Find jobs for Director

"Sad to watch"

Current Employee - Director, Product Management in Needham, MA
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Tripadvisor full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Depending on which team you are on, the people can be amazing. I have learned so much from some truly great people many who will be life long friends. The company pays well and has great benefits.

Cons

The company has been on a bad trajectory for a while. I don't have much hope that it will pull itself out. Re-orgs seem to be a substitute for an actual company strategy.

"A sad downturn"

Former Employee - Director in Needham, MA

I worked at Tripadvisor full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great brand (people love hearing where you work), compensation

Cons

Decline in culture and focus on employee engagement

3. COVID-19

"Textbook Fail in Corporate Culture"

2.0
    Current Employee - Associate Director

I have been working at Tripadvisor full-time

Pros

The Trip team is sitting on incredible, unrealized brand value. This kind of brand naturally attracts passionate, smart, fun, hardworking do-good people. I believe those people will always be attracted to Tripadvisor brand, despite the frequent chaos, fragmentation, in-fighting, human churn, etc. – great humans will always be a part of this company's culture mix.

Cons

Sadly, our CEO, Steve Kaufer, subscribes to your everyday run of the mill failing corporate culture. It's a feat to cultivate a decaying environment with a brand that has such wonderful and energetic natural momentum as Tripadvisor. During my 4 years at the company I reserved judgment of our CEO until now. Even though I witnessed an absurd level of micromanagement; the do-it-instantly and for $0 fires; and worse, the eyebrow-raising and inhuman approach to his customers and his people internally. There are so many great people here, and we're in it together, aware of the situation. Even though it stifles our innovation and career ambitions, we hold out hope. Maybe soon the board will decide there is a suitable replacement leader? One that can bring vision, inspiration, empathy, equity and diversity, and focus on our customers, which have been putting absurdly high $ into Steve Kaufer's pocket over the years. He showed us quite clearly with the January layoffs of 200+ people that his numbers were more important than his people. Of course it was obvious for us all along. Our greedy approach to our customers was backward and would be our downfall. Now, on the precipice of company contraction due to the global coronavirus, his $-first-people-last tactics are in full force.

March 20, 2020Talent Acquisition Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to share your candid feedback. We appreciate that you highlighted the strength of our people, for it really is our employees that make Tripadvisor a great place to work. During this period of transition, all of our leaders, including Steve, are doing their best to remain transparent. They’re working together across all areas of the business to create a strategy that considers the needs of the business as well as the needs of our employees.

"Company running on lies..."

1.0
    Current Employee - Director in Needham, MA

I have been working at Tripadvisor full-time for more than a year

Pros

The office is great and I have awesome co-workers

Cons

We sell customers on the fact that we have 2.5MM instagram, 3.5MM twitter and 7.5MM+ facebook followers, but about half of these followers are faked/purchased. Don't believe it? Go check it out for yourself. The follower to engagement ratio doesn't add up. Management knows this and doesn't care. Outlook doesn't look good when everyone is trying to keep the lies going

March 19, 2020Talent Acquisition Specialist

Thank you for your feedback. The company holds itself to a high standard in regards to ethics and work practices. We are also very open to the ideas and process improvements suggestions of employees. Any concerns that are flagged to management and/or HR are looked into thoroughly as transparency is one of our core values.

"Good role with upside"

Current Employee - Director, Product Management in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Tripadvisor full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Largest player in the industry, data-driven business model, and opportunity for growth in company as it rebounds

Cons

Periodic strategy pivots that have significant downstream impacts

"Excellent company - values, goals, teamwork"

Former Employee - Director in Ewing, NJ

I worked at Tripadvisor full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Working with highly competent, high performing teams. Respectful working environment. Dynamic product development.

Cons

Challenging stretch goals, not necessarily a bad thing!

January 4, 2017Chief People Officer

Thank you for your thoughtful feedback. We’re very proud of the culture and hardworking teams at TripAdvisor. Thank you for being a dedicated member of our team for the past several years,and for your review. We wish you the best of luck in your new opportunity. Beth Grous Chief People Officer

"Great company, needs focus"

4.0
    Product Director

I worked at Tripadvisor

Pros

Great office environment, free lunch, pub, overall highly enthusiastic and smart coworkers. Management can be aloof, particularly in Marketing, and bit unfocused. But overall, it's a great company

Cons

see above for my comments

"Unique culture"

Former Employee - Senior Director in Waltham, MA

I worked at Tripadvisor full-time for less than a year

Pros

Fast growing and expanding place to work. Lots of cool people and a great local brand. Well respected in the area and an industry leader

Cons

Lots of leadership has been in place for a long time and not really looking to change or innovate. Culturally it's easier to avoid problems than solve them Speed win mentality isn't always the right approach especially when taken out of context

9. "High growth company"

Current Employee - Director in Newton, MA

I have been working at Tripadvisor full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Great benefits -Solid work/life balance -Good salary/bonus/stock -Free lunch and other perks

Cons

-Sometimes stressful (during deadlines, etc) -Headquarters technology isn't great for communicating with colleagues in other offices

Continue reading

"Never the same day twice; always a new challenge."

Current Employee - Director in Newton, MA

I have been working at Tripadvisor full-time for less than a year

Pros

TA employees are encouraged to get things done; speed wins. Our CEO acknowledges in moving quickly, we'll break s---t, but we'll fix it the next time around and be better for doing so. Everyone is smart, motivated, and wants to help each other. Lots of perks and it's clear that the executive team cares about its employees. Seems like a great place to grow your career, skills and earn a competitive salary doing so.

Cons

Poor internal tools and infrastructure to manage so many moving parts. While there are initiatives to improve this, it can be a bit frustrating to get on board and hit the ground running without spending time on things already asked and answered.

November 14, 2013Global Manager, Talent Acquisition

We're proud of our smart, motivated, and helpful employees---and agree that we offer excellent career development to grow your career (with competitive salaries and benefits!) We're also glad that you appreciate our fast-moving, speed-infused culture. We appreciate your feedback on our internal tools--and how these can be improved to ramp up new employees more quickly. As you note, we're working on improving this across our global locations. In the meantime, your HR Business Partner is a great resource to help you navigate our internal tools and systems and can also work with you to get questions answered on department and team-specific systems---feel free to connect with them any time.

Found 14 reviews