Find jobs for Sales Manager

2.2
Tripadvisor President and CEO Stephen Kaufer
Stephen Kaufer
  1. COVID-19

"Tripadvisor says culture matters yet they've let it be destroyed"

2.0
    Former Employee - Senior Sales Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Tripadvisor full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The Boston office and especially kitchen is amazing and New York isn't too bad either. Used to be some fantastic people to work with. Every day was a joy to come to work. Sadly that all changed in 2019.

Cons

Every member of the team hired from Conde Nast is incompetent, lacking basic knowledge of internet fundamentals, territorial to a level that goes so far beyond toxic, and most of all are just mean, spiteful people. And yet they all awarded themselves big titles despite clear lack of talent or experience. You were either part of 'the Conde Nast clique' or you were out. Every day became like living through junior high school all over again. The immediate effects on our business and morale were shocking. They would fudge sales numbers, rebrand existing products as something new that they'd invented, disparage other people's good work, refuse to ever listen to suggestions, use our sales calls to shame people publicly, and so much more. I heard one coworker say 'their only real talent is creating roadblocks' and it is just so true. We saw an executive assistant hired in NYC quit in less than two weeks because he was being made to do their laundry and write their Tinder profiles. I heard the same stories from my coworkers all over the country and so many of us had talks with human resources, but nothing was ever done and they used the recent COVID-19 layoffs to get rid of even more great people who dared question them, including me and most of my team. How Steve Kaufer let all of this happen I do not know, but it was a relief when I was let get go as after this nightmare experience I need time with my family to recover. It is a sad day as I will always have wonderful memories of what Tripadvisor once was and the good people I worked with there, but on to bigger and better things.

June 8, 2020

Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry to hear that your recent personal experience was not positive. We care deeply about our employees wellbeing and strive to maintain a positive work environment across all of our Global Tripadvisor locations. We maintain a zero tolerance policy for harassment and take feedback from our employees on these topics very seriously. The last 18 months have been a period of intense change at Tripadvisor, and we acknowledge there have been some growing pains as new leaders join and teams are reorganized. The current pandemic impacted our business and the reduction in workforce resulted in many exceptional colleagues leaving the company. Throughout the process, we strive to create a positive work environment and will continue to focus on building good morale. We wish you the best and thank you for the time you committed to Trip.

"Good company"

Former Employee - Sales Manager

I worked at Tripadvisor full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great team buzz, good transparency of company development. Good company benefits.

Cons

No fast track opportunity for personal progression. Promotional opportunities are standardised rather than specific to the individual.

July 3, 2019Recruiting Operations Coordinator

Thank you for your positive remarks. We’re constantly striving to maintain a transparent, collaborative environment, so we’re glad that you found that to be the case. Our goal is to create a place where our employees feel free to share their opinions and ask questions to further their career development. We also appreciate the constructive comments you've included as well. We're always looking to improve, so employee feedback is very important.

"Inside sales manager"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Manager in Dublin, Dublin

I worked at Tripadvisor full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great company to learn and work for. The brand and benefits are fantastic. Management is supportive at the same time challenging demanding high quality (which is good). Level of professionals and personal backgrounds found is just awesome. Benefits are great too

Cons

Communication of vision long term and long term talent plans to develop

October 31, 2018TripAdvisor

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review. It is great to hear the positive words regarding our brand, benefits and team. I’m unsure of when you left TripAdvisor, but within the past few years, we’ve launched several key programs specifically focused on improving communication and talent development. We frequently use opportunities such as our global company meetings, town halls and executive sync ups to communicate our company vision. Most recently, we’ve held a number of town hall meetings at the functional level to provide additional communication about the vision of our Global Sales team. True to one of our core values that “we never stop learning”, and recognizing that people are our greatest asset, talent development remains a top priority for us. This past year, we introduced a number of new trainings including one specifically focused on managerial expectations. Part of this training is providing managers with tools that help them to identify how they can best support and develop their team members into future leaders. Even though you have left TripAdvisor, I would welcome the opportunity to connect via email or in person to discuss any additional feedback. Thanks again for your review and we wish you the best of luck in your next opportunity. -Sam Thompson, Regional Director of Inside Sales

"Great company, great atmosphere, great people and..."

Former Employee - Sales Manager in London, England

I worked at Tripadvisor full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- International environment - Collaborative work space - Work life balance - Great breakfast and good coffee :) - Rewarding commission plan - Working with experienced and smart people When you work hard, you get rewarded, simple and fair!

Cons

- Hard to progress within your department - Even harder to move to other departments - Repetitive work unless you speak different languages

Continue reading

"The worst management/ product / experience"

1.0
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Dublin, Dublin

I worked at Tripadvisor full-time for more than a year

Pros

Nothing good about TripAdvisor Dublin except the free lunches . Some of the employees are nice people other are just their for a job like zombies

Cons

Everything about TripAdvisor is a lie ! The product is sold to customers who think it does something it doesn’t, nobody in the company can explain how the hotel solution works , The management haven’t got a clue how to sell never mind lead a team. The training is beyond shocking ! No career progression targets are made up of a fake growth rate If you want to loose faith in humanity and dive into a black hole of failure TripAdvisor Dublin is the company for you !

March 28, 2018TripAdvisor

Wow. This feedback is tough to read and I’m sorry to hear that you left TripAdvisor with such negative feelings towards the company. You’ve mentioned several concerns in your review so I will do my best to address each one. Putting our employees in a position to succeed is a top priority for our team in Dublin and for our teams around the world. This starts with the people that we hire into TripAdvisor, how we train our employees, and extends through the products we deliver to our consumers and partners. We encourage all Salespeople and Managers to raise their hand when they need assistance, so that we can support them and work to get everyone over their sales targets. One of our core values, we never stop learning, speaks directly to the importance we place on employee training and development. We’re proud of the investment we’ve made in our sales training program, a program that last year resulted in an average of 30 hours of training per rep. I’m disappointed to hear that this training fell short of your expectations. Regarding our clients, we work closely with them so that they fully understand our solutions and can take advantage of services to improve their business and grow with us. The tens of thousands of clients we do have today have been with us for a long time and have found great value in our partnership. If they can’t succeed then neither will we. If you have the time, I’d like to fully understand where we missed the mark and I will investigate the concerns you’ve flagged. As always, I’d welcome a conversation to better understand your feedback. -Sam Thompson, Regional Director of Inside Sales

"One of the worst companies in terms of management."

1.0
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Singapore

I have been working at Tripadvisor full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Well stocked pantry, free food, drinks and snacks. Health insurance coverage is very good. Colleagues are very friendly.

Cons

The problem lies with management - from senior leadership to regional directors. There is no vision and most often they are still trapped in their "start up and almighty bubble". A lot of customers are already writing the company off. Very biased HR and no due process given to employees - they just side with management. Sometimes salary delay. No firm decision making and "speed wins" means they can change decisions in a matter of hours. Limited career. If you are not ambitious you can stay here.

March 30, 2018TripAdvisor

Thank you for the review although this is a difficult feedback to read. This is not the type of experience that we want anyone on our team to have. You have expressed several important concerns and I believe a more in-depth conversation would be beneficial. I encourage you to connect with your HR Business partner or me directly for a deeper discussion. As a company founded on the principal of transparency, we work hard to ensure that our vision, strategy and processes are shared with all levels of the organization. Our quarterly all hands meetings and monthly sync ups both provide a lot of valuable information about these topics. You have made a great suggestion on having 360 degree feedback. We agree that this type of feedback is critically important and had added it to our performance review process last year. I encourage you to connect with your HRBP or manager if you have not yet gone through our performance review cycle. Thank you for your feedback again, and I welcome a time for further discussion. Cindy Tan, VP Display Ad Sales

"Sales Manager"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Singapore

I have been working at Tripadvisor full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Fantastic brand and company management that is top of the industry. Everyone knows the brand and it's easy to get in the door if you're a salesperson. Company benefits are excellent, senior management is exceptional and have a strong longterm vision.

Cons

Not much career progression, the organization is a bit slow to react despite the company mantra 'speed wins'

Continue reading

"Nice company but could be better"

Sales Manager in London, England

I worked at Tripadvisor for more than 3 years

Pros

Great benefits Good training and development plans Approachable managers Friendly environment (depending on the team!!) Nice office (location, snacks available, cool design)

Cons

Workload Salary (not in proportion to position covered) Highly competitive (not always in a healthy way) Extremely difficult to move internally to a new position

9. "Varied Fast Paced challenging fun place to work"

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Oxford, England

I worked at Tripadvisor full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Challenging, fast paced, results driven great culture and environment

Cons

Communication cross departments not always good

10. "A great company to work for but lack of opportunity career wise"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in London, England

I have been working at Tripadvisor full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good people, working conditions, benefits, office

Cons

difficult to move internally from a career perspective. Lack of opportunities. Things move fairly slowly for a web company.

Found 12 reviews