Tripadvisor Reviews

Stephen Kaufer

"Great Perks"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Needham, MA

I worked at Tripadvisor full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The perks are incredible. My coworkers became family to me and the building brings people together.

Cons

Product offering. Not a real sales organization, lack of leadership in general. We would get our Quarterly Quotas after the quarter had ended.

2. "Very firm values"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Barcelona

I have been working at Tripadvisor full-time

Pros

The great human group that surrounds the company and makes it a comfortable and easy place to carry

Cons

Oriented to the tourism / hospitality sector, it goes through a delicate situation, like any company in between.

3. "Great company & culture"

Former Employee - Product Specialist in Boston, MA

I worked at Tripadvisor full-time for more than a year

Pros

benefits are fantastic great culture fun industry

Cons

not a lot of room for advancement in the business unit I worked in (Bokun)

4. "Great work balance, but lack of direction"

Former Employee - Account Manager in London, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Tripadvisor full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great atmosphere. Excellent pay. Supportive leadership. Great benefits. Freedom to work in different ways

Cons

Total lack of direction. Lack of new ideas

"Amazing benefits"

5.0
    Former Employee - Product Manager

I worked at Tripadvisor full-time

Pros

Incredible benefits - 100% healthcare, very inexpensive to add family, free lunch/snacks, learning opportunities

Cons

Some managers are terrible, lack empathy

"So sad..."

1.0
    Former Employee - Sales in Needham, MA

I worked at Tripadvisor full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great co-workers that work hard and are passionate about the brand...or at least they used to be.

Cons

I cannot emphasize this strongly enough - the new management brought in from Conde Nast has completely ruined what was once a great company. There used to be a strong feeling of cooperation between teams - sure we were siloed - but every single person at TAMG was in it to win it. The environment has become totally toxic. It is us versus them. The recent article about the empathy of a certain manager was frankly hysterical – she was more concerned her tinder profile than with her team (and unless you came with her from Conde, you were most likely laid off). No matter how much experience TAMG employees brought to the table it was disregarded by the Conde clique (most of whom have ZERO knowledge of digital media). In order to look like they were doing something they created unnecessary roadblocks to processes. A new logo and color palette, and of course the small "a" in Tripadvisor were what we were supposed to be excited about. Using the same color palette as Spotify (and numerous other brands) took what was once a very recognizable brand to being just another website. The money spent on the new branding should have been used to update the tech stack (or maintain experience employees). It is way past time for Steve K. to step down and bring in a competent leader (not Lindsey Nelson - who is one of the crassest women I have ever met). Good luck TAMG - so sad to see this beloved brand nose-diving straight into the ground.

7. "Loved working here"

Former Employee - Customer Success Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at Tripadvisor full-time for more than a year

Pros

flexible work schedule, perks, good amount of vacation days

Cons

management could be better but was fine, pretty standard

8. "Shortsighted"

Former Employee - Paid Search Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at Tripadvisor full-time for less than a year

Pros

Perks (while they were there)

Cons

Competitive industry and it shows

"Toxic culture shift in 2019"

2.0
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Needham, MA

I worked at Tripadvisor full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- Competitive pay for many positions - Beautiful office space in Needham - Still one of the biggest B2C web properties on the east coast; opportunity to impact billions of users - Pockets of truly great people across the company

Cons

For many years TripAdvisor was a hub of really strong tech talent in the greater Boston area. A well-managed MBA rotational program kept the PM organization staffed with young, bright minds who frequently matured into competent managers. The VP and Director levels were stacked with sharp, experienced operators. During this time, Trip was a well-oiled machine, but in 2015 the platform and business started hitting a ceiling. After a failed attempt to pivot to a booking platform there was quite a bit of turnover of the "old guard." This wasn't an inherently bad thing; there were some new leaders emerging with compelling plans to modernize the site and revitalize the UGC flywheel. Well-developed talent at the mid and junior levels were able to step into management roles, and teams executed at a high level, but competitive headwinds continued to impede growth. After a significant redesign in 2018 failed to immediately move the engagement needle, there was another shake-up at the leadership level. This time the board bet on talent sourced from the NYC media industry. Over the course of 2019 there was a noticeable shift in corporate culture. Suddenly there was a tremendous amount of negativity from the top down but no real guidance or strategic vision. A "Devil Wears Prada" management style prevailed. Former NYC colleagues were hired and given vague titles and job responsibilities, and an insular bubble quickly formed (hence the "Mean Girls" references in other reviews). Leadership was seldom in the office and 3rd party design agencies were hired to re-think the core business and product strategy, with dubious results. The situation devolved to the point where annual planning sessions literally did not take place in 2019 - an unprecedented display of absentee leadership. This bizarre radio silence left many feeling alienated and seriously concerned about the trajectory of the company. In 2020 Trip's market position continued to weaken in the absence of any coherent strategy and continued pressure from competitors. Multiple rounds of layoffs have delivered a major blow to team morale.

Continue reading
  10. "One of my best professional experiences"

Former Employee - Senior Manager in London, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Tripadvisor full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Excellent working conditions, clear targets and good level of trust with direct managers. I enjoyed the weekly catch-up with my boss to review progress and set objectives. No micro-management and lots of empowerment.

Cons

Highly difficult to move horizontally within the company. Possible for a few but not globally organised so that after a while (been there 7 years) it is difficult to remain as engaged and motivated.

Found 719 reviews