University of Reading Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

University of Reading Vice Chancellor Sir David Bell
Sir David Bell

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Short term contract related to the funds of the project, no career opportunity (in 2 reviews)

• Can't think of many, really, other than the obvious issues with academia: trying to find and keep funding (in 2 reviews)

1. "ICMA Centre: an awesome place to work"

Current Employee - Professor in Reading, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Professor in Reading, England (UK)

I have been working at University of Reading part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

An entire building of 20+ applied finance faculty with a famous lead professor (whose textbook most of us use) and incredible data assets based on 108 terminals and the ICMA sponsorship, lead by an individual who started himself as assistant and has truly created a family like atmosphere

Cons

While the Henley Business School is Top 10 in UK and has lots of outreach events and a research active faculty, the university leadership once in a while comes up with me policy ideas that are not necessarily conducive to research intense institutions ...

Advice to Management

ICMA Centre: keep on doing an awesome job / Henley Business School: nudge all disciplines to create world leading output in research and/or impact / UoR: give HBS more autonomy

2. "Worked for 4 years full time"

Former Employee - Research Assistant in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Research Assistant in London, England (UK)

I worked at University of Reading full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Most people are lovely to work with. The environment is good with some great facilities. Green campus which is great if you like walking and/or cycling.

Cons

Parking scheme. University politics - can't avoid this in any UK university. Usual budget restrictions which may affect some aspects of your job. Communication between departments (admin) is almost non existent.

Advice to Management

Need to focus on communication between departments.

3. "Poor management"

I worked at University of Reading part-time

Pros

Beautiful grounds and location
    Interesting meeting students

Cons

Many of the academic and admin management staff are rude and abrupt.

5. "Research Intern"

I have been working at University of Reading full-time

Pros

The University was very supportive and engaged with me during all aspects of my internship. I learnt a huge amount and was given the independence to make decisions and direct the research project.

Cons

I cannot think of any. This was a good summer internship for a student.

6. "PDRA"

I have been working at University of Reading full-time

Pros

flexible hours
    good supportive environment
    world class leaders in research field

Cons

none that would keep me anonymous

7. "University of Reading employment"

Former Employee - Assistant Category Manager in Reading, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Assistant Category Manager in Reading, England (UK)

I worked at University of Reading full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, majority of people are lovely. Great Environment to work in. Excellent facilities.

Cons

Politics. Budgetary restrictions, Parking, Politics

Advice to Management

Need to focus on the staff more.

8. "Managers need to know how to manage and look after their teams"

I worked at University of Reading full-time

Pros

Colleagues are friendly and both campuses are beautiful in their different ways.

Cons

The University has undergone a lot of change over the last couple of years and in some cases this change has not been well managed leading to increased workloads and higher stress levels for staff. Your experience will very much depend on your manager. Unfortunately my last manager while being a very nice person was completely unwilling to recognise that the amount of overtime being done was unsustainable and seriously impacting people's work life balance. When various members of staff raised concerns they did not seem concerned to find a solution or escalate these issues. In fact the relationship between middle and more senior managers seemed to be non-existent and more worryingly there did not appear to be consensus about how the department should be moving forward. As a result staff were left feeling confused and somewhat neglected. Very little was done to either reassure them that things would change or to take real steps to make this change a reality. It didn't seem like the managers really cared about the welfare of their teams and took for granted that they would put in the extra effort and hours.

Advice to Management

Managing people is a skill. When promoting someone who has good technical skills and experience to a managerial position it is critical to offer training or mentoring to ensure they fulfill their potential. If not the impact on the team is going to be negative and there will be problems retaining staff. HR need to be more aware of what is going on in departments and should know what signs to look for that indicate if things are not going well. More should be done to make the values that the University says it holds a reality.

9. "PhD Student"

Current Employee - PhD Graduate Student in Reading, England (UK)
    Current Employee - PhD Graduate Student in Reading, England (UK)

I have been working at University of Reading full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice campus, lots of clubs/societies, gym on-site, easy-ish to get to London (takes 50-60mins, NOT 30mins as advertised).

Cons

Terrible communication between departments, absolutely awful. Poor planning by high ups, no support for PhD students - doctoral research office does minimum possible to help with issues, no coherent progression plan, just generally not well organised and not interested in helping PhD students with career progression

Advice to Management

Increase communication and cohesion between departments, in particular admin staff who have no idea what they're doing. Better catering facilities for staff and postgrads during the summer - absolutely no reason why everything closes early, its not like we dont need to eat. More opportunity for PhD collaboration across departments, everything is very localised

10. "Network Engineer"

I worked at University of Reading full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Sup por tiv e te am

Cons

No thi ng i ca n thi nk

Advice to Management

NA

11. "Fixed term contract"

I worked at University of Reading full-time

Pros

Great staff, friendly and helpful

Cons

Short term contract related to the funds of the project, no career opportunity