Tropics Software Technologies Reviews

Updated 1 Jun 2016

4.6
Tropics Software Technologies President & CEO Mike Mobar (no image)
Mike Mobar

"Fun with lots of opportunities"

I worked at Tropics Software Technologies

Pros

Tropics is a fun and creative environment! Lots of opportunities to own projects and shine without corporate "red tape" frustrations.

Cons

Need a few more policies in place and a bit more training support for new hires, assume these typical issues for any company.

2. "Great Company to Work For"

in Sarasota, FL

I worked at Tropics Software Technologies

Pros

Great company atmosphere. Lots of helpful, knowledgeable employees.

Cons

Nothing really springs to mind.

"Fun, fast-paced, and dynamic employer"

5.0

I have been working at Tropics Software Technologies full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Tropics Software is located in bright and sunny, up-and-coming Lakewood Ranch, FL. The company provides excellent benefits for individuals and families including healthcare/dental, plenty of PTO, and 401k matching. The pay is fair and competitive for those who work hard for it, and there is a bonus incentive for those who go above and beyond to help the organization succeed. A flat hierarchy ensures that your thoughts and opinions are heard; management's doors are always open. The environment is exciting, fast-paced, and agile - there is no shortage of work to be done. It is team-oriented in that everyone is willing to pitch in and help outside their normal call of duty. There is excellent opportunity for ambitious individuals to grow both personally and professionally thanks to the mentoring and guidance from senior management. The software product serves the needs of a niche market - the workers' comp insurance industry - and is very exciting to work with because it is constantly changing.

Cons

- No true flextime/flexplace policy, must follow a predetermined/approved schedule - Selective in their hiring process (candidates must be well-qualified and a good fit for the organization), so understaffing is a problem - Lacks a formalized training program at the moment and thus new hires must be proactive and self-motivated

December 9, 2015Administrative Assistant

Thanks for your review. While Tropics doesn’t currently have a formal flextime policy in place, we enjoy the ability to have on-site collaborative team checkpoints, one on one meetings, and social events to encourage relationship building. We are currently revisiting our job descriptions so that we define and narrow job scope, as you suggested. Setting clear expectations sets up new and tenured employees to be successful. We recognize we may be understaffed in some areas, and potentially overstaffed in others; we are leveraging the talent we have to build each team so that everyone has the resources to do the job and maintain balance. Work-life balance is a priority of the company, and a responsibility of each employee too. Ensure you speak up if you have additional suggestions for leadership, sometimes small changes make a big impact.

4. "Software Engineer"

Software Engineer in Lakewood Ranch, FL
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Tropics Software Technologies

Pros

Best benefits package I have seen in decades. Fun work environment, talented people, sturdy product, and lots of interesting events as well as perks.

Cons

Location is not good for many people

December 9, 2015Administrative Assistant

Glad to hear we offer a competitive benefits package! We do have fun and we work hard too. There’s no arguing that we have some top talent on the team! Our location may not work for some, or may be really convenient for others. We are located in sunny Sarasota, with lots of great food and retail options, and close to the best rated beach in the states.

5. "Sarasota's Technology Gem"

Current Employee - Management in Sarasota, FL

Pros

Tropics Software is a hidden gem in Sarasota offering a professional workforce composed of technologists and insurance experts. The employees are fairly active both physically and in the community, and the company culture supports this (even the CEO rides bikes during lunch with staff!). Opportunity for growth professionally as well as technically is only limited by one's self, and upper management embraces creative thinking to find the ultimate solutions. Tropics pay (salary) is fair -- and at or above the local market typically. The benefits are top-notch and even new hires start with a 17-day paid time off (PTO) package which is pretty generous. The company also provides twice-annual bonus payouts for performance and/or sales growth.

Cons

Tropics Software does not offer a full-time work-from-home option to staff, however they are open to occasional work-from-home (when the position provides such capability)

December 9, 2015Administrative Assistant

Glad to hear our employees agree we are making forward progress and keeping innovative. We want to stay that way! True, we don’t have a formal flextime policy, but thanks for the kudos that we are quite flexible and realistic when it comes to scheduling and accommodations. Despite being a software company, we invite opportunities to get away from our desks and stay active! Bike rides over lunch are a great way to be active and build team relationships. This year we started using standing desks in the office for employees who were interested in trying it out, employees love it!

6. "If you want a fast-paced environment with room to grow, this is it!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sarasota, FL

Pros

- Strong benefits: Full health coverage; vision and dental plans; plenty of PTO. - The people are great; the company tries to hire people that are a good fit for the company/culture and not just skill sets. - I have a lot of flexibility in my job. I've been able to work on projects I would have not had the opportunity to be a part of in a large company. - People that take pride in their career at Tropics get a lot of respect from all levels of management; their opinions are valued and considered.

Cons

- No charity PTO days offered. - Does not have real flex time (i.e. you can choose what time schedule you want to work but you must keep that time schedule; can't flex day-to-day).

December 9, 2015Administrative Assistant

We pride ourselves on selecting top talent and providing new opportunities to employees to allow them to explore new projects and focus areas. This is the type of culture we strive to provide for our employees! Thanks for the advice to management. We are constantly working to improve our training programs and with that, finding a great mentor match is a necessity. Don’t hesitate to request a new mentor or request a skip-level meeting (meeting with your manager/mentor’s boss). Tropics will support your career goals, make sure your voice is heard. Did you know that in addition to the paid time off each employee is eligible for, there is a paid time off donation program at Tropics? Check it out on our company intranet!

7. "Fun, Friendly place to work"

4.0

I have been working at Tropics Software Technologies full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Friendly and knowledgeable co-workers (many with 10 years or more with the company), great benefits, and bonus plan. Nice building to work in. Management is easy to access and generally receptive to new ideas. Product is best-of-kind software. Lakewood Ranch area is nice, lots of places to eat close by, and a nice kitchen area if you want to make your own food. Occasional picnics and happy hours give everyone a chance to interact in a more social setting. Casual attire (jeans) with the ability to wear shorts on Fridays for a small charitable donation. The pro's greatly outweigh the cons!

Cons

Salaries are a little low, bonus system is not transparent. No real work from home opportunity, generally seem more concerned with you putting in at least8 hours each day than they are how many hours per week you work.

December 9, 2015Administrative Assistant

Great overview of our perks outside of the same-ole pay and benefits that you can get anywhere else. What makes Tropics stand out as an employer of choice, and keeps our current employees like yourself with the company long term, is not just a paycheck! We are not a fan of micromanagement and encourage you to speak to another member of leadership if you feel this is the case for you or your department specifically. Mistakes are necessary for growth and no manager should ever make you feel shame or embarrassed to own up to and learn from a mistake. We want to foster an environment of autonomy, with enough direction so you don’t get lost!

8. "Great apps, and a great place to work."

IOS Developer

I have been working at Tropics Software Technologies

Pros

Lots of creative freedom and opportunity to express my ideas.

Cons

Not enough salary, so far.

December 9, 2015Administrative Assistant

Thanks for leaving a review! Thanks for being honest about the opportunity for a salary increase to be in your future. We find ourselves pretty competitive when it comes to total compensation, including bonuses and perks. Stick around, show us what you’ve got, stay dedicated and creative; we feel confident the money will come.

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Found 8 reviews