Tripadvisor Employee Reviews about "great benefits"

Updated 31 Jul 2020

3.6
Tripadvisor President and CEO Stephen Kaufer
Stephen Kaufer
Pros
  • "Free Lunch, Nice Campus, Good Compensation(in 106 reviews)

• "Great benefits, free lunch and the people(in 68 reviews)

Cons
  • "Upper management is a disaster and has been for years(in 25 reviews)

• "During the last large cutting of staff Senior Management said everyone would take a 20% pay cut to help balance the books(in 22 reviews)

Reviews about "great benefits"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Great work balance, but lack of direction"

Former Employee - Account Manager in London, England

I worked at Tripadvisor full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great atmosphere. Excellent pay. Supportive leadership. Great benefits. Freedom to work in different ways

Cons

Total lack of direction. Lack of new ideas

2. COVID-19

"Sad State of Affairs at a Once Great Place to Work"

2.0
    Former Employee - Sales in Needham, MA

I worked at Tripadvisor full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great benefits, perks, generous severance packages

Cons

I loved working at Tripadvisor until the last 1.5 years. After a major reorg that should have been positive, everything took a turn for the worse. Almost all new hires came from Conde Nast, bringing with them an immediate negative impact on culture. It quickly became an "Us" versus "Them" environment; you were either in the clique or you weren't. Long time talented employees who were successful in their roles were pushed aside or out all together. The company also quietly laid off over 200 people in February due to it's own business mismanagement. Then weeks later COVID-19 hits, another 900 people are let go, and the PR machine was in full effect blaming it on the pandemic alone. It's sad to see what the place has become. The downward spiral appears to continue. I hope they can right the ship for the sake of the employees left behind and for what was once a most beloved brand, but it might be too far gone.

3. COVID-19

"Company values have changed"

2.0
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at Tripadvisor full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Tripadvisor used to be a big family of skilled, respected and respectful people. It was a friendly and enjoyable environment with some great benefits. Then, things have changed.

Cons

In 2019, new top-level leaders arrived in the US who soon started restructuring globally some teams without having a clear understanding of how the business worked. Additionally, they brought their own people and some of their own values. These top leaders lack empathy and they have an arrogant and self-righteous approach which is cleverly hidden by their good verbal communication skill. They caused a lot of frustration as they implemented several changes which made processes slower and less effective. They definitely built many walls and not enough bridges by creating a toxic environment. They lack experience and, over the months, to hide their own mistakes, they tried to reverse the bad strategy by changing the processes again. Micromanagement is their rule. They filled teams with several unnecessary positions while others were overloaded. Nepotism is widespread and it is not difficult to understand the logic behind some career advancements. They say they believe in transparency but better not to share your opinion if you don't want to be in trouble. And they also used Covid-19 as an excuse to 'clear' the teams they previously created by removing some of the most experienced and highly paid staff. I will always have fond memories of what Tripadvisor used to be, and it is deeply sad to watch how the company has changed. I have always believed Steve Kaufer to be a great CEO and I simply do not understand why he is letting all this to happen.

Continue reading
  4. "The people you work with make the office culture great"

Former Employee - Sales Support Specialist in Needham, MA

I worked at Tripadvisor full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great benefits, free lunch and the people!

Cons

Career growth is a little limited, it has improved but there are ways to go.

July 1, 2020Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We are appreciative of comments that highlight our strengths as well as areas we can improve upon.

"Sad to watch"

Current Employee - Director, Product Management in Needham, MA

I have been working at Tripadvisor full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Depending on which team you are on, the people can be amazing. I have learned so much from some truly great people many who will be life long friends. The company pays well and has great benefits.

Cons

The company has been on a bad trajectory for a while. I don't have much hope that it will pull itself out. Re-orgs seem to be a substitute for an actual company strategy.

"Great Benefits"

5.0
    Current Employee - Senior Photo Editor in New York, NY

I have been working at Tripadvisor full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good work life balance. Great Benefits

Cons

few downsides! The CEO is a bet meh.

July 1, 2020Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your feedback. We're happy to hear that you've found our benefits package, as well as our beyond work benefits, to be helpful.

"Wonderful Culture, Declining Market Share Causing Business Problems"

Former Employee - Technical Manager

I worked at Tripadvisor full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

* The engineering staff is, generally speaking, brilliant * Great benefits (401k match, travel stipend, dental, vision, etc) * Tons of upward mobility * Great work life balance * The people around you are almost universally pleasant and easy to work with

Cons

* The business side of the company seems to be in a constant state of redefining itself. No vision is ever carried out past a year * Process can occasionally slow things down

8. "Great Internship"

5.0
    Former Intern - Sales Intern
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Tripadvisor for less than a year

Pros

So many great benefits. They take you out on a lot of events. Free food and cold brew on tap. Internship itself was a great learning experience. My manager was a great mentor to me and gave me a lot of work but not overwhelming. I felt like I could actually add value to the company and provide meaningful work. There was a shuttle to/from Boston and Cambridge so I didn't have to live in Needham.

Cons

Business interns typically don't get full-time return offers.

"It's 2020 And This Feels Like A Sinking Ship"

Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Tripadvisor full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Smart engineers, challenging problems and great benefits.

Cons

Upper management is a disaster and has been for years. The company changes course every six months and every new idea is presented as THE IDEA that will fix everything, though often it's something only a few people at the top think is worth doing and everyone on the ground knows will fail. There are highs and lows but the company has been trending downward the last year or two. It's a shame because at its core TripAdvisor is a really great product and something that users love. Unfortunately the company has spent far more time and money on failed marketing campaigns and redesigns than it has in on improving its infrastructure in a way that actually benefits users.

Continue reading

"Great benefits, lack of strategic direction"

No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Tripadvisor full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great benefits, free (amazing) lunch, $600 annual fitness reimbursement, $250 travel reimbursement, summer Fridays, week between Christmas and New Years off, smart people and great teams

Cons

Constant change of direction, lots of uncertainty, constant state of re-organization, focus on speed without quality, teams are often resource constrained and must deliver projects quickly with little focus on success measures

January 24, 2020Talent Acquisition Specialist

Thank you for highlighting the strength of our teams. It's our people make that TripAdvisor a great place to work, so it's always great hearing directly from employees about how their colleagues positively impact their experience. As it is with any large organization, change is inevitable. Rather than viewing it as a setback, we're looking forward to embracing the opportunity ahead.

Found 68 reviews