TripAdvisor Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. Featured Review

"always getting better"

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time

Pros

Best company i ever worked for. People genuinely care.

Cons

Not for the dispassionate, if you want it easy, this is not the company for you

10 Dec 2017 – TripAdvisor

Thanks so much for your review and we appreciate you highlighting our passionate team. We couldn’t agree more that it’s our people that make TripAdvisor a wonderful place to work. Thanks for your... More

2. "Great company to work for....dynamic with a great culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brisbane
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brisbane

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- global company
    - expanding rapidly
    - young and dynamic
    - rewards for results
    - charity focused....giving back

Cons

None that I have discovered in my 11 months so far.....hopefully this will continue to be the case!

Advice to Management

Please don't let the company become too "corporate" and bureaucratic. This happened at my last employer and killed morale and caused a lot of good people to leave.

"The Management System is over-hierarchical"

I worked at TripAdvisor full-time

Pros

Good office in Sydney. Good office services.

Cons

Old technologies, No perspectives. Is hard to suggest any initiatives.

"The land of the greats..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay relatively well. Good perks.

Cons

Determined to destroy company culture with traditional ways of thinking.
    Archaic and waterfall. A software company stuck in 2000s.
    Leaders still championing past achievements. HIPPO mentality running rampant.
    Middle management similar to a wintery wonderland. Frozen to change but happy to get drunk on free booze.
    Incredibly complicated communication chains. Reactive not proactive, death knell to innovation.
    Upper management is a VIP club mentality. Untouchable and determined to sink with the ship.

Advice to Management

Cut the feedback loops, flatten the structure, encourage fast failure and experimentation. Simplify your product offering.

8 Aug 2017 – TripAdvisor

We appreciate you leaving your feedback although we’re very surprised by this review.

Over the past few years we have invested heavily in an Agile transformation which required large amounts of... More

"Viator finance"

Current Employee - Viator Finance in Sydney
    Current Employee - Viator Finance in Sydney

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free snacks and lunches with great health benifits but all this is not worth it.

Cons

Poor management, manager treated employees like children, controlling of what we do, not allow to pick up person calls or make personal calls. Need to get permisson to attend meetings. Micro mangement. Working overtime with crazy hours, no overtime pays, no time in lieu. Stressful enviroment and management dont care what you have to say...its their way or the high way. They work you like a slave.

Advice to Management

Have some respect for all your lower employees and listen to what they have to say.

"Still new but generally positive"

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time

Pros

Good benefits. Well known, growing company

Cons

Where I work I feel disconnected from what is happening. Feels like head office is an entirely different world.

Advice to Management

Ensure that all employees worldwide feel part of the organisation.

"Great place to work... sort of"

Former Employee - Product Manager in Needham, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Needham, MA (US)

I worked at TripAdvisor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

First and foremost... the people are incredible. Smart, fun, fairly diverse, and generally great at what they do.

It's fun to work for a company that has such a strong reputation, for a few reasons: (1) I don't have to explain what my employer does; (2) It's nice to get that "Oooh, you work for TripAdvisor! Cool!" response; and (3) Recruiters LOVE to poach from Trip, especially for engineers and product folks, so there's a near-constant stream of inbound interest if you're thinking about looking elsewhere.

The HQ building is really excellent - a top perk, with the on-site gym and locker rooms, the cafeteria, the outdoor space, the desks. It's easy to forget you're at work.

Benefits and perks are outstanding and include: excellent and cheap (or free) health plan plus dental and vision; 401K matching (up to 3% of your salary); free lunch with many diverse choices (salad, soup, sandwiches, pizza, multiple hot options, healthy choices, dessert, fruit, and more); unlimited snacks and drinks; the aforementioned gym; an annual personal travel reimbursement; significant charity donation matching; annual fitness benefit which can be spent on many things including sports leagues; and much more.

Work-life balance is a priority (for most teams), meaning you can work 10am-7pm, 8am-4pm, or another set of hours if you choose, and can come and go as you please as long as your work is getting done.

Best of all, you cannot help but learn a tremendous amount just by being part of such amazing teams.

Cons

I could have been at TripAdvisor a lot longer - I had no need to leave just to go elsewhere, but there were many factors that contributed to pushing me out the door. As a point of information, I left for a role at another company, so I do not feel like I was fleeing TripAdvisor - but I also don't feel like I was "retained" very well, either.

More importantly, these criticisms come from a large number of conversations with current and former employees across the company - so while you should take them with some salt, also know they are not merely the ramlings of one person.

My criticism falls into two major categories: Management and Consistency

Management
    -----------------
    There appears to be no focus on "people management" as a high-value skill set, particularly among those who have direct reports. In four years at the company, I had six managers - only one of whom seemed to focus in any way on helping his/her direct reports succeed in their careers. In fact, a number of these managers seemed far more incentivized NOT to promote their direct reports than to move them up the chain. In particular, most of the managers in the product management group appear less interested in managing people than in managing products.

One possible reason for this lack of strong management is that individual contributors are promoted to positions in which they manage other people without any regard for whether they (a) want to or (b) should be. Not only does this make for a really poor work experience for their direct reports, it also diminishes the experience for the manager. Other than engineers, no functions have a career path beyond (senior) individual contributor that does not involve people management - so even those who are not inclined to accept those responsibilities have an incentive to take them on in order to move ahead.

Because management are hired for technical competencies instead of a specific management skill set, there is a distinct lack of empathy - it simply doesn't seem to be promoted as a required trait or skill among those who are responsible for the careers of others. For example: on being told that my 4th quarter performance wasn't where it had been the rest of the year, I asked when my manager had noticed this change; he said "a few weeks into the quarter." I asked why he didn't bring it up (or even ask me if everything was alright), and instead waited until 2+ months later; his response was, "Oh yeah, I guess I could have done that." That's just one example, but it's fairly illustrative of the value (or lack thereof) placed on treating direct reports with compassion as fellow human beings.

Consistency
    ---------------
    There doesn't seem to be any consistency between the company's stated "values" and management's actions. For example, "We're always learning" does not seem to be reflected in a desire to have managers learning how to be better at their jobs - apparently it's for the rank-and-file only. No matter how much upper management (particularly HR) want people to act according to the company's values, there must be incentives in place for each level to do so - otherwise the whole chain falls apart. Of course, this is not a surprise since middle management isn't chosen for their ability to lead but rather for their ability to perform as individual contributors.

Having worked in multiple groups within the company, I would also point out inconsistent promotion schedules and criteria as another issue. In particular, a "Competencies Matrix" was released for product managers - and was subsequently used in different ways to avoid promotions. Even after a representative from HR stated outright in a group, "You do not have to be performing at the next level in all of these criteria in order to move up," at the next review my manager said, "I didn't hear that" - and nobody up the chain was willing to correct him.

Although a company of this size is due to have reorganizations on a fairly regular basis, the two groups in which I have worked over my time at TripAdvisor were subject to no fewer than 6 in less than 4 years, ranging from a simple, "We're changing the reporting structure" to a full-on "We're being absorbed into a different group." This has a massive impact on employee morale and was very poorly managed and communicated, resulting in an even larger negative outcome. Due to these changes, I went from reporting to a Vice President to being three layers below the same position in the span of 16 months.

Finally, in many cases pay is not commensurate with experience. Product Managers with 5-10 years of work experience are paid at or below market value, while members of the post-MBA product rotation program are paid 20-30% more from the start. Yes, we are attempting to compete for talent with other companies, but the toll that this revelation takes on the psyches of PMs who aren't in that program (particularly those who have MBAs) cannot be underestimated.

Advice to Management

I sat down with Beth (Chief People Office) and detailed everything I would be writing - first because I wanted her to have a chance to hear it from me, and second, because nearly every critical review is met with, "I wish you'd brought this to me first." I loved working at TripAdvisor, and wanted to stay - but for all the positives, the negatives outweighed them and it was long past time for me to leave.

Here's how you could have saved an employee like me (and perhaps many of the others who have been leaving more and more frequently lately):

- Focus every level of the company on learning how to manage people; as part of this, give middle managers an incentive for helping their team members advance. If you're not going to do that, then accept frequent departures of high-performing individual contributors as the cost of doing business.

- Push for more 360-degree performance reviews, particularly for managers, so that you can proactively identify managers who are causing problems without asking employees to come forward to HR.

- Create career paths for high-performing (non-engineer) individual contributors to be promoted without taking on direct reports.

- Give employees a way to make a case for being promoted that doesn't have a single point of failure. Yes, the manager should have the best view of the employee - but that doesn't mean it's the ONLY view or even the right one.

- Make it very, very clear to both managers and employees what it will take to get to the next level. If an employee hasn't advanced by the average length of time, make sure HR has a conversation with the employee and his/her manager to understand why not - then help the employee figure out how to move ahead.

- Either stop the love affair with MBAs or pay your other employees fairly.

- Give Beth a raise for having to read and respond to people complaining all the time. :)

1 Jun 2018 – TripAdvisor

Thank you for the detailed review, and for taking the time to share your thoughts with me in person before your departure. I really appreciated the discussion and hearing your detailed... More

8. "Speed doesnt always win"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Needham, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Needham, MA (US)

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The perks are great at HQ: free lunch everyday, great snacks, onsite gym and full service lockerroom, pub, collab spaces, dogs!

Cons

Lack of direction and overall vision. There is lack of trust in senior leadership.

Advice to Management

People here care. They care about their work. They care about other coworkers. Don’t get caught up in your egos and place in the hierarchy and old ways of thinking. Its 2018 and youve got lots of talent young people with potential to make the company better unleash it!

9. "Great Place to Work"

Pros

Great Facility, Smart / Talented Colleagues, Good Perks

Cons

Hard to get promoted / get raise

"Not People but Money Centric Organization"

Former Employee - Sales Executive in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)
    Former Employee - Sales Executive in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)

I worked at TripAdvisor full-time

Pros

TripAdvisor is the biggest travel website all over the world, so, it's brand perception in the market is still quite good. It's Dublin office has one of the greatest bunch of people you could have ever worked with. They offer 3 days free lunch, snacks are great, private health insurance and dental care programs are competitive, and if you are lucky enough to hit your targets, you can make a "Tech company" salary as well.

Cons

TripAdvisor's Dublin office and the sales motion & culture have been heavily changed. Although you think that you'd find a technology company, neither the product portfolio nor the sales mindset is close to there. Big brother is watching everyone and the sales floor is becoming a call center-ish environment very fast. None of the products is groundbreaking or even necessary for 90% of the customers. Most of the poor non-tech-savvy customers don't even know what they are paying for and you'd probably face a big dilemma or feel sorry for them while selling the product.

If you are working for a well-known brand in Dublin, don't bother yourself to go to TripAdvisor with a career advancement or making money expectations since both of them are not existent in Dublin office. There are definitely some exceptions in both terms but it is applicable for the vast majority of the people. Sales teams have a quite a big turnover ratio, especially the Business Development team has totally changed in the last 12 months.

Think about a company whose one of the boldest mission statements is "Speed Wins" but think twice since the winning part is always the company, not the employees! They can give everyone a blanket target without any explanation, change the compensation plan of the sales team half-way in the quarter, increase your already unreachable targets again half-way in the quarter, merge the teams and pay people unfairly although everyone does exactly the same job and the only explanation that you can get from the management team would be either "targets are targets" "Sorry" or "Speed wins".

TripAdvisor has lost many talented people over the last 2 years and they haven't budged to retain any of them since their sole focus is squeezing their customers to their last penny and inflate the sales figures as much as possible to show company profitable.

If you want a company whose focus is its talent, creating game-changing products or it's customers, then TripAdvisor is definitely not you're looking for.

Advice to Management

Whatever the brand or the company is, it's people who create the workable and fun environment. While every other successful company is caring more and more about their people, turning your focus from your biggest resource, human, to sole profit, survival of the company/ office would be quite impossible. If your employees are not happy and you definitely don't care about it, good luck with that.