Tripadvisor Sales Reviews

3.8
Tripadvisor President and CEO Stephen Kaufer
Stephen Kaufer
  1. COVID-19

"Tripadvisor says culture matters yet they've let it be destroyed"

2.0
    Former Employee - Senior Sales Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Tripadvisor full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The Boston office and especially kitchen is amazing and New York isn't too bad either. Used to be some fantastic people to work with. Every day was a joy to come to work. Sadly that all changed in 2019.

Cons

Every member of the team hired from Conde Nast is incompetent, lacking basic knowledge of internet fundamentals, territorial to a level that goes so far beyond toxic, and most of all are just mean, spiteful people. And yet they all awarded themselves big titles despite clear lack of talent or experience. You were either part of 'the Conde Nast clique' or you were out. Every day became like living through junior high school all over again. The immediate effects on our business and morale were shocking. They would fudge sales numbers, rebrand existing products as something new that they'd invented, disparage other people's good work, refuse to ever listen to suggestions, use our sales calls to shame people publicly, and so much more. I heard one coworker say 'their only real talent is creating roadblocks' and it is just so true. We saw an executive assistant hired in NYC quit in less than two weeks because he was being made to do their laundry and write their Tinder profiles. I heard the same stories from my coworkers all over the country and so many of us had talks with human resources, but nothing was ever done and they used the recent COVID-19 layoffs to get rid of even more great people who dared question them, including me and most of my team. How Steve Kaufer let all of this happen I do not know, but it was a relief when I was let get go as after this nightmare experience I need time with my family to recover. It is a sad day as I will always have wonderful memories of what Tripadvisor once was and the good people I worked with there, but on to bigger and better things.

June 8, 2020

Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry to hear that your recent personal experience was not positive. We care deeply about our employees wellbeing and strive to maintain a positive work environment across all of our Global Tripadvisor locations. We maintain a zero tolerance policy for harassment and take feedback from our employees on these topics very seriously. The last 18 months have been a period of intense change at Tripadvisor, and we acknowledge there have been some growing pains as new leaders join and teams are reorganized. The current pandemic impacted our business and the reduction in workforce resulted in many exceptional colleagues leaving the company. Throughout the process, we strive to create a positive work environment and will continue to focus on building good morale. We wish you the best and thank you for the time you committed to Trip.

2. COVID-19

"Sad State of Affairs at a Once Great Place to Work"

2.0
    Former Employee - Sales in Needham, MA

I worked at Tripadvisor full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great benefits, perks, generous severance packages

Cons

I loved working at Tripadvisor until the last 1.5 years. After a major reorg that should have been positive, everything took a turn for the worse. Almost all new hires came from Conde Nast, bringing with them an immediate negative impact on culture. It quickly became an "Us" versus "Them" environment; you were either in the clique or you weren't. Long time talented employees who were successful in their roles were pushed aside or out all together. The company also quietly laid off over 200 people in February due to it's own business mismanagement. Then weeks later COVID-19 hits, another 900 people are let go, and the PR machine was in full effect blaming it on the pandemic alone. It's sad to see what the place has become. The downward spiral appears to continue. I hope they can right the ship for the sake of the employees left behind and for what was once a most beloved brand, but it might be too far gone.

Continue reading
  3. "The people you work with make the office culture great"

Former Employee - Sales Support Specialist in Needham, MA

I worked at Tripadvisor full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great benefits, free lunch and the people!

Cons

Career growth is a little limited, it has improved but there are ways to go.

July 1, 2020Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We are appreciative of comments that highlight our strengths as well as areas we can improve upon.

"Speed Wins...both good and bad"

Former Employee - Sales Trainer in Needham, MA
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Tripadvisor full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people are the best that I've ever worked with. A great, empathetic, and intelligent group who all have a good idea of what they want to do.

Cons

Consistent alignment and breaking silos is what this company will need to succeed. The company tried to do too much without really perfecting anything...while the mantra is "speed wins", that often leads to some hastiness inhibiting the growth of products as well as individuals.

June 22, 2020Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. As our company continues to grow, we are appreciative of employee comments that highlight our strengths as well as areas we can improve upon. It really is our employees that make Tripadvisor a great place to work, so hearing directly from employees about how their colleagues have supported and enriched their experience is always great news

5. "Great Internship"

Former Intern - Sales Intern
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Tripadvisor for less than a year

Pros

So many great benefits. They take you out on a lot of events. Free food and cold brew on tap. Internship itself was a great learning experience. My manager was a great mentor to me and gave me a lot of work but not overwhelming. I felt like I could actually add value to the company and provide meaningful work. There was a shuttle to/from Boston and Cambridge so I didn't have to live in Needham.

Cons

Business interns typically don't get full-time return offers.

6. "Excellent atmosphere"

Current Employee - Sales Executive

I have been working at Tripadvisor full-time

Pros

Very good perks, flexibility, can work in independently, excellent compensation, benefits

Cons

the management could be improved as the communication

April 7, 2020Talent Acquisition Specialist

Thank you for sharing your feedback. We’re glad that you enjoy being a part of the Tripadvisor team. As our company continues to grow, we are appreciative of employee comments that highlight our strengths as well as areas we can improve upon.

7. "One of the best"

Current Employee - Sales Executive in Dublin, Dublin

I have been working at Tripadvisor full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Salary, Commission, flexibility, food, fringe benefits, location

Cons

continuous changes in commission plan, not strong team culture

March 17, 2020Talent Acquisition Specialist

Thank you for your positive remarks. We value opinions from employees across all levels and departments; we're happy to hear that you've found our benefits package, as well as our beyond work benefits to be helpful.

8. "Changing Environment"

Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Tripadvisor full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I joined TripAdvisor about 5 years ago and for the most part it has been a great experience. The company has great core values and there's room to move and grow. They are a global company and if you don't live in city with a TripAdvisor office working remote isn't a problem.

Cons

The company has gone through some massive organizational changes over the past year. The company is focused more than ever on being profitable. As a result a lot of its focus on the employees has gone sideways.

9. "Team, Culture and Collabration"

Current Employee - Business Development Sales Executive in Dublin, Dublin

I have been working at Tripadvisor full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Fantastic Team: Truly rare to find a sales environment that does not cultivate or encourage brash /arrogant behavior. -Competitive Perks: Healthcare, Dental, Paid Lunch, etc -Leadership/Management: Highly skilled leaders with a passion for the job and a desire to genuinely listen, interact and assist. (Inspiring and down to-earth director of sales)

Cons

-Progression: Whilst their is examples of sales reps moving to new roles/divisions, the opportunity within Dublin can feel limited. -Global v Dublin Office: The Dublin is primary a sales organisation and it is easy to feel isolated from the rest of the company. -Change: Change is commonplace within any successful company, I do feel that management can ensure a smoother transition and improve communications concerning changes in comp plans, teams, products etc. -No opportunity to work from home

January 17, 2020Talent Acquisition Specialist

Thank you for your constructive feedback and positive remarks. First, I concur with your assessment of our team, the environment that they create, and our front line sales leaders – all of which make the TripAdvisor Dublin office a very special place to work. I get energized everyday coming in to work knowing how fortunate I am. Your feedback on KPIs, our methods for Change Management, and Career Progression are all appreciated and will be taken on board. I will speak to my management team on each but here are some initial thoughts. Career Progression of our team members is a key focus for TripAdvisor globally and as we have grown in Dublin, this has been a strategic attention for the management team and myself. Over the past 2 years since I have been a part of this site we have promoted a large number of individuals internally, with many of them stretching themselves further within their new roles and taking on expanded responsibilities. Additionally as you know we have over 40 offices worldwide and we have been able to provide numerous individuals with opportunities to move into new and exciting roles within TripAdvisor sites across the globe. We are consistently reviewing our opportunities for team member growth and will continue to find career development opportunities for our top performers. All of your input is invaluable. If you have other ideas or can provide any other insight, please let me know. We are always looking for paths to improve our culture, skill sets, and the revenue we generate for TripAdvisor. Thank you, Sam Thompson– Regional Director, Inside Sales

10. "Great Compan"

Current Employee - Business Development Sales Executive

I have been working at Tripadvisor full-time for less than a year

Pros

People are nice and culture is also great!

Cons

So far, I don't find any.

December 19, 2019Recruiting Coordinator

Thank you for highlighting the strength of our company culture. We are glad that you are enjoying your experience as part of the TripAdvisor Team.

Found 51 reviews