USAA Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

3.6
USAA CEO Stuart Parker
Stuart Parker
Pros
Cons
  • "The first year on the phones are the hardest if you do not have previous call center experience(in 336 reviews)

• "None this is honestly a career long employer and head and shoulders above working at other companies especially military contractors(in 115 reviews)

1. "Wonderful company, fantastic career choice for those burn-out by retail/hospitality/food service management"

Current Employee - Auto Claims Adjuster in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at USAA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Excellent company culture... The company really invests in it's employees & is responsive to our feedback (which is amazing considering how large the company is) - Work-life balance... I have every weekend off, have yet to work more than 45 hours during any given week (and even then the OT isn't a problem since I'm hourly). - 401K Program... USAA matches all employee 401K contributions $1 for $1 up to 8% of our...

Cons

- This is NOT the ideal job for anyone that is not accustomed to working in a fast-paced and stressful environment... Claims adjusters at USAA are always BUSY! - This is NOT the ideal job for anyone who is accustomed to working "banker's" hours or only accustomed to working 40 hours a week. At times we do have to put in a little bit of OT every once in a while. All new auto claims adjusters work 11:00 AM - 7:30 PM...

Advice to Management

Focus on hiring candidates with retail/hospitality/food service experience. These individuals would not only be able to handle the fast-paced workload, but they welcome (with open arms) the stable work schedule of an Auto Claims Adjuster, even with the slightly non-traditional 11:00 am - 7:30 pm shifts.

USAA2019-06-19
  2. "Great company!"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at USAA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The pay, benefits, and annual bonuses.

Cons

None really. It was a distance issue for me.

USAA2019-06-18
  3. "Great for collecting a check"

Current Employee - Senior Processor

I have been working at USAA full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great benefits, 8% 401k match, annual bonus but keeps getting smaller. Company provides a lot of quality of life benefits and really focused on employee experience but to a fault.

Cons

Terrible place to work if you're young and ambitious. Degree is a must if you plan on moving anywhere above a senior role. Too many underperforming, tenured employees working in key positions that prevent top talent from moving up and is making departments run incoherently. USAA places employee experience at great importance but isn't holding employees, mostly high tenured, accountable in fear of backlash. A lot of the...

Advice to Management

Hold your managers, key support positions, and high tenured employees more accountable to performance and results. Additionally, positions considered stepping stones to management need to be cleared of complacent employees collecting checks. These roles are too heavily taken advantage of for requiring less day to day tasks. It's causing your top talent to leave for other opportunities.

USAA2019-06-17
  4. "Best Employer"

Current Employee - Member Services Associate in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at USAA full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Positive environment Member and employee centric Training and education paid for Excellent benefits Work from home opportunities

Cons

Parking can be challenging with 17000+ employees. You have to get their pretty early to find parking. It seems like there are 1000s of reserved parking spots for those that have worked 25 years or more which contributes to the challenging parking situation.

Advice to Management

Make specific levels of parking garages for reserved parking only so everyone else wont have to drive around in circles looking for parking.

USAA2019-06-15
  5. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Development Product Owner in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at USAA full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

This company truly lives its stated mission. They really make it every employees mission to serve our clients in the best way possible. They do this by taking care of their employees. I feel appreciated and needed.

Cons

Work can be stressful at times. As the company has grown it has drawn much more regulatory scrutiny. Bringing the company into compliance with all of the new federal regulations has been an all hands effort.

Advice to Management

Reduce the amount of turmoil.

USAA2019-06-15
  6. "Great traditional company"

Former Employee - Software Developer & Integrator III in San Antonio, TX

I worked at USAA full-time for more than a year

Pros

Worked with some amazing - talented people, working on utilizing new technology, offices are tailored for millennial appeal with ping-pong tables/pool, some flexibility to work from home, benefits are great, lots of PTO

Cons

Limited offices across the US, mainly in San Antonio, Tx. Company works slowly to put you in roles that you want or have a strong point in. Older technology and slowly transferring into new tech. Full-time remote positions are hard to come by. Very corporate

Advice to Management

Embrace change/outlook from the younger employees and work on more work/life balance.

USAA2019-06-14

"USAA overall is a great employer"

Former Employee - Property FieldAdjuster in Seattle, WA

I worked at USAA full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The compensation package is the best. I worked with USAA for almost 19 years. They pay for your education and a portion of your health benefits. They even match your retirement funds unto 8%. There are also bonuses.

Cons

It has become a numbers based company. Training is not available to everyone as it once was. It is for the most part a call center. While there is somewhat of a consistency in the office there isn't any consistency in the field.

Advice to Management

Almost every role I have ever had with USAA had extensive training . Being in the field and getting promoted does not mean you have the knowledge necessary to continue the level of confidence or quality of service to provide the level of assistance the members are expecting. Training needs to be reviewed, updated and made available to everyone not just a selected group.

USAA2019-06-03
  8. "Great training and benefits"

Former Employee - Member Service Representative in Tampa, FL

I worked at USAA full-time for more than a year

Pros

Extensive training and guidance regarding insurance servicing.

Cons

Posting out of property and casualty department is difficult.

USAA2019-06-10
  9. "Newbie review (<1 year experience)"

Current Employee - Senior Advisor in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at USAA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Members are the #1 priority and focus.

Cons

"Not my job" is a widespread mentality. Some are not open to best practice or industry practice over "USAA way" of doing things.

Advice to Management

Look to find ways to get your employees training from the outside in. It's the USAA way mentality and way of doing things that has resulted in risk and compliance troubles.

USAA2019-06-05
  10. "Customer Service"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Tampa, FL

I worked at USAA full-time for more than a year

Pros

Co-Workers were what kept me there as long as I was.

Cons

Management lacks discipline, and direction. They appear to be happy to have moved into a position that doesn't require direct customer contact.

USAA2019-06-20