ThoughtWorks Consultant Developer Reviews

ThoughtWorks President and CEO Guo Xiao
Guo Xiao
0 Rating
  1. Featured Review

"Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Software Development Consultant in Sydney

I have been working at ThoughtWorks full-time for more than a year

Pros

ThoughtWorks provides great experience. The people you work with are friendly and very experienced. You can learn a lot of things just by talking to the others around you!

Cons

Can be hard to figure out career progression if you’re not self motivated

May 4, 2020Marketing

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback. I’m glad to hear you also enjoy our culture of learning and appreciation of the craft of software. Regarding career trajectories, we work hard to foster an environment where ThoughtWorkers can explore opportunities and create a path for themselves that might not be predefined. We will continue to keep our eye on this for sure to keep addressing the pain points that still exist.

2. "Grow your connections and learn"

Former Employee - Senior Developer Consultant in Sydney

I worked at ThoughtWorks full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

A great opportunity to grow your connections and learn a variety of different technologies in a short time frame. Colleagues are amazing to work with, and there are many opportunities to grow.

Cons

Being a consultant, many projects are difficult and not necessarily fun. For some, travel can be problematic. Similarly, software consulting requires people skills in addition to technical skills.

Continue reading

"Great place to polish your Agile and broaden your tech skills"

Consultant Developer in Melbourne

I worked at ThoughtWorks

Pros

TW is a great place to work when one or more of the points below apply to you: You would like to deepen your understanding of Agile / Agility (if you care for the distinction). TW choose clients where TW team has a degree of control over the delivery process. Hence you will have the privilege to see how some very experienced people organise teamwork. In addition to that, TW being a consultancy, you will be able to work across a range of clients and iterate on your skills. Just make sure you don't stick with any individual client for too long (I'd recommend 9 months to a year for devs). You would like to work with people who genuinely care about what they do. Over several years I worked with the company I did not meet a single person who did not have the right attitude, aptitude & integrity. If you are a developer, you will have the opportunity to experience a variety of technology stacks. TW encourages generalists. In my eyes partly because a generalist skill set is more "agile" from the perspective of varying market demand. You would like to work interstate & would like opportunities to work internationally. TW can request consultants to travel interstate based on the market demand. And if you would like to work internationally, you are able to request an assignment. During my time in TW I've seen many consultants enjoy that benefit. In my case TW were helpful with the relocation, air fares & temporary accommodation. You would like to work with women. Unlike a lot of companies who do lip service to encouraging women in tech, TW actually takes this seriously. There are women in leadership roles, women consultants, women developers. TW goes an extra mile to look for, encourage, and hire women. Also, TW supports women with paid maternity leave, amongst other benefits. Also, TW is a great place to work if you are a socialist.

Cons

Salary is below the market rates. There is an expectation that consultants go above and beyond for the clients, as well as contribute to their home office by organising groups, helping pre-sales, doing interviews & code reviews. To me that meant to get recognition in the home office I was expected to invest significant personal time outside of work hours. There was some talk in the home office about allocating work time for such contributions, but I wasn't able to make that happen. Only 2 days of training leave per year, unless you are a Lead or Principal consultant. Then you are able to attend more conferences. Also, for big conferences such as YOW!, not all consultants who want to attend are able to do so because of high revenue impact.There is a non-transparent selection process for who gets to go. Internal mentoring model is pot luck. In hindsight there are so many things I would have wanted from my mentor, but at the time there was little guidance to both myself and my mentor about how to take advantage of the relationship. As a result, I felt like I was "flying blind": do this project learn this tech, then that, then something else. It all seemed interesting at the time but in hindsight during my tenure I did not develop myself as much as I would have with better guidance.

Continue reading
  4. "Great People but Unsustainable Growth"

Current Employee - Software Development Consultant in Barcelona

I have been working at ThoughtWorks full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The people really make the company. You will meet a lot of passionate people who are genuinely kind and will help you with anything.

Cons

(Spain office) Unsustainable growth has really watered down the TW culture and left management and operations in over their head in terms of growing the office healthily. The extremely low ratio of operations team members to professional services team members obviously has people stretched to the limit which leaves lots of gaps that need filling. I fear the growth targets are causing us to lower our hiring standards.

June 5, 2020Tech Recruiter

Thank you for taking the time to review. We're glad to know you enjoy the culture at ThoughtWorks and in particular the people you work with. We hear your concerns in regards to the pace of growth we’ve had in our Spanish office; it can take time to adjust to rapid growth! On the other hand, despite how much we've grown, the way we evaluate and hire talent hasn't changed. We've always been thoughtful around how we hire as our people are our best asset and where we focus our efforts the most. Also, in recent months, we've hired more people into Operations in order to better support ThoughtWorkers in Professional Services. Thanks again for your feedback and if you have any further concerns, feel free to reach out to the People Team in ThoughtWorks Spain.

5. "Nice place to work in. Work/life balance is great."

Former Employee - Consultant Developer in Porto Alegre, Rio Grande do Sul

I worked at ThoughtWorks full-time

Pros

Work/life balance. Cool colleagues. Well defined career plan.

Cons

Some clients cultures are very different to TW's and you will deal with clients all the time.

"Passionate about technology, people & the environment"

Current Employee - Consultant Developer in London, England

I have been working at ThoughtWorks part-time for more than a year

Pros

Embrace diversity & inclusion Work with passionate, like-minded people Exceptional in current technologies

Cons

Everyone need to stay on top of the latest technology & programming languages

7. "Lead Consultant Application Development"

Current Employee - Lead Consultant Applications Development in Hyderābād

I have been working at ThoughtWorks full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great Work culture and people

Cons

Superiority complex of employees is a major set back

8. "A really good place to learn"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant Developer in Quito

I worked at ThoughtWorks full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Is the best company I've ever worked for. Good culture, good practices to learn and to apply. Amazing people working there, very smart and capable.

Cons

The flat hierarchy is not so flat. Projects are not always interesting.

November 27, 2019

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us. We’re glad that you enjoyed your time at ThoughtWorks and we agree with you: we do have some really bright people working here! In regards to your feedback about projects, each one of our clients have different challenges in their respective industries. We have so many different projects going on in many cities and in order to be an awesome partner for our clients, we need to staff those appropriately. However, we do try to accommodate ThoughtWorker's preferences and growth goals so that people get a broad range of experience and opportunity.

"Horrible experience!"

1.0
    Former Employee - Applications Developer Consultant in Bangalore

I worked at ThoughtWorks full-time for less than a year

Pros

No work pressure at all, chill life

Cons

1. Quality of projects that are undertaken is very low/bad (I was working on some data ingestion task in a graph db) 2. Doesn't matter what they say, chances are you'll be doing very trivial work 3. Horrible management! No effort is made to match employees' skills to the projects they work/consult on 4. No cutting edge work, hence, no learning 5. Compensation is very less, not according to industry standards.

Continue reading
  10. "Great place to grow!"

Current Employee - Consultant Developer in Belo Horizonte, Minas Gerais

I have been working at ThoughtWorks full-time for more than a year

Pros

I've had so many opportunities to grow professionally and learn new things, I could develop skills that have changed the direction of my career for the better.

Cons

Because TW is a company that worries about social justice, factors such as sexism and bias come in a veiled way, it may be more difficult to identify although people still feel it.

Found 44 reviews