USAA Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

3.6
USAA CEO Stuart Parker
Stuart Parker
1,08 Ratings
  1. "Really great place to work."

Current Employee - Software Developer in Plano, TX

I have been working at USAA full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Amazing corporate culture, very mission driven.

Cons

Maybe too slow to make decision.

USAA2019-09-18
  2. "Excellent benefits"

Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Tampa, FL

I have been working at USAA full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great health insurance, maternity leave and 401k

Cons

Most positions are call center

USAA2019-09-17

"Great company to work for but..."

Current Employee - Insurance Sales Agent in Tampa, FL

I have been working at USAA full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great benefits from day 1 Great work schedule flexibility PTO hours generated every pay period Education assistance is great so use it to pursue your career of choice. Military culture

Cons

It is a call center and you are expected to sell insurance on almost every call. Work life balance is not that great, unpaid lunches, bonus is determined by overall business results. Florida campus is expected to outperform other campuses but you will get paid the same. Sales practices are inconsistent sometimes as well as instructions given. Managers tend to focus on what you did wrong no matter what. Even if... the call was perfect they are trained to find something you could do better. No the highest paying insurance company

Advice to Management

The coaching model used at Usaa is not great. Managers are trained to focus and emphasize on "oppurtunities" rather then giving credit where credit is due.

USAA2019-09-27

"Amazing Company"

Former Employee - Insurance Specialist in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at USAA full-time for more than a year

Pros

Most friendly and welcoming company I've been apart of. People are genuine here, i still have relationships with past managers and amazing team mates.

Cons

Some managers (Not to be named here) said that they cared for the military and their families. That was a lie to be blunt. When I was going through hard times in my marriage and missing days here and there my manager told me if I missed another day that I'd be put on restriction. My wife gave me the news that she wanted a divorce and I was devastated, I was not in any way fit for work or to talk to members. Well... that manager put me on restriction anyways, didn't listen to me or what I had to say about what was going on. I had the best sales on the team at the time and worked quite a bit of overtime. I had a few disabilities thanks to my service including one being IBS. It sometimes would require elongated bathroom breaks, my manager complained EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. and threatened me with various things because of my severe IBS. She refused to work with me despite being put up by a previous manager as employee of the month multiple times as well as the most recognition in my district by multiple superiors. This manager had it out for me, USAA lost a solid employee because of it.

Advice to Management

Get rid of trash managers who've been with the company for a long time but are ruining their teams motivations to be here. Call centers are tough enough, theres 0 reason to keep someone who doesn't care about the military and their families and who is full of poor excuses for bad feed backs they give employees.

USAA2019-09-01

"You can retire here, but it may be a long road"

Current Employee - Computer Systems Engineer in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at USAA full-time for more than a year

Pros

The culture is its own world and a good one. work/life balance is good but watch out where you work for flexibility benefits are top in class the USAA brand is true to its values

Cons

-advancement could be years -becoming a big bank puts the culture in question -making management is still very old thinking; what college did you go to? who can I trade with this manager to get what I need, who do I know, tenure driven -parking is like socal, once you park...don't move!

Advice to Management

As the bonus slowly drops to the industry average of 10%, there needs to be new benefits that fill the gap coming. we already get great benefits, but many at USAA the salary is tied into the bonus. This will soon be a broke system.

USAA2019-08-31

"Great company"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative

I worked at USAA full-time

Pros

Everything was great

Cons

There was nothing bad there

USAA2019-09-07

"Excellent place to grow"

Former Employee - Financial Foundations Senior Specialist in San Antonio, TX

I worked at USAA full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- Company culture -incentives -benefits -bonus -college tuition assistance -amenities on campus -people willing to help

Cons

-inability to move up after many years there -little ability to perform work outside normal duties to gain experience

USAA2019-09-05

"Mortgage Originations and compliance"

Former Employee - Business Risk and Governance Compliance Specialist III in San Antonio, TX
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at USAA full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

As a bank employee: great place to work, outstanding employees, culture and pay above San Antonio's Market, 24 + days off

Cons

just try to stay away from the call center MSR type of job, unless is as a mortgage Loan Officer or processor

USAA2019-09-05
  9. "Usaa"

Current Employee - Real Estate Agent

I have been working at USAA full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

they let me bring food into work

Cons

you cant sell boxes underneath the interstate bridges

Advice to Management

Let me buy a card board box for my family to live in

USAA2019-10-15

"USAA gone forever, culture is in a death spiral"

Current Employee - Executive Director in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at USAA full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Compensation and benefits, free fitness facilities, subsidized health lunches

Cons

Expense pressures are driving lay offs. Annual bonus has been declining the past 4 years and is expected to hit a new low this year

USAA2019-09-12