancer research focus with clear values (untainted from industry financial incentives), good work-life balance, great team mentality, communication of weekly news across all areas of research via email/intranet, clear support and training opportunities for employees, performance is rewarded with commitment to promotion from within.

Cons

Benefits typically seen in clinical trials companies (pharmaceuticals/CROs) not as great, high turnover in certain positions on an annual basis can leave areas short-staffed.

Advice to Management

Better interaction and understanding of separate departments’ work would be good, not just in upper-management positions.

The Institute of Cancer Research2019-01-05

"If you're thinking of doing a PhD here, be warned"

I worked at The Institute of Cancer Research full-time

Pros

There are some good research teams with excellent leadership

Cons

1. Beware of the team leaders who haven't managed to retain anyone who has worked with them in academia. This should be a massive warning sign when considering joining a lab anywhere 2. Unlike most universities, the ICR does not have a policy of a supervisory panel where a primary supervisor's advice and decisions regarding their student's work is checked regularly by another, more senior researcher with a good... track record of getting their students through their PhD. Now this may not be a problem if your primary supervisor is already an experienced scientist, or an exceptional talented and insightful young scientist with good management skills. But good luck if you end up with a self-serving and ambitious yet inexperienced scientist suffering greatly (and rightly) from insecurities because they know they've just been riding the waves generated by other people's hard work and have yet to contribute anything substantial to science themselves. Cue endless unsuccessful submissions of low quality papers trying to add useless knowledge to the world of cancer, and you being blamed for every failure. You will end up having to write your thesis in your own time because you simply won't be allowed any in the lab. 3. There is nothing anyone can really do to help you complete your PhD on time if you have the kind of supervisor described in #2. So make absolutely sure to speak directly and privately with existing members of a team if you're thinking of joining a team here. Find their work email, look them up on LinkedIn, do all you can because trust me, people in such teams will be truthful. 4. The ICR already knows who these people are, and in all realism just pays lip service to its own anti-bullying and harassment policy.

Advice to Management

Read the reviews people leave about their line managers in the exit questionnaire, and act on them if you really want to avoid further negative press about the bullying culture at the ICR.

The Institute of Cancer Research2019-01-14