Find jobs for Senior Software Consultant

ThoughtWorks Senior Software Consultant Reviews

Updated 20 Jul 2020

ThoughtWorks President and CEO Guo Xiao
Guo Xiao
  1. "Great place to learn and grow"

Former Employee - Senior Software Consultant in Sydney

I worked at ThoughtWorks full-time for more than a year

Pros

- lots of smart people to learn and interact with on a daily basis - Amazing opportunity to grow as a human being and as a technical person - One of a few consultancies that have proper work ethics and doesn't want the f*** their clients - Most people are friendly and approachable - Non-toxic culture and no obvious politics - No pointing fingers or blaming anyone. people are very protected which is good but could also drive arrogance and immaturity at times - Extreme programming practices

Cons

- Cults, yes cults. if you belong to a certain group you are guaranteed good gigs otherwise you will end up in big corporates and boring gigs - Lots of arrogance, most devs think they are the best in the world and they are always right and the client is wrong - Lacking seniority and maturity. Unfortunately due to their low salaries, lots of seniors including myself leave for other jobs which have caused a lack of seniority within the company. it's obvious and everyone knows about it

ThoughtWorks Response

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. It's disappointing to read that you encountered teammates who seemed arrogant and felt they were always right. While we do value feedback at ThoughtWorks, we encourage employees to do so in a respectful way that promotes growth and cultivates a stronger community. In response to your comment about gigs, we do partner with clients from a variety of industries. At times, this may entail working with more traditional businesses with different goals and mindsets. We try our best to align ThoughtWorkers' skills and interests with opportunities, but it's not always possible to align these for each project. We do believe that as teams, ThoughtWorkers can make an impact when it comes to implementing solutions that are truly future-focused. Thanks again for your review.

"A great consultant company"

Current Employee - Senior Software Consultant in Sydney

I have been working at ThoughtWorks full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- consultant has a lot of says on what they want to do - great work life balance - management care a lot about the consultants - working with smart people - agile powerhouse - never send you alone to a client

Cons

- no clear career progression - pay review with no clear structure - might require a lot of travel.. but i don't have to do one even after 3 years

3. "Grow your connections and learn"

Former Employee - Senior Developer Consultant in Sydney

I worked at ThoughtWorks full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

A great opportunity to grow your connections and learn a variety of different technologies in a short time frame. Colleagues are amazing to work with, and there are many opportunities to grow.

Cons

Being a consultant, many projects are difficult and not necessarily fun. For some, travel can be problematic. Similarly, software consulting requires people skills in addition to technical skills.

4. "Pretty good school"

Current Employee - Senior Software Consultant in Barcelona

I have been working at ThoughtWorks full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- Learning all the time - Always have support from teammates - Pushing for diversity and inclusion

Cons

- Some of the projects are dull, either you work with boring tech or bad clients - Salary (in BCN) is lower than what other companies offer

5. "Good learning experience"

Former Employee - Senior Software Consultant in Pune

I worked at ThoughtWorks full-time for more than a year

Pros

1. Good food. 2. Great participation and volunteering in socio-economic activities and causes. 3. Flat hierarchy. No one to boss you.

Cons

1. For me, the staffing experience wasn’t transparent and wasn't particularly good. Because of some process issues at the staffing team's end, I had almost lost working on the project of my preference. 2. Since this is a services company, it is always better to get onto green-field projects; otherwise knowledge sharing becomes a challenge.

ThoughtWorker

Thank you for your candid feedback. You've listed some of the things that make us really stand out as an employer - the belief that people are innately responsible as well as being responsible as an organization to help make the world we live in a better place. We also value transparency and hence will share your feedback to the relevant departments. Wish you the best, Darshana

6. "A really good place to learn"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant Developer in Quito

I worked at ThoughtWorks full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Is the best company I've ever worked for. Good culture, good practices to learn and to apply. Amazing people working there, very smart and capable.

Cons

The flat hierarchy is not so flat. Projects are not always interesting.

ThoughtWorks Response

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us. We’re glad that you enjoyed your time at ThoughtWorks and we agree with you: we do have some really bright people working here! In regards to your feedback about projects, each one of our clients have different challenges in their respective industries. We have so many different projects going on in many cities and in order to be an awesome partner for our clients, we need to staff those appropriately. However, we do try to accommodate ThoughtWorker's preferences and growth goals so that people get a broad range of experience and opportunity.

7. "Strong Culture"

Senior Consultant Developer in Recife, Pernambuco

I have been working at ThoughtWorks for more than 3 years

Pros

- Very Strong Culture Focused on diversity and empower people - Very good developers

Cons

- Sometimes work as a consultant is very tiring -

8. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant Developer in Recife, Pernambuco

I have been working at ThoughtWorks full-time for less than a year

Pros

The better environment to improve you and innovation.

Cons

Anything until now since I have less than one year.

Continue reading

"Work with great people, travel, gain experience with many tech stacks"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant Developer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at ThoughtWorks full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The people are great. You'll make friends. As you go from project to project, you learn a lot about how different companies are organized, how their tech is structured. You'll gain a lot of insight into what works and what doesn't, and will take part in improving things. There are opportunities to work in other countries.

Cons

Staffing can be a crap shoot. Whether you're staffed on a great project in a great city (or where you live) or a so-so project somewhere you don't want to be is almost completely based on timing. Since retention isn't great, people will be leaving as they grow tired of the travel/consulting. No one stays at ThoughtWorks for the pay.

"Senior Software Consultant"

Current Employee - Senior Software Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at ThoughtWorks full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good people diversity. Passionate culture.

Cons

Many events to be part of.

Found 18 reviews