ThoughtWorks Software Developer Reviews

ThoughtWorks President and CEO Guo Xiao
Guo Xiao
0 Rating
  1. Featured Review

"Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Software Development Consultant in Sydney

I have been working at ThoughtWorks full-time for more than a year

Pros

ThoughtWorks provides great experience. The people you work with are friendly and very experienced. You can learn a lot of things just by talking to the others around you!

Cons

Can be hard to figure out career progression if you’re not self motivated

ThoughtWorks2020-02-23

May 4, 2020Marketing

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback. I’m glad to hear you also enjoy our culture of learning and appreciation of the craft of software. Regarding career trajectories, we work hard to foster an environment where ThoughtWorkers can explore opportunities and create a path for themselves that might not be predefined. We will continue to keep our eye on this for sure to keep addressing the pain points that still exist.

2. "Excellent for Software Developers"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Melbourne

I have been working at ThoughtWorks full-time for more than a year

Pros

Practises good coding methods, friendly coworkers, great company culture, individuals have a voice, working with intelligent people

Cons

pay is lower than market

ThoughtWorks2019-02-13

"A lot of fluff, say one thing and do another..."

2.0
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Sydney
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at ThoughtWorks full-time for more than a year

Pros

Most people are friendly and approachable. Training budget. Programming practices (when they actually do it)

Cons

Salary is below average unless you're high up on the ladder . Technical learning limited (good for consulting skills). Staffing people on projects that they don't want to be on - not listening to preferences. Cliquey. Mix bag of talent.

ThoughtWorks2019-08-08

December 19, 2019

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us. We’re proud of the culture we’ve cultivated here thanks to the ThoughtWorkers we have with us. We’re also glad you called out the learning and development programs we’ve worked hard to create; they are so important in helping ThoughtWorkers do their best work and grow professionally. When it comes to staffing, there can be an element of unpredictability at times. We do try to accommodate ThoughtWorker's preferences and growth goals so that people get a broad range of experience and opportunity, however we also have to balance these with our clients’ needs. Regarding your feedback on advice to management, we may not always get it right, but we’re committed to constantly building capabilities within our teams. We plan to share more insight into what we’re doing on our careers page in the upcoming year. Thanks again for your feedback.

4. "The open organization culture you will love to work with"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Hyderābād

I have been working at ThoughtWorks full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Good work life balance - Strong culture specially in Hyderabad office, people here will approach you first to talk. - Huge list of events and learning - Transparent process - Team support

Cons

- You can't just stick to your work, you need to put same efforts for extra activity too. Its not a cons actually but an opportunity to leave your comfort zone.

ThoughtWorks2020-05-14
  5. "Great Company to Work"

Current Employee - Senior Software Development Engineer in Quito

I have been working at ThoughtWorks full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Multicultural environment and social justice

Cons

Salary are average compare with other companies

ThoughtWorks2020-05-11
  6. "My one year journey in thoughtworks"

4.0
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Hyderābād

I have been working at ThoughtWorks full-time for more than a year

Pros

Opportunities to know and connect with people from similar background in technology and development. Development best practices

Cons

some session like patashala particularly on development practices can be given to lateral as well.

ThoughtWorks2020-05-14
  7. "Great People but Unsustainable Growth"

4.0
    Current Employee - Software Development Consultant in Barcelona

I have been working at ThoughtWorks full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The people really make the company. You will meet a lot of passionate people who are genuinely kind and will help you with anything.

Cons

(Spain office) Unsustainable growth has really watered down the TW culture and left management and operations in over their head in terms of growing the office healthily. The extremely low ratio of operations team members to professional services team members obviously has people stretched to the limit which leaves lots of gaps that need filling. I fear the growth targets are causing us to lower our hiring standards.

ThoughtWorks2020-04-16
  8. "Good for some things, not so good for others"

Current Employee - Software Developer in London, England

I have been working at ThoughtWorks full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Work on different tech stacks Good rep Good code standards Good tech processes

Cons

Travel Office politics - if staffing don't like you then you will be placed on 'bad' projects Very low pay for less senior people while principals get insane salaries - very low pay rises every year Newer devs being employed have been ruining the culture

ThoughtWorks2020-02-22

May 4, 2020Community Manager

Hello and firstly, thank you for sharing your review - your feedback allows us to continually grow and adapt to the needs of our people. We're aware salaries can vary depending on skill set and industry experience - we review salaries annually to keep pace with market rates. We also encourage ThoughtWorkers to be open about their thoughts and expectations around compensation at annual review. We have collected your comments around culture and project selection and have shared these with our leadership team. We understand you may want to remain anonymous, but would like to offer you the opportunity to discuss further, if you'd like to have a catch up with myself, or a member of the leadership team, please get in touch using > rgorman@thoughtworks.com - Ruth Gorman, Head of People, UK

9. "Great place to work... If it fits your lifestyle"

Graduate Software Developer in Hamburg

I worked at ThoughtWorks

Pros

Like-minded colleagues through extensive interviewing process. Smart people that love to share their knowledge. High amount of trust and support.

Cons

Travel intensive work. Hidden social hierarchy. Rarely getting to work with colleagues from the same company. (much more frequent to be spending most time with client)

ThoughtWorks2019-10-03

December 16, 2019Recruitment Marketing Manager

Thank you for the time and thoughts you put into this honest feedback (and sorry for the late reply on this). We are working on gathering thoughtful reviews like yours which show us the pain points and which allow our culture to grow and improve. Thanks for the work that you do for our clients and to support your colleagues. All the best!

10. "Great company to work for!"

Current Employee - Software Developer in London, England

I have been working at ThoughtWorks full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great culture and learning opportunities. Always feel supported and driven to improve.

Cons

Not the most competitive salaries, especially given the type of work we do. As it's a consultancy, projects vary a lot and you often don't have a say in which project you go to.

ThoughtWorks2019-07-19

August 6, 2019Community Manager

Thank you for spending your time writing this review. Great to hear that you are continuously learning during your time at ThoughtWorks.

Found 56 reviews