Thermo Fisher Scientific Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

3.4
Thermo Fisher Scientific CEO Marc N. Casper
Marc N. Casper
Pros
Cons
  • "Less focus on work/life balance compared to other large companies I’ve worked for(in 173 reviews)

• "The drama from upper management was horrible(in 83 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Somewhere you can truly develop a career, be developed, and gain international exposure"

I have been working at Thermo Fisher Scientific full-time

Pros

I joined the company 9 years ago in temporary position, since then I've been made permanent, I've been promoted twice, I've attended numerous internal and external training courses, I've gained exposure and learned from senior leadership in the company, and I've had the opportunity to travel internationally. The company does cool stuff!

Cons

Sure - things get busy at times - but I'd rather be busy than bored at work!

Thermo Fisher Scientific2018-10-04
  2. "This place sucks the soul out of you"

Former Employee - Customer Care in Scoresby

I worked at Thermo Fisher Scientific full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Free fruit on a Monday

Cons

Toxic environment Low staff morale Management only look out for themselves

Advice to Management

Stop micro managing Listen to staff Start being pro active

Thermo Fisher Scientific2019-06-04
  3. "Field Service Engineer"

Current Employee - Field Service Engineer in Adelaide

I have been working at Thermo Fisher Scientific full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Travel around the world, to expand ones skills throughout the company

Cons

Family time, last minute travel, pressure to become an expert overnight on equipment to identify issues with software flaws. Min 120days travel each year

Advice to Management

Expectations and pressure to deliver AOP's on frustrated customers. Management not knowing equipment flaws or allowing time for resolvements

Thermo Fisher Scientific2019-04-22
  4. "Solid life sciences group"

I worked at Thermo Fisher Scientific full-time

Pros

Good resources available to achieve your objectives

Cons

Sometimes the overly corporatepolicies/strictness got in the way of aggressive business development

Thermo Fisher Scientific2019-01-23

"Good, but has potential to be better"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Sydney

I have been working at Thermo Fisher Scientific full-time for more than a year

Pros

Never a dull moment Great Colleagues

Cons

Does not deliver on value proposition, as too many in the organisation hide behind internal process, as opposed to driving an excellent customer experience. There is little work/life balance.

Advice to Management

Stop hiding behind the metrics. There is a shocking box ticking culture where if the internal process is being followed then it is assumed the job is done. Also, the is no follow through or direction given by middle management to ensure their teams are on the same page.

Thermo Fisher Scientific2018-11-11
  6. "TMO"

I have been working at Thermo Fisher Scientific full-time

Pros

Strong leadership and vision, lots of job opportunities both in the region and globally. Growing rapidly across the company.

Cons

Very results oriented which may not suit some people, and the rapid growth creates a lot of change. Can be hard to keep up with it sometimes.

Thermo Fisher Scientific2018-09-30

"Undervalued, Underpaid and Overworked - Australia"

Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Thermo Fisher Scientific full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- A lot of staff inclusion initiatives including Family Day, Green Team etc. - One stop shop for the science industry, have a large range of products. - Great training platform for your next role in Sales

Cons

- High push for sales visits, which add no value to the customer - Absolutely no care for work/life balance - Poor pay rates - Expectation to do large amounts of work outside of work hours - Delays in responses from senior product teams - Large local IT team, which still takes weeks for a response - Customers sales drop, will always be the salespersons fault (regardless of the customer having issues like site closures...

Advice to Management

Listen to your staff, they are not just trying to make excuses, they are giving you facts Message to Corporate - The 2020 vision of being one of the best companies to work for in the world, you are a very long way off in Australia

Thermo Fisher Scientific2018-09-24
  8. "Good workplace"

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Scoresby

I worked at Thermo Fisher Scientific full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I had a great direct manager, worked with some great colleagues

Cons

Crazy pace, they can overload you more often than not Very revenue focused Was very stressful at times Little work life balance

Advice to Management

Focus on real work life balance Be more outcome focused Look after performers much better

Thermo Fisher Scientific2018-09-10

"Great company with Australian Business Award in CSR"

Current Employee - Senior Procurement Coordinator in Scoresby

I have been working at Thermo Fisher Scientific full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

TFS is one of biggest Scientific corporation operated in Australian and New zealand, the company outperform a strong Corporate Social Responsibility in all year around, put an effort to train staffs.

Cons

Company has specifically focused on Science/Laboratory procurement, non-scientific background employee may have restriction in career path.

Thermo Fisher Scientific2018-08-17
  10. "Great company and start shifting from internally focus to focus on customers, markets and hiring better people."

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Melbourne

I have been working at Thermo Fisher Scientific full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Worklife balance, CSR activities, Performance driven, diversity; amazing products range, great career development and training, culture is changing being more aligned with global, supportive working environment

Cons

Complex organization, ERP system, some silo mentality, lack of accountability in some departments, still some legacy mentality.

Advice to Management

Start looking after your good people and removing those who are not capable. Continue to drive the culture shift and accountability. This can be a great business with all the products and good people in the company . Continue to invest in people and leadership to make it a great place to work.

Thermo Fisher Scientific2018-08-18