Tyro Payments Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

Tyro Payments Reviews

Updated 11 Oct 2019

3.5
Tyro Payments CEO Robbie Cooke (no image)
Robbie Cooke
Pros
  • "Great Engineering expertise, adopt modern agile practices , flat structure with an engaging and collaborative environment, impeccable work/life balance(in 7 reviews)

• "(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • "Pair programming didn’t suit everybody(in 7 reviews)

• "Occasionally it feels like we don’t get enough direction when it comes to career progression and developing skills(in 4 reviews)

1. "best place to work"

Former Employee - Sales in Sydney

I worked at Tyro Payments full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- culture - people - life long friends - education in FinTech - exudes passion for what we are doing and where we are going - one of the best customer support teams I think I've ever been apart of (big ups Matt Parks - thanks for the jerky over the years!!!)

Cons

I would say the only downside is the Chief Customer Officer doing a lot of finger-pointing but not getting off his butt and doing something about it. Creating structure and giving yourself three new roles is not an 'achievement'. Pushing long-standing employees to the side to create room for "your previous work buddies" does not instill confidence in people at all. As someone who was there from the old days, we... seemed to always hit targets but since he started the targets have not been met. Also, it would be good to hire some half-decent sales reps and not people that you pick off the street.

Advice to Management

Don't act all high and mighty because you've been there for 5+ years and fallen into a roll. Don't pick favourites, change your ways

Tyro Payments2019-10-11

October 15, 2019Chief People Officer

Thank you for your review. It's pleasing to see that you had a positive experience in your 3 - 4 years at Tyro. Feedback from our departing employees is consistent that it is the people and the culture at Tyro that is the best part of their experience. We put a lot of effort into our culture to make it one where people love coming to work everyday and we go through a stringent hiring process to make sure that we hire the best people in terms of skills, experience and fit. I'd be curious to get more context around your assertions against the CCO. Our CCO has transformed our customer function into a high performing and customer-focussed team. We have changed the candidate profile of who we hire in the Customer function to ensure that we deliver against the needs of our customers and WOW them with an exceptional customer experience. Our CCO, and his leadership team, have been instrumental in setting these foundations. Let's discuss this further confidentially, please send me a note on ymandanas@tyro.com and we can chat further.

2. "Engineering focused"

Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at Tyro Payments full-time

Pros

Good engineering focus and discipline. Great environment to learn.

Cons

Pair programming didn’t suit everybody

Tyro Payments2019-10-11

October 14, 2019Chief People Officer

Thanks very much for taking the time to leave us a review. I am really glad to read that you had a positive experience during your time with us. I agree with you, we have an awesome engineering function :) We have taken on board the feedback that pair programming does not suit everyone so now each of the teams in the tribes make the decision on their pair programming arrangements.

3. "Great FinTech company"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Sydney

I have been working at Tyro Payments full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- Great culture - Work life balance - Flexible working arrangements - Nice working environment - Competitive salary - Training and development support

Cons

- rapid growth of staff and management changes, have introduced more formal processes.

Advice to Management

Appreciate the hard work behind the scene of all levels of employees.

Tyro Payments2019-10-01

October 14, 2019Chief People Officer

Thanks very much for taking the time to leave a review. I am happy to read that you recommend Tyro as a place to work and that you have had a positive experience so far. We are proud of our culture and the positive work environment that we all strive to have for our people. You are right, we have experienced significant headcount growth over the last couple of years and there have been some growing pains. I thank you for your patience and commitment in seeing this through. I am confident that we are in a great place now from an organisational and cultural perspective and there has been no better time to be at Tyro.

4. "Slow and uninviting"

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer in Sydney
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Tyro Payments full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Good Location - Nice workmates - Some nice manager

Cons

- Monthly Pay - Issues inside the business that staff have raised ongoing for 6+ months have had no action. No point in asking either because you will just get told they are looking into it. - It's likely depending on the team you are on but I was sitting with people who were completely unrelated to my role whilst there were empty desks around people who were the same role as me and I was ment to be working with.... - This made settling into the job almost impossible. Unable to observe and learn, just had to figure it out my self. Felt very isolated. - Offices are dark and feel uninviting. Moving toward the corporate office feeling rapidly. - There was no cross team communication. You know who the people in your immediate vicinity are but everyone else in the building is a stranger.

Tyro Payments2019-09-26

October 14, 2019Chief People Officer

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback. I am sorry that your experience with us was less than ideal. As you know, we have made many new hires recently. In order to improve the experience of our new Tyros, we have placed significant focus on on our onboarding program so that we could support our new people in their journey at Tyro so that they could get to know other Tyros across the business, help them settle into their roles and know the expectations of them, as well as helping our managers onboard their new starters more effectively. I wish you all the best and again, I am sorry that you had such an experience.

"Best place I've ever worked at"

Current Employee - Technical Lead in Sydney

I have been working at Tyro Payments full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

* Friendly culture * Plenty of smart and helpful individuals * Lots of interesting and challenging work * Interrupt culture. If you need help from someone, just walk up and ask. They will help * TDD. Test drive your changes and you won't feel scared to deploy to prod.

Cons

* Pair programming isn't for everyone. But these days some teams aren't practicing it, so if you prefer to work solo, those teams could be a better fit for you * Interrupt culture. It's as much a pro as it is a con. You will sometimes find it hard to focus as there could be lots of interruptions

Advice to Management

* Keep up the good work!

Tyro Payments2019-08-30

October 14, 2019Chief People Officer

Thanks very much for taking the time to leave a review and I am so delighted to read that Tyro is the best place you have worked at. We all strive to build a culture where our people enjoy coming to work through working with great colleagues and doing interesting and meaningful work. We have taken the feedback that pair programming is not for everyone and as you have pointed out, we leave it to each team in the tribe to decide what works best for them. Whilst there are some downsides to our interrupt culture, the ability to collaborate and move quickly on decisions outweighs these - most of the time anyway :)

"It's a great place, if you don't care about culture."

Former Employee - Product

I worked at Tyro Payments full-time

Pros

- most of the employees that have been at Tyro for a long time (8+ yrs) are lovely people with a wealth of knowledge about the business/sector and are always willing to answer questions/assist - there are a lot of very smart and talented people around - if you are in sales (payment solution specialist) you will likely love Tyro as there is a lot of investment in the sales team - great location close to... public transport and lots of good restaurants - not like the big banks but not like startup/tech innovator either. See cons. - very purposeful when it comes to getting to gender balance specially when it comes to engineering

Cons

- theres is a culture of "don't ask/don't question otherwise you will get in trouble", specially in the product team - very immature to non-existent people and culture practices. For the entire time I was at Tyro I only saw staff from the HR team when they were doing a business wide announcement or when they were advising me/colleagues that someone was being 'let go' - many people disappeared overnight, with... no comms whatsoever. And remember "don't ask if you don't want to get in trouble". - low awareness and engagement with the purpose and values of the business - extremely slow and not much innovation, specially worrisome for a business that has positioned itself as a 'fintech' and the challenger of the big 4 - if you are into tech/innovation, doing things differently, challenging the status quo (in a respectful /constructive way) this may not be the place for you - low levels of trust/feeling of safety amongst colleagues and towards senior executives, specially in product - if people don't feel safe they can't trust and this pretty much defines my existence at Tyro and the existence of many people with whom I worked

Tyro Payments2019-08-13

August 15, 2019Chief People Officer

Thank you for your review and the feedback you have provided. I apologise that you have a mostly negative view of your time at Tyro. I am not sure when you were employed at Tyro but many things have changed significantly and there has been a greater emphasis on developing our culture to a high performing, values-driven and collaborative one in. We have a great Product Team who are highly skilled in both banking and the tech industries and they are open and collaborative and certainly open to new ideas - after all, why hire smart people to tell them what to do, right? :) In the recent engagement survey, the Product Team had one of the highest engagement levels across the business and we are proud of what they have achieved and are excited for what's ahead on the product roadmap. We pride ourselves on the very open and transparent culture that we have and a "don't ask if you don't want to get in trouble" mantra is absolutely not tolerated and is not aligned with the Tyro values. We have recently communicated our Tyro Purpose, Mission, Vision and Values and we are all committed in ensuring all employees are not only aware but also aligned with this. We recognise that a lot of work that HR does behind the scenes is not always visible, mainly due to the confidential nature of our roles, however, ensuring an exceptional employee experience is, and always has been, a priority of ours. Our HR Business Partners embed themselves in the functions they are aligned to and sit with the teams a few times a week to develop relationships and to be available for any employee questions. Again, I apologise for the negative experience you have had, we appreciate that Tyro is not for everyone. Please don't hesitate to contact me on ymandanas@tyro.com if you would like to discuss your concerns further.

7. "Opportunity lost"

Current Employee - Business Manager

I have been working at Tyro Payments full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

CBD office location Historical achievements Bank Licence

Cons

No innovation Chasing form over substance Lack of new features or innovation

Advice to Management

What is the end game? Don’t be so insular in your thinking Challenge leadership to deliver something innovative and not just ‘me too’

Tyro Payments2019-08-13

August 15, 2019Chief People Officer

Thanks for your review. and the feedback you have provided. As you would have seen in recent company updates at Mindshare and company communications, we have delivered a number of new product enhancements and features that our customers want and need to help their business. I encourage you to attend the fortnightly product demos, that the whole company is invited to attend, which showcases the upcoming work of our Product and Engineering Teams which may change your views on our lack of new features or innovation. If you would like to discuss any of your concerns further, come and have a chat to me on level 1, or if you have more Product specific questions, Bronwyn is always available to chat on level 4, or you can speak with each of the Product Leads on levels 3 and 4. Let's have an open conversation and we can work together on improving your experience at Tyro.

8. "Great place to work"

No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Tyro Payments full-time for more than a year

Pros

Extremely well balance between work and life. Generally there are not much work stress at Tyro, everyone's are (way!) too nice to each other. There is extremely extremely rare case of any arguments and no one ever shouts to anyone.

Cons

Pay and benefits are lacking in comparison to other similar fintech/bank. Certain roles in company tends to always get the heat and pressure depending on which department you are in.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. Might be worth looking at introduce some kind of staff benefit package.

Tyro Payments2019-05-08

August 9, 2019Chief People Officer

Thank you for your feedback. A respectful and collaborative culture is surely one that we always strive to continue. Whilst disrespectful communication styles are absolutely not tolerated, we still ensure that we have a culture where every employee in any role feels comfortable to provide honest, direct and constructive feedback, and have productive conversations to allow us to meet our objectives. We regularly review our rewards package for our employees to ensure that we remain competitive in the market and that we appropriately reward and motivate our employees and are able to attract new talent to Tyro also. As you would have seen recently, we have further expanded our employee benefits package that we offer our people. In saying that, the People Team are focussed on always improving the employee experience so if you have some ideas on how we can further improve this, please come and speak with any member of the People Team. With the exciting times ahead, and our laser cut focus on our initiatives and projects, I would say that there is a healthy amount of pressure on all teams across Tyro :)

"Awesome Work Culture & Great Engineering teams"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Sydney

I have been working at Tyro Payments full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Tyro has a very flat hierarchy and everyone is very approachable including top management - Tyro has a very transparent & collaborative interview process. Recruitment team is very efficient in attracting top talents. - Tyros always have veery keen focus on efficient team collaboration - Follows Agile processes pragmatically ( TDD, Optional Pairing, Scrum/Kanban, Retros ) - Engineering teams are very... talented and follows some of the very good engineering principles. Almost everything is automated. Team heavily adopts continuous integration & delivery - Teams are autonomous and every decision is taken democratically with entire teams consensus. - Teams strive to do better and always try to learn from others mistakes

Cons

- Tyro initially lacked some of the front end & cloud experience and hence some of the legacy systems are not well designed. But Tyro is building these capabilities which can be a good learning platform for engineers.

Tyro Payments2019-04-24

August 9, 2019Chief People Officer

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us a review. We do indeed have talented and passionate teams of Engineers who are working towards a common cause - building great products for our customers. As you know, we have made some great strides in our technology and we continue to ensure that the technology we use is fit for our needs and the systems we design and develop continue to be robust and scalable. I am so happy to read that you are having a great experience at Tyro.

10. "Don't work there!!!"

I have been working at Tyro Payments full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Nothing, Nothing, Nothing , nothing and Nothing

Cons

Constantly targets increasing Teams fighting against each other for sales No atonomy No work from home allowance No support Zero career progression

Advice to Management

Hire people who believe in the product not just monkeys that will work for a banana

Tyro Payments2019-05-31

August 9, 2019Chief People Officer

I am very sorry to hear that your experience has not been a pleasant one and that you do not see anything positive about working at Tyro. The targets we set for our employees are always communicated in a clear and transparent way and we ensure that they are challenging but also achievable, we hire talented and smart people so that we are able to provide them with a productive level of autonomy and we have had a lot more focus on flexible working practices and career progression. I would like to further understand the concerns you have raised, please feel free to come and see me in the office so we can have a confidential discussion on these matters.

Found 68 reviews