ThoughtWorks Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

Found 36 reviews

4.5
ThoughtWorks CEO Guo Xiao
Guo Xiao

"Nice people and culture, pay ok"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Melbourne

I worked at ThoughtWorks full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It attracted a lot of nice people, and relatively without much office politics. Employees are smart, culture is very open and transparent, with some focus on good causes for the society, and did some nice projects.

Cons

Could be challenging for those who don't buy the company's culture and social focus. Pay for technical persons is ok but not very competitive for the talented consultants.

Advice to Management

Focus on the core strength of the business.

ThoughtWorks2014-07-27

"Great professional growth, but a lot of arrogance"

Current Employee - Consultant in Sydney

I have been working at ThoughtWorks full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It's a great place to work. Some exciting projects, dedicated training budget and you get to work with some truly brilliant people. Has a mission and vision that staff actually believe in. Very flexible with re-locating to other offices and countries. While your career path is ambiguous, it allows you to transition to any role you want.

Cons

ThoughtWorks has a reputation for having arrogant staff, and it's true. A lot of ThoughtWorkers fail to appreciate why a client has wound up in their current state and speak down to them and try to re-architect everything. This arrogance occasionally shows towards other staff, with new hires being dismissed or belittled because it is perceived that their outside experience does not count. Expect to travel, even if you're...

Advice to Management

You can afford to be pickier with who we work for. Regardless of their "brilliance", do not be afraid to performance manage staff who are steamrolling the client and other team members.

ThoughtWorks2014-03-09

"Great Company to pick up and learn new tools and technologies"

Current Employee - Senior QA Consultant in Sydney

I have been working at ThoughtWorks full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

- Freedom to try new things - Get to learn new tools and technologies - Work with talented and smart people - Great employee benefits

Cons

- Would have liked to be paid more - Travel can get hectic

ThoughtWorks2013-01-28
  4. "Love it - I've had great opportunities, challenges and workmates"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Melbourne

I have been working at ThoughtWorks full-time

Pros

- work with smart people who are actively engaged in their work and the world - lots of variety, different clients, different engagement types - good level of autonomy - great benefits including training, book budget, phone, internet - excellent opportunities for travel

Cons

- can ask a lot of you in terms of hours and energy - smart people, told they are smart, can be somewhat arrogant - can be easy to lose perspective of what life is like at other employers

ThoughtWorks2012-10-01

"We love it here"

Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Melbourne

I have been working at ThoughtWorks full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

We are all equals. I feel empowered, informed and cared for. I am left to do my job (consulting) in a way that makes sense to me. I get out there and am exposed to real life problems. I get the support I need to get stuff done. The people in our HQ are angels. They preform miracles on a daily basis to support all the crazy stuff we need to do for our clients.

Cons

It is hard work dealing with so many passionate and clever people. Some days I just want to sit by myself to take a breath. It is not perfect but by far the best place I've been at. ThoughtWorks expects a lot of me.

Advice to Management

Watch out. We are watching you.

ThoughtWorks2012-08-10
  6. "Awesome people, Awesome Culture, Awesome management"

Current Employee - Software Tester in Melbourne

I have been working at ThoughtWorks full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great people, Great Consultants, thought leaders, travelling

Cons

Way ahead of the IT market hence we are slowed down by the lack of maturity in IT field by other companies and consultancies

Advice to Management

You are doing the right thing keep it going

ThoughtWorks2012-08-06
  7. "4 years here and I still feel like I'm learning most of the days"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Melbourne

I have been working at ThoughtWorks full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You are given a lot of responsibility and are empowered to take action on what you think it's appropriate, besides the mission of advocating for social and economic justice

Cons

Salaries are not top end of the market, and it's sometimes hard to identify your career path

ThoughtWorks2012-08-05
  8. "Amazing people, career variety and self determined growth path"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Melbourne

I have been working at ThoughtWorks full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Amazing people, career variety and self determined growth path... have been here 7 years and in that time have been able to perform a variety of roles. ThoughtWorks have taken amazing risks on me and as a result, I feel very much valued and supported and that I am able to make my career what I want it to be

Cons

need to be comfortable with ambiguity, need to be confident enough to speak up when faced with incredibly intelligent people. Can be a bit confusing for some folk when you join due to the lack of absolute hierarchy

Advice to Management

tough one...... our culture is a big part of who we are and travel between offices is a great way to propagate that. However, I'm seeing some occasions where it is difficult for familes to relocate. May need to look at relocation approach for some of our consultants

ThoughtWorks2012-08-05

"A great place to work."

Current Employee - Lead Consultant in Sydney

I have been working at ThoughtWorks

Pros

Wonderful people, wonderful place to work. Private company focused on doing something great, not just making profit. Strong focus on improving the software industry and using software for social justice. Huge focus on helping people to grow and learn - especially focused on self-development.

Cons

It's consulting work. While I love it, if you're not cut out for consulting, it will be hard. The culture is a meritocracy - you have to consistently demonstrate ability over a long period of time to be successful.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work.

ThoughtWorks2012-05-08

"Awesome people, awesome environment, hit and miss projects"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Sydney

I have been working at ThoughtWorks

Pros

The community within ThoughtWorks is outstanding. Lots of very good developers who are very passionate about their work and want to share that knowledge around. The company management is very transparent about what its plans are and what is going on within Australia and around the world. Company is expanding quickly and feels like there are a lot of opportunities to go to new places and do new things.

Cons

Top end it consulting firm in Sydney means that a lot of the work that gets picked up is with customers who can pay for it which tend to be on the larger side. This can be frustrating when a lot of the most interesting work ou there is with the startups and small companies.

ThoughtWorks2012-05-08