ThoughtWorks Reviews

3.6
ThoughtWorks President and CEO Guo Xiao
Guo Xiao
Pros
Cons
  • "Travel can be taxing to work life balance over time(in 43 reviews)

• "Nowadays I'm observing that many old thoughtworkers are leaving company which is not good sign(in 22 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Software Development Consultant in Sydney

I have been working at ThoughtWorks full-time for more than a year

Pros

ThoughtWorks provides great experience. The people you work with are friendly and very experienced. You can learn a lot of things just by talking to the others around you!

Cons

Can be hard to figure out career progression if you’re not self motivated

ThoughtWorks2020-02-23

May 4, 2020Marketing

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback. I’m glad to hear you also enjoy our culture of learning and appreciation of the craft of software. Regarding career trajectories, we work hard to foster an environment where ThoughtWorkers can explore opportunities and create a path for themselves that might not be predefined. We will continue to keep our eye on this for sure to keep addressing the pain points that still exist.

"A great people & learning environment"

Former Employee - Lead Consultant in Melbourne

I worked at ThoughtWorks full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

People Perks (after a fashion) Interesting work Self discovery

Cons

Cliquey Leadership & direction at the time was a bit scant Inconsistency between peers - some great, some... meh

Continue reading
    ThoughtWorks2019-04-02
  3. "Overall positive experience"

Current Employee - Software Consultant in Brisbane

I have been working at ThoughtWorks full-time for more than a year

Pros

- The objective ability to work on the cutting-edge for clients who expect the best software deliveries. - Family atmosphere - Budget for travel, food, expenses - If there is a client out-of-state they will pay for you to migrate there.

Cons

- Most of the work is fairly basic (development wise). It's cutting edge, but if you're looking to transition into more fringe topics such as ML, NN etc then don't expect it to be on paid time.

ThoughtWorks2020-04-17

June 2, 2020

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us. We're happy to read that you feel ThoughtWorks cultivates a family atmosphere; we agree! And like you mentioned, there are ample opportunities for ThoughtWorkers to solve unique challenges for clients from a variety of industries. Thanks again for your review and for being with us!

"More smokes and mirrors than technical"

2.0
    Former Employee - Consultant in Sydney

I worked at ThoughtWorks full-time for more than a year

Pros

Most people are nice and helpful. You get to see different workplaces and tech stack. There's a genuine commitment to diversity.

Cons

A culture where everyone is nice but some people are just pretending out of social pressure. Salary is below average and they keep reminding you that on top of that you get a free meal once a week and your internet/phone reimbursed. The 'feedback' culture is really just for an outlet for your colleagues who disagree with you professionally or dislike you to make them temporarily feel better about their insecurities or their lack of professional success in their career (after all these years and all they know they just ended up at TW). The social justice agenda is often hijacked by social extremists with a Stalin-esque approach to the middle ground. Any other viewpoint is shut down and classified anti social justice. But in reality all you have is a bunch of woefully unqualified people who lack the knowledge or know-how (don’t even get into intellectual abilities) to properly sift through the facts of an issue and properly weigh the pros and cons and merely reiterate the unchecked popular views of the far left. There’s another review which writes about being more comfortable being on client site than with TW people. I can certainly relate to that. I felt I need to be careful what I say or better not say much at all otherwise it’s misconstrued as un-pc. Expressing I don’t like a dish during a meal can be construed as racist! In my first 3 months of being at the company I documented and counted the number of people who left by the farewell emails. It numbered 25. After that I gave up counting. This is roughly 10% of staff count in the region. If this fact is not clear, let me reiterate: 10% of staff leave every 3 months. Some of the staff is full of unjustified hubris reciting stories of how bad some interviewees are (a favoured pastime is to recount how many people they knock back at interviews, the other is how they charge premium to clients because they’re just so smart even though staff are often assigned to project they have no clue about, after all the company makes money by the number of bodies) or how they’re better than their clients even client CTO. The reality is their clients are NOT the likes of Google, Tesla, SpaceX, Amazon, Microsoft, Facebook or the like. Their clients are companies who are just aggregated slightly less knowledgeable than them. Not even that the reality is it’s the same people. Staff from client come to work for TW. TW staff leave to work for client. Not only that I have met more than one person who (admits) does not know how to code. After all the company earns by the number of bodies regardless of skill. The focus is on consulting skills rather than technical skills. It does not matter you cannot code, it matters more you’re good at consulting. To be slightly faster than the slowest person in the race doesn’t say much at all about your abilities. It only shows the people who share this attitude are really just ignorant + insecure who need to repeat themselves this rhectoric to make themselves feel better.

ThoughtWorks2019-12-10

December 19, 2019

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us. It is important for us to hear that your experience was less than positive, as that’s not the reflection we’d like ex-employees to have once they leave ThoughtWorks. We are passionate about amplifying social change and advocating for an equitable tech future, however we always want our employees to feel open to discuss their views and engage in respectful dialogue. Our intention is to make ThoughtWorks the best place to work for employees who join us. Thank you again for your insights - it helps us make ThoughtWorks a better, safer place for everyone.

5. "Come for the people, stay for the people"

Former Employee - Principal Consultant in Sydney

I worked at ThoughtWorks full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

People, responsibility, Variety, freedom, transparency, leading tech

Cons

Stress, Variety, support, Travel, something

ThoughtWorks2019-11-13

May 4, 2020Marketing

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We're glad to hear you recognise what makes ThoughtWorks remarkable: our people.

"A lot of fluff, say one thing and do another..."

2.0
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Sydney

I worked at ThoughtWorks full-time for more than a year

Pros

Most people are friendly and approachable. Training budget. Programming practices (when they actually do it)

Cons

Salary is below average unless you're high up on the ladder . Technical learning limited (good for consulting skills). Staffing people on projects that they don't want to be on - not listening to preferences. Cliquey. Mix bag of talent.

Continue reading
    ThoughtWorks2019-08-08

December 19, 2019

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us. We’re proud of the culture we’ve cultivated here thanks to the ThoughtWorkers we have with us. We’re also glad you called out the learning and development programs we’ve worked hard to create; they are so important in helping ThoughtWorkers do their best work and grow professionally. When it comes to staffing, there can be an element of unpredictability at times. We do try to accommodate ThoughtWorker's preferences and growth goals so that people get a broad range of experience and opportunity, however we also have to balance these with our clients’ needs. Regarding your feedback on advice to management, we may not always get it right, but we’re committed to constantly building capabilities within our teams. We plan to share more insight into what we’re doing on our careers page in the upcoming year. Thanks again for your feedback.

7. "Enjoyable for a short time, not forever."

Former Employee - Lead Consultant in Melbourne

I worked at ThoughtWorks full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great technical opportunities and good set of customers.

Cons

Too much fluff and hyperbole, not much technical pragmatism.

ThoughtWorks2019-03-17

April 1, 2019ThoughtWorker

Thanks for the review. I appreciate the feedback! - Nicole

8. "Excellent for Software Developers"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Melbourne

I have been working at ThoughtWorks full-time for more than a year

Pros

Practises good coding methods, friendly coworkers, great company culture, individuals have a voice, working with intelligent people

Cons

pay is lower than market

ThoughtWorks2019-02-13
  9. "Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Perth, Western Australia

I have been working at ThoughtWorks full-time for less than a year

Pros

Flexible work environment, great team culture

Cons

A lot of travel, need to proactively manage career

ThoughtWorks2018-08-01

"It's still consulting - but it's good consulting"

Current Employee - Developer in Melbourne

I have been working at ThoughtWorks full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

People, people, people - including the rich and varied information flows that you can tap into at a local and global level. Deliberately contrary to what I've said below, the variety of clients/industries/technology stacks and travel can be a great way to build broad experience in IT. A company culture that cares deeply about our responsibility to make a positive change to the world and exhibits this value in a number of ways; client selection, low bono/pro bono work, political leaning, etc. Can be an amazing environment to broaden your thinking about the role of technology in the world.

Cons

Consulting can be a tough life; tough projects, tough clients, constant Imposter Syndrome, extended inconvenient travel, hostile environments, separation from the TW Mother Ship. Note: many of these things are occasional rather than regular occurrences. The pressure you can put on yourself to meet your own expectations and compete with the achievements of those around you (also a potential positive).

ThoughtWorks2018-06-23