Find jobs for Software Engineer

Tripadvisor Software Engineer Reviews

Updated 21 May 2020

Tripadvisor President and CEO Stephen Kaufer
Stephen Kaufer

"Political, unfair, toxic culture. Don’t waste your time."

1.0
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Sydney

I have been working at Tripadvisor full-time

Pros

* Nice office. * Friday lunch.

Cons

Yes, Viator Sydney used to be a great place till Vacation Rentals stepped in. Tripadvisor Experiences( Viator) got a new CEO from Vacation Rentals and he brought his team with his. Obvious isn’t it. Quite a few higher management relocated to Sydney and took powers into their hands. From then, its all favourism and politics. Favourism over Skill: Managers would never give a chance to the deserving team or the individual, rather they will give it to their favourites. Always, the favourites will get a chance to work on the greenfield projects and to move around new projects and the tech stack. While others need to fix their defects and support the legacy systems. Lack of Trust: Difference in opinion is not at all acceptable. Even if you have it, it’s better not to raise it. You will get into their bad books. Forget about quality or maintenance, release it ASAP, if you say no, you will be tagged as a slow performer. Culture of looking at how many commits you have done in a day/month, how much time you take to deliver a feature at the back of your shoulder. This data could have been used constructively, rather they used it to create an unsafe work culture. You have to be an exhibitionist to thrive. But, the team work was getting destroyed with this culture. Had multiple discussions with the management regarding this, but the efforts were futile. Time spent on pool and table tennis table will be monitored(not officially though). They would ask us to limit our play time, when the US counterparts visits. (Earlier glassdoor review on the same was removed :)) Lack of Freedom: Top management has strong choice of the tech stack to be used in the project across the company. No question of right tool for the right job. For Instance, Spring framework is not favoured, because some team /team members didn’t understand them :). Why on earth, you will write their own transaction management and maintain it??? You need to fight hard to justify that the tool you chose is the right one, end of the day it will be rejected and you would be tagged as rebel.

April 16, 2020Talent Acquisition Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to write your feedback. I recognize that things are very difficult right now and respect that you are feeling frustrated on a number of different issues. I’ll do my best to speak to the points you raised. It is easy to misinterpret feedback that is given to others regarding behavior, code commits, or anything else particularly when it wasn’t given to you personally. For example, no one is bothered by anyone playing pool or ping pong – if we were then those things wouldn’t be available in the office. I trust that everyone utilize these things responsibly and gets their work done accordingly. It is fair to say that no one is ever happy with the technical solutions that came before them and especially those that were designed by others. I’ll be the first to admit that not everything selected is perfect. I feel the best way to move forward is to have an open conversation about how we fix what is broken and in what order we need to address the problems we face. In terms of fairness as to how we go about making decisions, I think those are best understood on a case by case basis. There is often context that helps understand where the team was coming from when a decision was made. We might agree or disagree with those decisions but the context matters and it helps us understand how best to evaluate what we have and how to move forward. For my part, I try my best to avoid mandating a problem be solved in any particular way. It is not my job to prescribe solutions to problems but rather to help facilitate conversations where problems can be solved as a team. I respect that you might be frustrated at the moment but would encourage you to reach out to ask questions or raise concerns about anything that is bothering you. There are a lot of things happening in the world now that are causing all of us stress and so I would welcome the opportunity to help alleviate some of your stress if I can. Best, Jon Swinghammer VP of Engineering, Viator

"Great culture and technology, with constant change"

I worked at Tripadvisor full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I absolutely loved my time here in the engineering organization. The engineering team is top notch. They have a modern stack with some very talented engineers. Trip follows a lot of industry best practices and really drives engineers to be better. People - at least engineers - are generally empowered to succeed. Most colleagues are very friendly and it is a great environment to learn. The office culture is incredibly friendly and social. Teams are tight knit and strive to operate effectively and efficiently. Expect frequent retrospectives and improvements to the product development cycle.

Cons

Lack of transparency. You may work with managers who hold information back from you or members of the team, or managers who aren't entirely forthcoming. Lack of strong product direction or commitment to products. Some engineers worked on projects for months only to A/B test and be considered failures. The product direction constantly pivots, resulting in teams being frequently rearranged. Micromanagement. If you're an engineer, there's a decent chance your manager will be up in your space. Because Trip is a publicly traded company, the product priorities may shift considerably if the company needs to focus in certain areas. Don't fall in love with your projects too much.

June 22, 2020Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. As our company continues to evolve, we are appreciative of employee comments that highlight our strengths as well as areas we can improve upon.

"Great People, bit disorganized upper management"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Needham, MA

I worked at Tripadvisor full-time for less than a year

Pros

It's my first job out of school. Some of the best engineering talent I have seen! gym, nice lunch

Cons

the upper management seems a bit disorganized and does not seem too passionate about technologies and the engineering side of things as an internet company.

July 1, 2020Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We are appreciative of employee comments that highlight our strengths as well as areas we can improve upon.

4. "Job"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Needham, MA
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Tripadvisor full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I worked at TripAdvisor and was compensated

Cons

Layoffs affected many employees globally

"Good Company"

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer in Boston, MA

I worked at Tripadvisor full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Overall Trip was a good company to work for. Very employee and customer focused.

Cons

A little too disorganized at times.

July 1, 2020Talent Acquisition

Thank you for sharing your feedback. We’re glad that you enjoyed your experience as part of the Tripadvisor team.

6. "Great Company"

5.0
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Boston, MA

I worked at Tripadvisor full-time

Pros

Free Lunch, Nice Campus, Good Compensation

Cons

Slightly dated tech stack, location

7. COVID-19

"Phenomenal place to start my career"

5.0
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Needham, MA

I worked at Tripadvisor full-time for more than a year

Pros

You're surrounded by tons of really intelligent, hard-working coworkers. The culture is very focused on helping each other and working together, no toxic competition. Great perks at the office (free lunch, snacks, beer, games). Good compensation and raises. Flat organizational structure (although sometimes this means that promotions are less frequent).

Cons

Takes awhile to adopt new technology, seems like we were often a couple steps behind other companies in the industry. The 2020 COVID crisis hit Tripadvisor really hard, I was laid off because of it and a lot of fringe benefits (like the free lunch) were cut (perhaps only temporarily though) for the remaining employees. I do not blame Tripadvisor at all for that, and they handled it very well with good severance and outplacement help. However, it is something to keep in mind, as a business they are very exposed to world events that harm travel.

July 1, 2020Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. As our company continues to grow, we are appreciative of comments that highlight our strengths as well as areas we can improve upon. We’re glad that you enjoyed your experience as part of the Tripadvisor team.

"great people, confusing direction"

Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer

I have been working at Tripadvisor full-time

Pros

great people to work with

Cons

the direction has felt lacking

July 1, 2020Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback!

9. COVID-19

"Great work environment, losing market share"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Needham, MA

I have been working at Tripadvisor full-time

Pros

Great people, impact is big, lots of interesting parts of the company

Cons

Losing market share, COVID-19 impact unknown so far

"Constant reorgs -- but"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Needham, MA
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Tripadvisor full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Modern java, truly full-stack engineering, no 'architects' so you get to architect your own solutions, and engineering management usually willing to back up engineers. Nobody ever asked me to work more than 35 hours in a week. That may vary.

Cons

Quality of work and management varies widely from team to team. Reorgs are fairly common, because the business is convinced that the right reporting chains in engineering will somehow fix a decade of bad product decisions.

June 22, 2020Talent Acquisition