ThoughtWorks Reviews

Updated 8 Aug 2020

4.1
ThoughtWorks President and CEO Guo Xiao
Guo Xiao

"Great technical people, but often projects are not that challenging or interesting."

Lead Consultant in Sydney

I have been working at ThoughtWorks

Pros

Great technical people. Lots of opportunity to work with new technologies.

Cons

Often projects don't have interesting work. Can get burned out on projects with lots of out of hours commitment.

Continue reading

"Great place to work, as long as you can keep up with the pace."

4.0
    Graduate Developer in Sydney

I have been working at ThoughtWorks

Pros

Intelligent people, good and efficient processes. Salaries are reasonable and there is a good benefits package including a new work laptop, paid home internet access and snacks and drinks supplied in the office. Lots of travel involved if you want it. The more experience you have, the more you can move around with ThoughtWorks. However, if you're in high demand, you might be asked to travel more than you bargained for. Most of the time though, resource management caters to the needs of those who want to stay in their home city or those who want to travel more. There is also an annual weekend away to a location in your home country with all offices in that region.

Cons

Lots of people with strong opinions, which can be a good point as well. Although you can learn a lot from the bright minds at this company, sometimes you can feel overwhelmed by the fact that everyone has such a strong point on view on any such topic. There can be a lot of stubbornness as well. This can result in an arrogant workplace where your colleagues don't acknowledge that they have to work within the existing frameworks before they can truly 'revolutionise IT.' The working hours are sustainable, although the job requires more than just your standard hours at work. Most people are also involved in lots of 'after hours' education and learning which means it can be difficult if you really want to maintain a good work/life balance.

Continue reading

"Great place to work for technologists"

4.0
    Business Development Manager in Sydney

I have been working at ThoughtWorks

Pros

ThoughtWorks is made up of many of the industries smartest, most passionate technologists! The company is very focused on changing the industry, rather than just making money. Technology and agile process are the key components of the organizations strategy. Domain Specific Languages (DSLs) like Ruby on Rails are creating a new wave of passion with the company.

Cons

The ThoughtWorks culture is very technology focused and developer centric. If this does not float your boat, you might find it tough going. The developers are generally considered to be the most important people in the company. This great for retaining developers but can be hard on other roles.

4. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - Consultant Developer in Pune

I worked at ThoughtWorks full-time for more than a year

Pros

Company is invested in your development.

Cons

It is not easy to change streams

5. "Good work life balance"

Former Employee - Applications Developer in Gurgaon, Haryana

I worked at ThoughtWorks full-time for less than a year

Pros

Work culture is good and a lot of opportunities to learn

Cons

Did not find anything bad about it

6. "Software Dev"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cologne

I worked at ThoughtWorks full-time

Pros

Very agile, open hierarchy, lots of smart people

Cons

Quite political since the Apex purchase

"Design team - a sinking ship"

2.0
    Current Employee - User Experience Designer in Singapore

I have been working at ThoughtWorks full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

TW overall is a good company but try to avoid design because of design leaders.

Cons

Company says they want to focus and grow the design so they decided to put two head of design for a team of 20 people? which doesn't make any sense. I have been working with them for quite a long time now and I can say both lack design skills and the leader mindset.  All they can do is just one thing... "TALK". Both can't deliver. I doubt if they have ever done any end to end design delivery.  Both head of design behave like mothers "do this, do that". They don't want to give autonomy to the team and want to control everything. Yup almost everything. e.g if both are busy the team gets messages like we can't make it today, let's cancel today's meet. We'll put something new" which never happens. Every team conversation is just about two buzz words, 'Value' and 'Impact' but the team always wonders what exactly does that mean? I bet just like the team they also don't know what both words are and they just use them to show off. It's quite common in the office to use buzz words. Both ladies have two faces. One for TW & SG leadership team and this face is very shiny, everything is going excellent, we are leaders and design is adding tremendous value, another one is with a team which is very dark and scary. There is literally zero team communication which happens because nobody has any interest. Why because both leaders fail to create that environment for the team which TW MD's and HR failed to see and understand.Team feels both are incapable and lousy design leaders. It's just no one wants to talk about this because all they care about is just doing the job and getting a salary. Everyone in the design team is on the verge of leaving TW because of these two. Maybe that's the reason people have started moving out of TW. There are other tons of points but i know nothing will happen because TW MD's will just talk to these two and both are smart enough to cover and brainwash MD's. It's just hopeless. They have decided to hire Sr and Lead designers instead of promoting internally. Why? Because both leaders fail to connect designers/team or mentor designers so that they can grow.  All both care about is their 'own' growth and faking around. Question is who will save TW SG Design team?

8. "Best place to work"

Former Employee - QA Consultant in Belo Horizonte, Minas Gerais

I worked at ThoughtWorks full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Very good technical people, diversity is present, good management support and career plan.

Cons

Nothing at all, this is amazing place to work.

July 24, 2020

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! We hope you enjoyed your time working here :)

9. "Really good for freshers"

Current Employee - Consultant in Gurgaon, Haryana

I have been working at ThoughtWorks full-time for more than a year

Pros

Work on new technologies. People are helpful.

Cons

Nothing i can think of

July 24, 2020

Thanks for taking the time to write a review! We're glad you find ThoughtWorkers to be helpful and that you enjoy the work. We're happy you're here!

10. "It's good"

Current Employee - Sernior Consultant in Stuttgart

I have been working at ThoughtWorks full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Colleagues are nice, no pressure

Cons

The work context doesn't have enough challenges

August 9, 2020Recruitment Marketing Manager

Thanks for taking the time and sharing your impressions! I'm glad to hear you enjoy working with the people at ThoughtWorks. We appreciate your honest feedback regarding the work challenges. Please be assured that we take this serious and keep an eye on that. Thank you!

Found 727 reviews