Uline Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

Uline CEO Dick Uihlein
Dick Uihlein

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

1. "Great place to work!"

I have been working at Uline full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people are impressive. Everyone I interacted with through the interview process and since I've joined the team have been very high caliber. The working conditions are great. Uline has high expectations of its employees while providing the support and stability needed to set you up for success. The food is also amazing. More than anything, the way that Uline treats the customer is unlike anything I have seen. It is a great place to work!

Cons

Some people point to the dress code as a con. While I understand this, as a manager at my former company that didn't have as clear of a policy, the ambiguity created more challenges and frustrations when people would test the limits. At least this provides clear expectations and they are up front about that in the interview process.

2. "Great Benefits"

I worked at Uline full-time

Pros

Outstanding benefits and profit-sharing bonus

Cons

Very closely monitored and strict regulations

3. "customer service"

I have been working at Uline full-time

Pros

decent pay, great bonus, some nice people

Cons

this company is micro managed to the maximum.

Advice to Management

be honest and fair to your employees, praise as much as you critique employees morale is low because workers don't feel important

4. "Customer service representative"

I worked at Uline full-time

Pros

Bonuses, location, and CS week.

Cons

Very strict and Managers gossip

5. "Customer service rep"

I have been working at Uline full-time

Pros

Great culture and benefits

Cons

No opportunity to move up

6. "Great Place To Work"

Current Employee - Freight Picker in Ontario, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Freight Picker in Ontario, CA (US)

I have been working at Uline full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay is high compared to other places. Great bonuses and employee perks. I learned about how to run a successful business and am seeing 100% growth year over year for 4 straight years. Thank You so much, Mr. and Mrs. Uline!

Cons

It's a tough job with very high expectations. Only the best of the best actually succeed here.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great job guys. I really miss working here, sometimes. Johnny is a natural leader and I wish him well.

"Solid company"

Current Employee - Manager in Pleasant Prairie, WI (US)
    Current Employee - Manager in Pleasant Prairie, WI (US)

I have been working at Uline full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

-Good benefits.
    -Generous Profit sharing and bonus.
    -Positive culture. No backstabbing and politics aren’t a big issue. They take care of their employees.
    -Company is very healthy financially.
    -Invest in developing employees.
    -Great work/life balance. When you’re not at work, you’re not expected to check emails.
    -Strong moral values and culture.

Cons

-Top leadership can be erratic at times. President has final decision, but she is often right. She also asks for a lot of opinions from others before making a decision.
    -Ridiculous (and often comical) policies on keeping workspace neat and orderly. That being said, the facilities are impeccably maintained. The facilities and maintenance staff are wonderful people. They take pride in facilities’ appearance and professionalism. So the perks outweigh the quirks.

"They just don't hire instead promote themselves by advertising job opportunities and spread word in market."

Pros

Growing business, Prime location office

Cons

Centralized and head office driven

9. "Terrible"

I worked at Uline full-time

Pros

Good benefits and compensation. Company is growing.

Cons

Terrible leadership and culture. Horrible place to work.

"Horrible Owner and Culture"

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Pleasant Pr, WI (US)
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Pleasant Pr, WI (US)

I worked at Uline full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Good Bonus
    - Worked with some cool people and made some good friends.
    - Cared about my career development and helped me build a good resume.

Cons

- Owner shoves Conservatism down your throat.
       Example: At year end celebration presentation, joked that they would start selling bean bags so millennials who are upset about the election can feel comfortable like their mommy's are hugging them. Joked they would sell toilet paper with Obama's face on it.
    - Owner leads by fear. Not friendly, cannot talk to, and is not approachable.
    - Constant drug testing all the time.
    - I have never worked somewhere with more corporate politics. It feels like a high school with cliques, gossip, drama, and emotion led decisions instead of logic.
    - Owner bashed her own analysts work in their catalog "Message from the Owner Section" that went to every customer? Why? Again, why?
    - Strict dress code to point where if a female employee wears a pant suit, the tags of the top and bottom have to match. Also have to wear certain shoes and pantyhose certain months of the year. Men - shirt and tie always except Friday's.
    - Can not have more than 3 personal items on desk even if said item was given to you by the company which makes absolutely no sense. I have seen them tell an employee to take down a picture of their family because the frame was too big.
    - Managers/Directors/VP's don't have to do anything and are not given responsibility because Liz makes all the decisions.
    - The company operates as if its 1980.
    - Owner hates millennials and Liberals.
    - Heard rumors that she has asked people who they voted for in elections in interviews.
    - Warehouse and CS positions are paid above market, everything else is paid below market unless you are an external hire Manager or higher.
    - Forced to clock in and out even if on salary. This is terrible because you would have to hit your hours regardless if you had work to do so this would cause you to sit and stare at the clock for the last hour or two every day doing absolutely nothing.
    - Analysts have sent memos to Liz before and received them back graded from her. People have received literally an "F-" before for no reason. She is not an expert on what all these analysts do every day.
    - 0 recycling. They use an absurd amount of paper and do 0 recycling. Owner thinks trees are being planted faster than they are being cut down.
    - Wanted the company to cutback on Volunteer work yet she donates her money to anti-LGBTQ funds movements.
    - I could go on and on and on....

Advice to Management

- Have someone other than Liz run the company.
    - Empower people sometimes and stop micromanaging.
    - Try and remove all the drama and gossip that Liz loves to push into the culture.
    - Get with the times, its not 1980 anymore.
    - Don't bring politics into the culture.
    - At least pay market value.
    - When Liz stops running the company, please change the culture.