Ungerboeck Software International Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Director of Sales"

Former Employee - Director of Sales in Brisbane
    Former Employee - Director of Sales in Brisbane

Pros

A great team of people to work with and a equally great industry to be involved with. I like meeting people and travel and so was content for my 10 years I worked at Ungerboeck.

Cons

For the sales people there was no training during the span of 10 years I was there. You learnt the industry through engaging with clients and attending trade shows. Compared to when I first joined the compensation package gradually eroded so for a sales person the incentive died. So essentially the skills you start with are basically where you exit the company.

Advice to Management

Trust your sales team and train them properly. Give them the tools to engage with clients and not rely on sales support staff.

"Ungerboeck is a great place to work"

Current Employee - Web Developer in O'Fallon, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Web Developer in O'Fallon, MO (US)

I have been working at Ungerboeck Software International full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people, approachable management and a nice, collaborative culture. Casual-dress code with none of that "best-dressed competition" corporate office environments often feel like. Great fitness program and a diverse, non-judgemental staff. The management team shows genuine interest in employees' success through actions, benefits, activities and programs.

Cons

There is no paid maternity leave.

Advice to Management

Continue pushing the staff and products forward to a higher standard of excellence. Continue to make changes to modernize products and brand.

3. "Decent place to start"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Saint Louis, MO (US)
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Saint Louis, MO (US)

I worked at Ungerboeck Software International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Great people
    -Low stress environment
    -Variable start times

Cons

-Not all projects are managed nicely
    -Old technologies

Advice to Management

Always keep improving!

"From an actual employee - consider your options carefully."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO (US)

I worked at Ungerboeck Software International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If you are an established professional in tech – do not waste your time here. Their salary offering should ensure that. Be sure to clarify that up front to save yourself some time. If you want to transition to tech or you are a young developer right out of school – you might consider this opportunity. It may allow you to cut your teeth on a business management software and in technology in general. The subject matter and client base are varied and can provide solid career experience. You just have to go in with your eyes wide open and clear, time-defined, objectives that are client-centric. While you are working towards your next step, do not waste your energy dealing with their complete lack of quality assurance or stressing out about a lack of resources. Get in, get your skills, and get out.

Cons

I was debating ever leaving a review here and wondering what good it would do. That is until I saw several reviews left over the past few weeks. Problems at USI do not come down to office layout/space and dealing with so much “growth”.
    Let’s call the last couple of years, “transition”, or “period of change” what it is – inept and clumsy c-level management that flies in the face of good leadership skills. This naturally caused middle management to become fearful and to begin flailing (those who could, left). A toxic environment became the norm for all. In addition to this cycle, some inexplicable new hires were made that actually added layers to middle management. Non-value added would be the kindest way to put it. Another fun feature has been the complete disregard for the career paths of existing long-term employees – one that cannot be justified by a lack of merit, skills, or common sense.
    Let’s also be clear that the high turnover (referred to openly at one point as “weekly departures”) is not a matter of folks who didn’t get a new “vision” or a “better way of operating” transitioning out. Do not fool yourselves - it is a matter of those who have the opportunity and ability to leave are leaving. There is no “dust settled” as of this writing. The only silver lining of the turnover is that there have been short bursts of long overdue promotions and salary increases for existing (and very deserving) employees – ostensibly part of a bigger plan but really just meant to stem the tide of departures.

Advice to Management

This place has just lost its way. In the past, there were inefficiencies and it was a bit unpolished for sure. However, it could have been great – and it may still be. Perhaps a member of the family might still step in.

Ungerboeck Software International Response

1 Jun 2018 – HR Generalist

Thanks for leaving a review. We do appreciate feedback of any kind. As many of the reviews mention, there has been quite a bit of change. Change that you obviously witnessed first hand and it was... More

"Growth!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in O'Fallon, MO (US)

I have been working at Ungerboeck Software International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

For me, the most notable pro about working at Ungerboeck has been the professional and personal development/growth I have experienced since I joined the company nearly 4 years ago.

We have certainly had our challenges over the past year and half. Leadership has changed and the business model has evolved to better reflect current software industry trends (both business model wise and software technology wise), and because of those changes our comfort zones get challenged a bit. However, it has been through those challenges that I have grown as a person, and what more could someone ask for from an employer besides opportunities to grow and develop both personally and professionally?

The flexibility of schedules, the focus on health and wellness and an overall desire to work hard and produce really cool stuff that offers solutions to customer problems is...quite fun, albeit challenging at times. But it's a challenge to overcome and that's what makes it rewarding at the of the day.

In summary, there is no perfect business out there, no company that does not have opportunities to evolve their message, their product and their customer service. We exist in a space (software) that you must always be evolving and getting better. I totally believe that is what we've done over the past year and half. Has it been uncomfortable at times? Yes. Has it been challenging at times? Yes. Has it been fun? Totally. I will say what I said earlier, I have grown tremendously by working through those challenging and fun times. And that is a benefit that won't ever show up on a website.

Cons

I have read a lot on here about the building look/fee and I would agree that it's time for an update, a bit more of a modern feel would be nice, I mean the 90's were great, but that was while ago and the decor from that era should be updated to better reflect the drive for innovation that exists within the product and offerings.

At times there can be a feeling that messaging is too positive and that we don't seek enough critical feedback on product or processes, so I think we need to be OK talking about the stuff that goes wrong and what we can do to learn from it.

Advice to Management

Extend more trust to those of the company that are pushing the boundaries of what the software can do and what problems Ungerboeck software can help our customers solve. The talent within the company is tremendous, let them continue to help push the product to better and better places. Sometimes you just need to get out of their way.

"Great Place to Work"

I have been working at Ungerboeck Software International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I thoroughly enjoy coming to work each day. The flexibility and family-friendly work environment is perfect for my busy life.
    There is a genuine focus on client satisfaction with support from the executive management team.
    The open door policy and speed of change is refreshing.

Cons

Benefits - The short-term disability policy mandates that the employee uses all PTO first, which can be problematic.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing! Ungerboeck lives the core values and is a great place to work!

"Best company to work for!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in O'Fallon, MO (US)

Pros

USI has created a fantastic work-life balance standard which is hard to find these days. The company really takes the growth and development of its employees to heart. The salary and benefits are great, the coworkers are incredibly motivated people, and the company is growing at a great pace across the globe, which provides great opportunities to work on international projects. The CEO is very positive and that sets a good culture, HR is extremely friendly and engaging, and I love working on different challenging projects with my supervisor. I am very excited about my professional growth at USI and about the company’s future!

Cons

Outdated building and limited parking spaces as the company is growing.

Advice to Management

Keep up the fantastic and challenging work. The team is passionate and ready to support and follow your instructions!

"Great company to work for!"

Current Employee - Product Manager in Saint Louis, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Saint Louis, MO (US)

I have been working at Ungerboeck Software International full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

It's all about delighting the customer - every division, group, and job discipline. You work with smart people, you work on exciting projects within an exciting industry, you are pushed to your limits...which can be rewarding when you accomplish great things. The diversity of the potential work and innovation can be very alluring. A lot of learning opportunities.

Cons

The company is changing rapidly to focus on customer satisfaction, changes are painful sometimes. You need to be willing to work hard :).

Advice to Management

Setting clearer expectations up front could help to identify individuals that thrive in this type of environment.

"Good Company, Great People"

I have been working at Ungerboeck Software International full-time

Pros

I've been with the company for more than a year. The best part has been the people I work with - very talented and dedicated. If you've worked at organizations where you didn't have talented co-workers, you understand why this is so important.
    The company itself has more of a family atmosphere than corporate. It is a smaller company which I like and does have a global presence which can be very challenging (in a good way).
    The culture is very impressive. There are plenty of social events and company celebrations. It's not all play, of course, but the company does seem to actively try to maintain a balance.
    The CEO, Manish Chandak, has a very strong technical background and seems to understand the need to invest in newer technologies. He has definitely taken steps to move the company in a more innovative and "cutting edge" direction which is great to be a part of.
    Having a personal trainer on staff with a workout area is very popular.

Cons

I think the biggest con would be the legacy environment currently being supported. This is definitely decreasing and hopefully will be retired soon but for now it is still there.
    The company is definitely growing and so common problems like parking, office space, etc. do exist. I'm sure that management is aware of these and addressing them.

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on retiring the legacy environment so even more time and effort can be dedicated to the new versions of the product.
    Continue to invest to newer technologies and allowing your technical staff to innovate and explore.

"Silicon valley is old news - USI defines modern tech in the midwest"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in O Fallon, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in O Fallon, MO (US)

Pros

Flexible schedules, low stress, challenging work, talented coworkers, leaders who truly understand their product and industry.

Self hosted hack-a-thons, tons of yearly events, full time gym and personal fitness trainer.

Company recently had a massive culture shift and the department is in much, much better shape. Communication is improving, teams are building things ahead of schedule and overall it feels like all cylinders are firing.

Cons

Behind on technology. Company seriously needs to figure out a plan to escape from certain legacy services and invest even more in new R&D.

Niche market - the Event industry is great, but with how many talented engineers they have, they could be building and earning way more. Should consider diversifying their offerings.

Buildings are outdated, but they appear to be working on that?

Not enough bathrooms for the growing number of employees.

Parking will likely be an issue in the near future.

Advice to Management

Work on improving communication and recognizing the effort of your movers and shakers.

The company lost some seriously talented folks the last year and a few of the departures could have been prevented with some proactive steps from management.

When it comes to culture and the state of the department, don't just take the word of your direct reports, put more effort into engaging with the employees directly.