University of Derby UK Employee Reviews about "great place"

Updated 14 May 2020

3.3
University of Derby UK Vice-Chancellor and Chief Executive Kathryn Mitchell
Kathryn Mitchell
Pros
Cons
  • "If a member of the team leaves, their work is offloaded on to the others in the team and it takes a while to recruit a new staff member(in 4 reviews)

• "Many academics are trapped and want to leave but can’t due to family, location, state of HE generally etc(in 3 reviews)

Reviews about "great place"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Breath of fresh air"

Current Employee - Legal Counsel in Derby, England

I have been working at University of Derby UK full-time

Pros

Its a great place to work. I feel genuinely respected, appreciated, rewarded for good work and most importantly they offer genuine flexible working where no one begrudges you a true work life balance. A real breath of fresh air from some companies who claim to offer flexible working and be forward thinking but the reality doesn't match the claims. The University is a really positive working environment and I am enjoying my time here immensely. Great annual leave allowance and pension too. During the pandemic, the University have been an employer to be proud of, there is so much work they are doing to support the local hospitals with scanning equipment, PPE, nursing and other healthcare workers, Ipads for patients to keep in touch with their loved ones, Covid-19 testing stations, and this is on top of the usual programme of civic engagement and funding.

Cons

The food is quite pricey compared with other staff food provision I have used but I just take my own.

University of Derby UK2020-05-14
  2. "Great place to learn"

Current Employee - MSC Student

I have been working at University of Derby UK full-time

Pros

Great place to study and better oneself as a person

Cons

Online learning needs a lot of self discipline and hard work

Continue reading
    University of Derby UK2019-08-01
  3. "Academic"

I have been working at University of Derby UK part-time

Pros

Great place to work with a great vision and ambition

Cons

Some campuses are located quite a distance from the main library but there is a good shuttle bus

University of Derby UK2019-04-15
  4. "Employee Reviews"

4.0
    Current Employee - Electronics Technician in Derby, England

I have been working at University of Derby UK full-time for less than a year

Pros

It's challenging but a great place to work

University of Derby UK2019-01-10
  5. "Derby"

I worked at University of Derby UK

Pros

It's a great place to work

Cons

There are no cons here

University of Derby UK2018-01-22

"Admin"

4.0

I have been working at University of Derby UK full-time for less than a year

Pros

Fantastic atmosphere. It's challenging but a great place to work. You feel as if you are making a difference to people's lives. Very supportive managers that want to listen and help to make positive changes in an ever changing environment.

Cons

None that comes to mind

University of Derby UK2017-09-25

"Useful and interesting - but difficult to get on..."

Current Contractor - Senior Administration Assistant in Derby, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at University of Derby UK for more than a year

Pros

Depending which area you worked, this could be a great place or a complete nightmare. You are allowed to apply for secondments to try out a different post for a period that varied from 6 months to a couple of years. There's lots of training available if you need/ask for it and other self-development channels to follow too.

Cons

Politics... Generally way too much of it. I saw a lot of people using who they knew, rather than what they knew, as their chance of making their career develop further and leaving some really capable people behind. Lots of examples of 'Queen Bees' demanding more than their fair share of attention and making life unpleasant or difficult for others - and these people were not senior in any way, shape or form! I attended interviews as practice for me where I knew in advance that the job had been 'promised' to other candidates in advance... In some areas, managers got away with things that they would have been sacked for outright in the private sector...projects managed badly, budgets and timescales shot out of the water and/or lots of time off with 'stress' and they still kept their jobs! Also, there is a terrible split between teaching staff and those who were non-educational - a real 'them and us' mentality that's bad for any organisation...

Continue reading
    University of Derby UK2014-11-28

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Found 7 reviews