ThoughtWorks Software Consultant Reviews

3.9
ThoughtWorks President and CEO Guo Xiao
Guo Xiao
  1. Featured Review

"Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Software Development Consultant in Sydney

I have been working at ThoughtWorks full-time for more than a year

Pros

ThoughtWorks provides great experience. The people you work with are friendly and very experienced. You can learn a lot of things just by talking to the others around you!

Cons

Can be hard to figure out career progression if you’re not self motivated

May 4, 2020Marketing

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback. I’m glad to hear you also enjoy our culture of learning and appreciation of the craft of software. Regarding career trajectories, we work hard to foster an environment where ThoughtWorkers can explore opportunities and create a path for themselves that might not be predefined. We will continue to keep our eye on this for sure to keep addressing the pain points that still exist.

2. "Great place to learn and grow"

Former Employee - Senior Software Consultant in Sydney

I worked at ThoughtWorks full-time for more than a year

Pros

- lots of smart people to learn and interact with on a daily basis - Amazing opportunity to grow as a human being and as a technical person - One of a few consultancies that have proper work ethics and doesn't want the f*** their clients - Most people are friendly and approachable - Non-toxic culture and no obvious politics - No pointing fingers or blaming anyone. people are very protected which is good but could also drive arrogance and immaturity at times - Extreme programming practices

Cons

- Cults, yes cults. if you belong to a certain group you are guaranteed good gigs otherwise you will end up in big corporates and boring gigs - Lots of arrogance, most devs think they are the best in the world and they are always right and the client is wrong - Lacking seniority and maturity. Unfortunately due to their low salaries, lots of seniors including myself leave for other jobs which have caused a lack of seniority within the company. it's obvious and everyone knows about it

3. "Overall positive experience"

Current Employee - Software Consultant in Brisbane

I have been working at ThoughtWorks full-time for more than a year

Pros

- The objective ability to work on the cutting-edge for clients who expect the best software deliveries. - Family atmosphere - Budget for travel, food, expenses - If there is a client out-of-state they will pay for you to migrate there.

Cons

- Most of the work is fairly basic (development wise). It's cutting edge, but if you're looking to transition into more fringe topics such as ML, NN etc then don't expect it to be on paid time.

June 2, 2020

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us. We're happy to read that you feel ThoughtWorks cultivates a family atmosphere; we agree! And like you mentioned, there are ample opportunities for ThoughtWorkers to solve unique challenges for clients from a variety of industries. Thanks again for your review and for being with us!

"A great consultant company"

Current Employee - Senior Software Consultant in Sydney

I have been working at ThoughtWorks full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- consultant has a lot of says on what they want to do - great work life balance - management care a lot about the consultants - working with smart people - agile powerhouse - never send you alone to a client

Cons

- no clear career progression - pay review with no clear structure - might require a lot of travel.. but i don't have to do one even after 3 years

5. "Good benefits, decent salary, excessive corporate culture"

Current Employee - Consultant Software Engineer in Barcelona

I have been working at ThoughtWorks full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good benefits and the employers do care about your personal needs. Interesting projects and up-to-date technologies compared to most companies out there.

Cons

The enforcement of a "safe space" may be excessive at some times, reaching the point where some political views do feel indeed unwelcome and better kept in secret if they do not go along the main corporate culture.

6. "Great People but Unsustainable Growth"

Current Employee - Software Development Consultant in Barcelona

I have been working at ThoughtWorks full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The people really make the company. You will meet a lot of passionate people who are genuinely kind and will help you with anything.

Cons

(Spain office) Unsustainable growth has really watered down the TW culture and left management and operations in over their head in terms of growing the office healthily. The extremely low ratio of operations team members to professional services team members obviously has people stretched to the limit which leaves lots of gaps that need filling. I fear the growth targets are causing us to lower our hiring standards.

June 5, 2020Tech Recruiter

Thank you for taking the time to review. We're glad to know you enjoy the culture at ThoughtWorks and in particular the people you work with. We hear your concerns in regards to the pace of growth we’ve had in our Spanish office; it can take time to adjust to rapid growth! On the other hand, despite how much we've grown, the way we evaluate and hire talent hasn't changed. We've always been thoughtful around how we hire as our people are our best asset and where we focus our efforts the most. Also, in recent months, we've hired more people into Operations in order to better support ThoughtWorkers in Professional Services. Thanks again for your feedback and if you have any further concerns, feel free to reach out to the People Team in ThoughtWorks Spain.

7. "Good learning experience"

Former Employee - Senior Software Consultant in Pune

I worked at ThoughtWorks full-time for more than a year

Pros

1. Good food. 2. Great participation and volunteering in socio-economic activities and causes. 3. Flat hierarchy. No one to boss you.

Cons

1. For me, the staffing experience wasn’t transparent and wasn't particularly good. Because of some process issues at the staffing team's end, I had almost lost working on the project of my preference. 2. Since this is a services company, it is always better to get onto green-field projects; otherwise knowledge sharing becomes a challenge.

February 17, 2020ThoughtWorker

Thank you for your candid feedback. You've listed some of the things that make us really stand out as an employer - the belief that people are innately responsible as well as being responsible as an organization to help make the world we live in a better place. We also value transparency and hence will share your feedback to the relevant departments. Wish you the best, Darshana

8. "Great culture, but bad recent hiring practices and way below market pay"

Current Employee - Software Development Consultant in London, England

I have been working at ThoughtWorks full-time for less than a year

Pros

Overall, probably the best company to work for as a an accelerated learning environment. You will work on improving processes and culture at the client other than just writing code. - Opportunity for travel - - There is a good culture in the company - Social impact programme is great - Training is encourages - TDD and pairing by default

Cons

- Too much Java and not enough exciting tech - Recently most projects are way too enterprise focused - Hiring practices are not consistent; many newer employees should not have been hired - Salary is not great compared to the market - Seems like leadership is confused on the direction

June 11, 2019ThoughtWorker

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed, thoughtful review. We will pass on your feedback to leadership. - Darshana

"Great Introduction to the Industry, Strong Core Values, Wonderful Culture & People"

Former Employee - Software Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I worked at ThoughtWorks full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Individuals from all over the world and different walks of life which shows their strong embrace of diversity and inclusion - Passionate individuals with often strong opinions - Great environment for learning a lot and very fast - Great overview of the state of software companies all of the world due to such a wide variety in projects

Cons

- Paths to success within the company are difficult to identify past a certain point. - Lots of internal politics

April 1, 2019ThoughtWorker

Thank you for your honest and thoughtful review. We take all reviews to heart and appreciate your feedback. I know that we're working on scaling our leadership development programs to ensure everyone has a clear picture of the many career paths and leadership opportunities available to them. - Nicole

"Amazing social, professional and human experience"

Current Employee - Software Consultant in Recife, Pernambuco

I have been working at ThoughtWorks full-time for less than a year

Pros

Freedom to follow your own career path, a very agile and disruptive thinking spread to the entire company, an inspiring philosophy about equality of rights and social justice, amazing people everywhere in many aspects, it's a company that put people before process, humanity before bureaucracy.

Cons

The freedom to follow your own career path may be a double-edged sword if you can't manage what you want for your future in a consistent way or have a habit of waiting for things to fall just in front of you, it's not a place where you wait for things to happen, you have to pursue those things on your own and people there are very available to help, but you will need to speak out loud what you're thinking.

Found 21 reviews