ThoughtWorks Reviews

3.6
ThoughtWorks President and CEO Guo Xiao
Guo Xiao
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. Featured Review

"Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Software Development Consultant in Sydney

I have been working at ThoughtWorks full-time for more than a year

Pros

ThoughtWorks provides great experience. The people you work with are friendly and very experienced. You can learn a lot of things just by talking to the others around you!

Cons

Can be hard to figure out career progression if you’re not self motivated

ThoughtWorks Response

May 4, 2020Marketing

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback. I’m glad to hear you also enjoy our culture of learning and appreciation of the craft of software. Regarding career trajectories, we work hard to foster an environment where ThoughtWorkers can explore opportunities and create a path for themselves that might not be predefined. We will continue to keep our eye on this for sure to keep addressing the pain points that still exist.

2. "Great culture"

Current Employee - Full Stack Developer in Sydney

I have been working at ThoughtWorks full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great culture, supportive team mates

Cons

Extensive travel because it is project based

3. "Nice place"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Brisbane

I worked at ThoughtWorks full-time

Pros

As a consultant it was nice place and good techies

Cons

I cannot recall any cons yet

4. "Great place to work, but very demanding"

Former Employee - Consultant Software Engineer in Melbourne

I worked at ThoughtWorks full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great inclusive culture and company values, most of which are even upheld.

Cons

Expectation of doing unpaid skilling up outside of regular work hours.

5. COVID-19

"Incredible people"

Current Employee - Lead Product Consultant in Melbourne

I have been working at ThoughtWorks full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Some of the most awesome people I have ever met, they are welcoming and friendly and don't hesitate in helping you when you need it and equally will have hard conversations when needed - Put people first - lots of places talk about this, but the actions match the words - the response through COVID has been nothing short of amazing both in AU and globally, ensuring that people had what they needed and were safe and all communication was straightforward and open. - Lots of different opportunities - being a consultant you can have gigs that go from 6 weeks to two years depending on what you want to do. There is getting to be a fairly diverse client set locally which means you can work in big corps, scales ups, start ups to not for profits depending on where your interests and skills lie.

Cons

- Relationship driven organisation - it can sometimes be hard to get where you want without having the right relationships with people, it seems like this isnt as much of an issue as it used to be, but if you don't focus on building relationships it can be tough to progress in the direction you would like to - It can sometimes feel like having two jobs - you have your billable client hours plus all the 'extra' internal stuff that you can get involved in (special interest groups, internal projects, social justice stuff) which can make it hard to get a work life balance but you will definitely learn lots by being part of the extra stuff and for the most part theres social aspects to it too - client life - TW does have a strong internal culture however you are often placed within the clients culture which can sometimes mean you feel like you arent getting any of the TW goodness. We also tend to work on super hard problems so engagements can be super tough.

6. "Not a bad place"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Melbourne

I have been working at ThoughtWorks full-time

Pros

Good colleagues, great practices, variety of clients, good place to learn

Cons

Less pay, fewer benefits less flexibility

"Not worth it if you want to grow technically"

2.0
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Sydney
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at ThoughtWorks full-time for more than a year

Pros

Changing projects gives some variety. Able to travel if put on right projects. Very big on agile development and processes

Cons

They make a big deal about technical excellence but it really is all about delivery and trying to milk the clients. You're pumping out low quality code with tight deadlines, not much career growth. Salary is way below the average you could get somewhere else.

8. "Great company and better people"

Former Employee - Principal Technologist in Sydney
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at ThoughtWorks full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Amazing talented people, interesting work, personal growth and learning, company that lives and breathes its values

Cons

Doesn't pay the best, consulting so you end up at less than good clients sometimes, you need to be a cultural fit which is quite narrow - or be able to tolerate it

Continue reading

"Poor performance in Australia for some years"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Melbourne

I have been working at ThoughtWorks full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Most colleagues are kind and nice, love the diverse culture. The global business is doing ok.

Cons

Lack of direction in the Australia business, and the Australia business has been struggling for some years, without good projects, meaning no good opportunity to improve on technological skills. The lack of growth means no good opportunities for career progression, and remuneration and benefits have been stagnant for some years. The management team is a small circle of long-time employees, and quite removed from other employees, and difficult to break in. To progress in this business, you would need to be vocal and loud, and build good relationship with a few key managers.

ThoughtWorks Response

October 20, 2020

Thank you for your review. While we acknowledge that with any business there are always challenges, we’re always transparent via our monthly town halls where we provide an open forum. We're always working to increase the diversity of work in our portfolio in terms of industries / types of clients we work with as we understand that a significant part of growth and learning comes from the work that we do on a day to day basis. To supplement this, we also continually focus on growth and capability development activities based on trends we see in the market and with our clients to grow our people and to ensure we have the right skills to exceed the expectations of the market and our clients We hope every ThoughtWorker feels comfortable and safe to approach anyone in the leadership team to share and discuss ways to improve. We invite you to bring this conversation directly to the leadership team for the betterment of ThoughtWorkers and the organisation. With the state of the world today, it’s even more critical for this kind of feedback to be shared so that we can continue to grow in the right direction, learn, and pivot quickly when needed.

"Dont even think to go here"

1.0
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Melbourne

I worked at ThoughtWorks full-time for more than a year

Pros

So, interview process was super nice, company pays your internet and phone bills. Thats all

Cons

Flat structure so you dont know to whom speak, ypu dont know anyone. People coming and leaving, ypu dont have feeling that its a place were you will work for a long time. They keep asking feedbacks while you are in a probation every month I was in a stress. They kind of keep saying oh if smth wrong tell us but nobody cares lol. For family people its a terrible place as you keep receiving emails at 10.44pm but in interview they said only 9-5 haha! When you dont have a client its not your fault but they made me feel bad, kind of its my mistake. After probation they keep asking feedbacks from people with whom I worked. A lot of politics and games.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 870 English Reviews