ThoughtWorks Consultant Principal Reviews

1 Rating

"Awesome opportunities"

Current Employee - Principal Consultant in Melbourne

I have been working at ThoughtWorks full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

ThoughtWorks is a company that really delivers on what it promises from a cultural perspective. Opportunities to lead are available from within your office, country or globally.

Cons

I have not yet met a senior consultant who has moved to ThoughtWorks to get a pay rise. The culture and opportunities generally exceed the payroll anyway.

Continue reading
  2. "Come for the people, stay for the people"

Former Employee - Principal Consultant in Sydney
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at ThoughtWorks full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

People, responsibility, Variety, freedom, transparency, leading tech

Cons

Stress, Variety, support, Travel, something

May 4, 2020Marketing

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We're glad to hear you recognise what makes ThoughtWorks remarkable: our people.

3. "Hard to imagine working anywhere else."

Principal Consultant in Melbourne

I have been working at ThoughtWorks

Pros

A company full of incredible people, providing great global connections, and regular growth opportunities. You can and should make your own path within the company, and it will pay you back many times over.

Cons

Internal systems and processes are poor and unstructured. Staffing projects is unpredictable and ThoughtWorks is finding it hard to balance individual goals with project needs. ThoughtWorks will take as much of your time and energy as you are willing to give.

4. "Amazing place"

Former Employee - Tech Principal in Pune

I worked at ThoughtWorks full-time

Pros

High percentage of very good teams Great people Great culture of collaboration Very friendly offices

Cons

Its a custom software consultancy firm , so you may not find all projects exciting. But again the percentage of good projects is high.

"Worst company for laterals"

1.0
    Former Employee - Principal Consultant in Bangalore

I worked at ThoughtWorks full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Salary - Some benefits like food, juice etc Honestly nothing beyond this.

Cons

- Just the environment to start with. Its highly unprofessional. They seem to think they are out of sky just by being unprofessional. - Clumsy workplaces (literally 8-10 people sitting around in a table filled with bags and wires and other accessories). - Any one can talk anything to customers and give any commitments and later say they gave no commitments. So many sleepless nights only to deliver what some brain dead person has committed. - Full of arrogant loudmouths who keep on talking just because they can talk and it gets rewarded here in TW for some strange reason. - In the name of job rotation, techies are made HR professionals. They display no empathy, personal connect with people. A case being an architect given HR management responsibility. Most arrogant and cunning person. Shows no remorse in circumventing the HR policies - eg: exit interviews are standard while exiting. However, if you are not on the good people list, exit interviews doesn't apply for you so that your opinions dont get registered. - People champions should defend the people. Here, they are dumbest of all people and cannot put forth their ideas because they have no experience in people management. I can add lot more. However, summary is, as lateral, you will not feel respected here. Your life is much better if you dont join. Best of luck.

Continue reading

"Not what it was, has devolved into a higher end body shop"

2.0
    Former Employee - Principal Consultant in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at ThoughtWorks full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

You might get to meet Martin Fowler

Cons

Everything else. Seriously. This is a company where good talent goes to be exploited. They hire great talent, promise the world, underpay people by over 50%, and make talent that has skills to start companies and change the world build things that do not matter and are not interesting. Do you have the talent to get into Google, but want to get paid 50% of your market rate, never see your family (100% travel required), and write boring Java code for grocery stores or banks? Come to ThoughtWorks! We will put you on a plane to amazing locations like Ohio, Delaware, and Oklahoma City while you work on your 4th divorce!

December 4, 2019

Thanks for taking the time to submit a review. We know work travel can be challenging at times. As a software consultancy, we believe we’re the best partner for our clients when we can be there working alongside with them. However, in order to better support our consultants, we’ve rolled out some changes in the last year, such as our Global Travel Program which improves flexibility, convenience, and choice for our consultants while traveling. We do appreciate the time you spent with us, though, and wish you the best of luck in your new role.

"Opportunity to learn and contribute"

Current Employee - Tech Principal in London, England

I have been working at ThoughtWorks full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

* Technology led. In other companies where I worked for before TW, technologists did as they were told by commercial people. I was amazed at the sway technical people have - and conversely, how focused technical folks here are on doing the right thing for customers. Treat us like adults, we behave like adults. * Agile engineering for real. Another thing that was truly different for me was the use of agile practices like pairing, TDD, etc, and the difference it makes in a team that does it for real. Other companies do agile theatre (standups, stories, etc.), but joining a TW delivery team was a revelation. * Values led. Although most companies have "social responsibility" and the like, at TW it's pervasive. It's not 100% perfect, we do make tradeoffs, but it's taken seriously. The flavour of this is changing somewhat with change of ownership (from a radical socialist to a private equity fund), but it's still stronger than most other companies I know. * Learning opportunities are amazing. You will work on multiple projects, in different industries, with companies at different points in their maturity, with different technologies. For someone new to the industry, working at TW for a few years will position you to choose where you want to go, and give you the experience and credentials to go there. * For an experienced person (I had 15+ years experience when I joined), you will be working alongside industry leaders, including very well known people, and people who are not well known outside TW, but are incredible in various unexpected ways. * Good people, good vibes, good culture. This is not an environment for a**holes. From top to bottom, people are supportive, open, and friendly. We have sometimes shockingly open conversations, e.g. on internal mailing lists where people raise concerns about strategic decisions and cultural directions. People generally bring their "whole self" to work, even those who aren't white cis. A strongly progressive culture.

Cons

* Travel obviously. Unless this is a plus for you, in which case it can be awesome. It's harder for older people with families. * Working your way up the promotion path (the grading system) is not easy, and takes longer than you think it should. Ideally this shouldn't matter - people are respected based on what they do and how they behave. But it's hard to ignore if you feel like you should be a Lead or Principal and a few years go by without progress, and people do get pissed off and leave. The review process is murky, and doesn't do a good job of helping people to progress within the formal grading system. * Change in ownership risks a change in priorities and culture. We were owned by a radical socialist, who has cashed out to pursue social change, and are now owned by a capitalist investment fund. The actual effect of this has not been much, we have the same leadership team. Some people - especially people who have not been here long - have an exaggerated idea of the impact this has had. The company has always shifted and changed, and most of the changes people notice are driven by our own leaders, not diktat from our investors. (e.g. we've worked for oil companies many times over the decades). That said, it can't help but make a difference when leadership is heavily incentivized to maximize financial growth and returns for our investors. The language around our "Pillar 3" has shifted from "social justice", in balance with commercial sustainability (P1) and technical excellence (P2), to being about an equitable workplace to attract talent to support commercial growth. In other words, Pillars 2 and 3 sometimes seem to be valued in order to support Pillar 1.

August 6, 2019Community Manager

Thank you for your comprehensive feedback. It is great to hear all of the positives of working at ThoughtWorks especially after working here for 8 years. Regarding your advice to management, we share our Glassdoor reviews with our UK Leadership team.

8. "Amazing journey"

Former Employee - Principal Consultant in Dallas, TX

I worked at ThoughtWorks full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

ThoughtWorks has some of the best and brightest people in the industry. They will challenge you to be your best every day. I had the chance to try our a variety of roles throughout my journey. The flexibility and support for career development is great.

Cons

Traveling to clients every week can get tiresome after a while. The non-hierarchcial management structure can make finding internal leadership opportunities challenging.

"Great company to work for"

Principal Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at ThoughtWorks for more than 3 years

Pros

Some really good people. Lots of learning opportunities. Interesting work. Flattish structure. Heart in absolutely right place.

Cons

Does not pay market salary. Flat structure confusing in terms of reporting lines

10. "Software Developer"

Current Employee - Principal Consultant in Toronto, ON

I have been working at ThoughtWorks full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Working at ThoughtWorks has been an absolutely amazing experience. I've worked shoulder to shoulder with the brightest minds in technology today, met and worked with my heroes, and travelled the world (India, Africa, US, Canada), all while solving amazingly interesting, super tough challenges with exciting technologies.

Cons

Travel is often amazing, but sometimes a drawback. If you're willing to travel for ThoughtWorks however, it opens up your career to the global market, which really increases the quality of the work you have access to.

Found 22 reviews