Find jobs for Consultant

3.7
ThoughtWorks President and CEO Guo Xiao
Guo Xiao
  1. Featured Review

"Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Software Development Consultant in Sydney

I have been working at ThoughtWorks full-time for more than a year

Pros

ThoughtWorks provides great experience. The people you work with are friendly and very experienced. You can learn a lot of things just by talking to the others around you!

Cons

Can be hard to figure out career progression if you’re not self motivated

May 4, 2020Marketing

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback. I’m glad to hear you also enjoy our culture of learning and appreciation of the craft of software. Regarding career trajectories, we work hard to foster an environment where ThoughtWorkers can explore opportunities and create a path for themselves that might not be predefined. We will continue to keep our eye on this for sure to keep addressing the pain points that still exist.

2. "Great place to learn and grow"

Former Employee - Senior Software Consultant in Sydney

I worked at ThoughtWorks full-time for more than a year

Pros

- lots of smart people to learn and interact with on a daily basis - Amazing opportunity to grow as a human being and as a technical person - One of a few consultancies that have proper work ethics and doesn't want the f*** their clients - Most people are friendly and approachable - Non-toxic culture and no obvious politics - No pointing fingers or blaming anyone. people are very protected which is good but could also drive arrogance and immaturity at times - Extreme programming practices

Cons

- Cults, yes cults. if you belong to a certain group you are guaranteed good gigs otherwise you will end up in big corporates and boring gigs - Lots of arrogance, most devs think they are the best in the world and they are always right and the client is wrong - Lacking seniority and maturity. Unfortunately due to their low salaries, lots of seniors including myself leave for other jobs which have caused a lack of seniority within the company. it's obvious and everyone knows about it

3. "Great agile software consultancy"

Former Employee - Consultant in Sydney

I worked at ThoughtWorks full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great Hivemind. Variety of engagements. True agile delivery.

Cons

Culture can be a bit arrogant at times.

4. "Overall positive experience"

Current Employee - Software Consultant in Brisbane

I have been working at ThoughtWorks full-time for more than a year

Pros

- The objective ability to work on the cutting-edge for clients who expect the best software deliveries. - Family atmosphere - Budget for travel, food, expenses - If there is a client out-of-state they will pay for you to migrate there.

Cons

- Most of the work is fairly basic (development wise). It's cutting edge, but if you're looking to transition into more fringe topics such as ML, NN etc then don't expect it to be on paid time.

June 2, 2020

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us. We're happy to read that you feel ThoughtWorks cultivates a family atmosphere; we agree! And like you mentioned, there are ample opportunities for ThoughtWorkers to solve unique challenges for clients from a variety of industries. Thanks again for your review and for being with us!

"More smokes and mirrors than technical"

2.0
    Former Employee - Consultant in Sydney

I worked at ThoughtWorks full-time for more than a year

Pros

Most people are nice and helpful. You get to see different workplaces and tech stack. There's a genuine commitment to diversity.

Cons

A culture where everyone is nice but some people are just pretending out of social pressure. Salary is below average and they keep reminding you that on top of that you get a free meal once a week and your internet/phone reimbursed. The 'feedback' culture is really just for an outlet for your colleagues who disagree with you professionally or dislike you to make them temporarily feel better about their insecurities or their lack of professional success in their career (after all these years and all they know they just ended up at TW). The social justice agenda is often hijacked by social extremists with a Stalin-esque approach to the middle ground. Any other viewpoint is shut down and classified anti social justice. But in reality all you have is a bunch of woefully unqualified people who lack the knowledge or know-how (don’t even get into intellectual abilities) to properly sift through the facts of an issue and properly weigh the pros and cons and merely reiterate the unchecked popular views of the far left. There’s another review which writes about being more comfortable being on client site than with TW people. I can certainly relate to that. I felt I need to be careful what I say or better not say much at all otherwise it’s misconstrued as un-pc. Expressing I don’t like a dish during a meal can be construed as racist! In my first 3 months of being at the company I documented and counted the number of people who left by the farewell emails. It numbered 25. After that I gave up counting. This is roughly 10% of staff count in the region. If this fact is not clear, let me reiterate: 10% of staff leave every 3 months. Some of the staff is full of unjustified hubris reciting stories of how bad some interviewees are (a favoured pastime is to recount how many people they knock back at interviews, the other is how they charge premium to clients because they’re just so smart even though staff are often assigned to project they have no clue about, after all the company makes money by the number of bodies) or how they’re better than their clients even client CTO. The reality is their clients are NOT the likes of Google, Tesla, SpaceX, Amazon, Microsoft, Facebook or the like. Their clients are companies who are just aggregated slightly less knowledgeable than them. Not even that the reality is it’s the same people. Staff from client come to work for TW. TW staff leave to work for client. Not only that I have met more than one person who (admits) does not know how to code. After all the company earns by the number of bodies regardless of skill. The focus is on consulting skills rather than technical skills. It does not matter you cannot code, it matters more you’re good at consulting. To be slightly faster than the slowest person in the race doesn’t say much at all about your abilities. It only shows the people who share this attitude are really just ignorant + insecure who need to repeat themselves this rhectoric to make themselves feel better.

December 19, 2019

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us. It is important for us to hear that your experience was less than positive, as that’s not the reflection we’d like ex-employees to have once they leave ThoughtWorks. We are passionate about amplifying social change and advocating for an equitable tech future, however we always want our employees to feel open to discuss their views and engage in respectful dialogue. Our intention is to make ThoughtWorks the best place to work for employees who join us. Thank you again for your insights - it helps us make ThoughtWorks a better, safer place for everyone.

6. "Come for the people, stay for the people"

Former Employee - Principal Consultant in Sydney

I worked at ThoughtWorks full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

People, responsibility, Variety, freedom, transparency, leading tech

Cons

Stress, Variety, support, Travel, something

May 4, 2020Marketing

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We're glad to hear you recognise what makes ThoughtWorks remarkable: our people.

"A great people & learning environment"

Former Employee - Lead Consultant in Melbourne

I worked at ThoughtWorks full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

People Perks (after a fashion) Interesting work Self discovery

Cons

Cliquey Leadership & direction at the time was a bit scant Inconsistency between peers - some great, some... meh

Continue reading
  8. "Enjoyable for a short time, not forever."

Former Employee - Lead Consultant in Melbourne

I worked at ThoughtWorks full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great technical opportunities and good set of customers.

Cons

Too much fluff and hyperbole, not much technical pragmatism.

April 1, 2019ThoughtWorker

Thanks for the review. I appreciate the feedback! - Nicole

"A great consultant company"

Current Employee - Senior Software Consultant in Sydney

I have been working at ThoughtWorks full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- consultant has a lot of says on what they want to do - great work life balance - management care a lot about the consultants - working with smart people - agile powerhouse - never send you alone to a client

Cons

- no clear career progression - pay review with no clear structure - might require a lot of travel.. but i don't have to do one even after 3 years

10. "Grow your connections and learn"

Former Employee - Senior Developer Consultant in Sydney

I worked at ThoughtWorks full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

A great opportunity to grow your connections and learn a variety of different technologies in a short time frame. Colleagues are amazing to work with, and there are many opportunities to grow.

Cons

Being a consultant, many projects are difficult and not necessarily fun. For some, travel can be problematic. Similarly, software consulting requires people skills in addition to technical skills.

Continue reading