Tripadvisor Employee Reviews about "free lunch"

Updated 22 Jun 2020

3.6
Tripadvisor President and CEO Stephen Kaufer
Stephen Kaufer
Pros
  • "Free Lunch, Nice Campus, Good Compensation(in 104 reviews)

• "Great benefits, free lunch and the people(in 67 reviews)

Cons
  • "Upper management is a disaster and has been for years(in 25 reviews)

• "During the last large cutting of staff Senior Management said everyone would take a 20% pay cut to help balance the books(in 22 reviews)

Reviews about "free lunch"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "The people you work with make the office culture great"

Former Employee - Sales Support Specialist in Needham, MA

I worked at Tripadvisor full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great benefits, free lunch and the people!

Cons

Career growth is a little limited, it has improved but there are ways to go.

July 1, 2020Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We are appreciative of comments that highlight our strengths as well as areas we can improve upon.

2. COVID-19

"Great company to work for"

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Needham, MA

I worked at Tripadvisor full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The free lunch is better than most restaurants

Cons

I’m laid off now! Thanks Covid.

July 1, 2020Talent Acquisition

Thank you for sharing your positive remarks about working at Tripadvisor. We’re glad that you enjoyed your experience as part of the team.

3. "Great Company"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Boston, MA

I worked at Tripadvisor full-time

Pros

Free Lunch, Nice Campus, Good Compensation

Cons

Slightly dated tech stack, location

4. COVID-19

"Phenomenal place to start my career"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Needham, MA

I worked at Tripadvisor full-time for more than a year

Pros

You're surrounded by tons of really intelligent, hard-working coworkers. The culture is very focused on helping each other and working together, no toxic competition. Great perks at the office (free lunch, snacks, beer, games). Good compensation and raises. Flat organizational structure (although sometimes this means that promotions are less frequent).

Cons

Takes awhile to adopt new technology, seems like we were often a couple steps behind other companies in the industry. The 2020 COVID crisis hit Tripadvisor really hard, I was laid off because of it and a lot of fringe benefits (like the free lunch) were cut (perhaps only temporarily though) for the remaining employees. I do not blame Tripadvisor at all for that, and they handled it very well with good severance and outplacement help. However, it is something to keep in mind, as a business they are very exposed to world events that harm travel.

July 1, 2020Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. As our company continues to grow, we are appreciative of comments that highlight our strengths as well as areas we can improve upon. We’re glad that you enjoyed your experience as part of the Tripadvisor team.

5. "Culture, Community, and Transparency"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Needham, MA

I have been working at Tripadvisor full-time for more than a year

Pros

I love talking to people about my job. When people ask me, “do you like working there” I can’t help but smile. While it’s a job and it is work, it’s a privilege to work here and I get to realize that again and again each time I talk to someone about Trip. Even just explaining what he culture and benefits are like here people are always blown away. Sometimes it feels like an embarrassment of riches as I explain it to people, they get more and more shocked as I rattle off the perks. Whether it’s the free lunch or the feeling of community across teams and levels, I find myself being just as impressed by my words as those I am speaking to. If I had to pick, the biggest pros about working here are our philanthropic efforts and the normalcy of volunteering amongst the employees here and the transparency from management. Our global volunteer days we have each year during the summer highlight something that is present all year round at Tripadvisor: volunteering and giving back is not only encouraged here, it’s expected. I am humbled to be a part of a company who highly values giving back to the world that it aims to help us explore. The transparency is self-explanatory. We are seldom left in the dark and are quickly informed of any moving parts or changes in the company. It makes everyone feel important and essential to the team, an irreplaceable part of our culture.

Cons

Things move very quickly here and if that isn't your jive it can be a bit hard to keep up.

March 17, 2020Talent Acquisition Specialist

Thank you for your positive remarks. We’re constantly striving to maintain a transparent, collaborative environment, so we’re glad that you found that to be the case. We take pride in our employees, so hearing directly from employees about how their colleagues have supported and enriched their experience is always great news.

"Phenomenal People, Company is Soul Searching for Now"

Former Employee - Product Manager in Needham, MA
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Tripadvisor full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The people at TripAdvisor are easy going, friendly, caring, and extremely intelligent. They are perhaps some of the most competent people I have ever worked with. Add the great team to phenomenal perks like free lunch, dogs in the office, a fitness center with nice locker rooms, a pub and game room, and you've got a great great place to work.

Cons

The company is trying to figure out how to grow its revenue and what it wants to be a five years from now. The vision is a bit hazy so you might find yourself working on a big new initiative, only to find the company is changing directions to another big new initiative. It can be frustrating, but I am hopeful that they will find their way in the next couple of years.

February 14, 2020Talent Acquisition Specialist

Thank you for your thoughtful feedback. The people at Tripadvisor are what makes it a great place to work, so hearing directly from employees about how their colleagues positively impact their experience working for us is always great news. We also appreciate that you’ve highlighted some of our office perks. As Tripadvisor continues to evolve, we’re excited to embrace the strategy we have in place.

"BEST COMPANY TO WORK FOR!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Needham, MA

I have been working at Tripadvisor full-time for less than a year

Pros

This is by far the BEST Company i have worked for! i started out as a contractor and i was nervous that being a huge company i would be met with arrogance or know-it - all attitude but I felt so welcome from day 1. Every one in general was welcoming, helpful and now I am so blessed to have become full time and what an amazing team i am part of and all the other teams that i collaborate with. I feel extremely supported in all ways - resources to do my job, opportunities to learn and a clear path to career growth. I initially thought top management would be inaccessible but they are open arms... Steve is very down to earth and has an open door policy where you can stop by in his office and engage with him or say hello! I thought that was very humbling... Management encourages to communicate anything that can improve us the employees and the company as a whole without fear of intimidation. In addition to the incredible free lunch, snacks and coffees, the benefits are also amazing , their vision of charitable work is greatly encouraged, the office setting is relaxed where by you can work from anywhere in the building or outside when the weather allows. The culinary staff and cleaning crews are very incredibly efficient. All in all i could go on and on but there is too much to say...So far I have had a wonderful and amazing experience working at Trip and I am VERY VERY HAPPY here.. I feel acknowledged which may seem simple but a very crucial ingredient in an employee's performance.

Cons

sometime working with different national and international teams has a few hiccups but that is understandable and measures are constantly being taken to improve the system

October 8, 2019Talent Acquisition Specialist

Thank you for highlighting the strength of our company culture and inclusivity. Our goal is to create an environment where everyone feels welcome to share their opinions, challenged by their work and empowered to own their projects. We also know that it really is our employees that make TripAdvisor a great place to work, so hearing directly from employees about how their colleagues enrich their experience is always great news.

"Smart and humane"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Needham, MA

I have been working at Tripadvisor full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Great culture: The flat structure is truly implemented. - Smart people: A great set of people who really care about what they are doing - Great perks: Apart from free lunches, loads of things to make it easier for you to handle life! Very thoughtful!

Cons

You will not be able to leave (I have been interviewing and getting monetarily better offers, but still haven't found a place that feels better. Hence, haven't left!)

October 8, 2019Talent Acquisition Specialist

Thank you for your positive remarks. We value opinions from employees across all levels and departments; we're glad to hear that this has been your experience. We're also happy to hear that you've found our benefits package, as well as our beyond work benefits to be helpful.

"London office"

Current Employee - Manager, London in London, England

I have been working at Tripadvisor full-time for more than a year

Pros

Free lunch on Tues and Thurs Office space is clean and well-organized

Cons

The UK office is a branch of the US, no decision makers are in the UK office No direction from senior management Senior teams expect a 24d7h work ethic

June 19, 2019Recruiting Operations Coordinator

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. While we are happy to hear that you enjoy the office space and lunch perks, we are disappointed to hear that your experience hasn’t been completely positive. Our London office is our regional EMEA headquarters for TripAdvisor. Within the London office we have some senior Global Leaders and Senior Managers that look after a range of functions such as Sales Leadership, PR, Customer Support and Translations to name a few that are critical for our global business. We have also installed a London Site leadership team to help both run the London office across the matrix of departments and to gather feedback from the teams to better inform and guide the decisions at HQ in Boston. As a global business with some leaders working across the regional teams in Americas, EMEA, and APAC, I can understand that at times you feel stretched as we continue to drive the business forwards. TripAdvisor certainly does not support a 24/7 work ethic as that is not sustainable or productive. We do enable a flexible working environment and when relevant also support working from home to better empower working across the time zones and improving the work/life balance. I would be happy to have a conversation with you to better understand your challenges and solutions that might help you. Many thanks, Martin

"Unclear strategy and positioning"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beijing, Beijing

I have been working at Tripadvisor full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

great benefits, everyday free lunch, snacks, soft drinks, office is nicely decorated, much better working enviroment than local companies; talented staff, good work-life balance, culture of diversity

Cons

local strategy is not clear, what the staff received from the management team looks like we need to find something to do but just "work for work's sake". Might be a good story bottom-up, but is it really something the market/our audience need? Our product is less competative with local players, poor user experinces and bugs seldom taken care of. Staff are busy but a bit directionless, just doing what managers told us to do. Our voice seldom being heard of... Not because no one has opinions, but if voices always get denied or ignored or even not encouraged, whoelse would like to be the "victim". Internally there is also lack of communication across teams. I believe management team have regular meetings, but communication among different teams are less. The office is quiet, only during lunch time people are actively fetching free lunch boxes...too many free things just make people lazier and less innovative...

August 19, 2019Recruiting Operations Coordinator

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. As our company continues to grow, we are appreciative of employee comments that highlight our strengths as well as areas we can improve upon. Thanks for acknowledging that we have provided a comfortable and collaborative environment for you and your colleagues. However it is unfortunate that you felt communication between teams is lacking and your voice has not been heard. You have expressed several important concerns and I believe a more in-depth conversation would be beneficial. I encourage you to connect with your HR Business Partner or me directly for a deeper discussion. As a company founded on the principal of transparency, we work hard to ensure internal strategy are communicated and the voices of our employees are heard. I welcome a time for further discussion. Regards, Ethan Zhu General Manager, China

Found 104 reviews