U.S. Department of State Reviews

Mike Pompeo
  1. "FRAUD INVESTIGATOR"

Current Employee - Fraud Representative in Sydney

I have been working at U.S. Department of State full-time for more than a year

Pros

This September, 19-21 I had opportunity to intern for the Department of State’s Bureau of International Narcotics and Law Enforcement Affairs (INL). Throughout my academic career in the department of veterans affairs (va) as oversight office of inspector general (oig) and current internships, working for the State Department was always my goal, and I had built my resume with that in mind. One of the first things I discovered when I received the offer to work at the U.S. Department of State (also referred to by some simply as ‘State’) I began to share the news with others which every average American does, and not knowing what State is or what it does. In fact, the most common question I received was "which state do you now work for?" What I quickly realized was even if I was, someone who has wanted to work at the State Department for years, and was not fully aware of the scope of the agency's work. At the State Department just to answer the question, I would be working on a variety of issues related to transnational crime and drug trafficking. Specifically, I was assigned to public affairs and drug demand reduction programs. I had to learned how to write memorandums to brief other sections of the department and senior leadership on INL issues. I had to write for guidance on various issues for department employees to use when speaking to the press. It's an opportunity to initiate a project proposals, and coordinate with other governmental agencies on INL issues. As every individual, I will reflect on my internship, I am really glad I was offered a position in INL, because I will be able to see firsthand and it's so significantly important role for every diplomacy plays in combating drug trafficking, especially as the U.S. itself deals with an opioid crisis claiming thousands of lives. Drug trafficking affects many countries and, therefore, requires an internationally-coordinated response. That is why INL assists other countries in strengthening their law enforcement and justice sectors as well as increase their knowledge of treatment and prevention of substance use disorders INL also works with international organizations, including the United Nations, on behalf of the United States to internationally control precursors to dangerous drugs such as fentanyl. In fact, in 2017, the UN Commission on Narcotic Drugs voted to restrict fentanyl precursors, helping to limit the availability of the chemicals to illegal drug traffickers. The work INL does is incredibly important and can help to save lives.

Cons

That is why I am grateful to have been given the opportunity to contribute to some really dynamic photos illustrating the work of INL to the United States Diplomacy Center, The work INL does is incredibly important and can help to save lives. I am very passionate about this photos museum's purpose if I may call it, as I believe Americans should be aware and proud of the accomplishments in international diplomacy.

Continue reading
  2. "Overall - good place to work, many opportunities within"

Current Employee - Senior Management Analyst in Rosslyn, VA

I have been working at U.S. Department of State full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

many opportunities within; chance to travel

Cons

chasm between civil service and foreign service employees' some of the FSOs can be very arrogant and entitled

3. "Great employer"

Current Employee - Office Director in Washington, DC

I have been working at U.S. Department of State full-time

Pros

Interesting work, wonderful people, opportunity to make a difference in the world.

Cons

lots of moves, lots of overtime

4. "Amazing people, amazing mission!"

I have been working at U.S. Department of State full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The people who work at State are devoted professionals. It is an honor to serve with such individuals - bright, worldly, and kind.

Cons

Not too much control over where you’ll end up serving. This can be hard on the family.

"Amazingly smart people, stilted HR system"

Current Employee - Unit Chief in Washington, DC

I have been working at U.S. Department of State full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The smartest people in government. The best, most professional ones, too.

Cons

Just terrible HR system that can't seem to overcome the vagaries of the civil service system in the way other agencies have been able to.

6. "I was satisfied with this position."

Former Employee - Environmental Protection Specialist in Washington, DC

I worked at U.S. Department of State full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Fair wages - Good hours -Friendly work environment

Cons

- Bureaucracy - Things moved very slowly.

"Good work life balance"

I have been working at U.S. Department of State full-time

Pros

Great work-life balance; tremendous travel and overseas experience opportunities for those interested

Cons

can get very political; a lot of high level positions are increasingly political appointees

8. "N/A"

Current Employee - Foreign Affairs Officer in Washington, DC

I have been working at U.S. Department of State full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Excellent Mission, Talented Colleagues, Global Experience

Cons

High Pressure, Long Hours, High Intensity

9. "Good job but bureaucratic"

Former Employee - Analyst in Washington, DC

I worked at U.S. Department of State full-time

Pros

interesting people and strong mission

Cons

slow promotions and some politics

10. "Lifestyle more than a Career"

I have been working at U.S. Department of State full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great, interesting, fulfilling work all over the world.

Cons

Current administration and top leaders at the department are evil, and representing them is demeaning. They care very little for

Continue reading