Unum Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

Updated 18 October 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Micro-management, unrealistic workloads, non-existant work-life balance (in 8 reviews)

• Upper management is cheap and out of touch (in 12 reviews)

1. "Sales Consultant"

I have been working at Unum full-time

Pros

Great training! Unum really cares about you and your career. They invest a lot with your training to assure you have what you need to excel in the field.

Cons

Compensation program can be a little stronger and should be based on territory type and field office structure.

2. "Disability Benefits Specialist"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Worcester, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Worcester, MA (US)

I have been working at Unum full-time

Pros

The culture and benefits are awesome, probably one of the best companies I have ever worked for.
    Always room for growth, which is nice

Cons

No cons to the company itself, the job can get a little annoying especially when you have an angry person yelling at you about their benefits but it's just part of the job

3. "Unum"

Former Employee - Management
    Former Employee - Management

I worked at Unum full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great company to work for

Cons

Hard work recognized with advancement

Advice to Management

Invest in technology

5. "Happy to work for Unum"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Chattanooga, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Chattanooga, TN (US)

I have been working at Unum full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits, 401K matching, community involvement, job opportunities, flexible work schedules, work at home opportunities, mentor opportunities, employee investment and performance reviews

Cons

Heavy workloads, long hours in certain months of the year, many jobs being outsourced, job eliminations, roles being reclassified from exempt to non exempt

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in employees, keep jobs in US that are being outsourced to India

6. "They are a very good company to work for."

Current Employee - Director in Chattanooga, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Director in Chattanooga, TN (US)

I have been working at Unum full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

They are very community focused. They have a very good benefits package. They are adopting culture of change. They have been very successful with sticking with their growth model.

Cons

The culture is very driven for results which can make it very stressful. Lacks a alternative work arrangement, like working from home.

7. "LMC"

Current Employee - FMLA Specialist in Chattanooga, TN (US)
    Current Employee - FMLA Specialist in Chattanooga, TN (US)

I have been working at Unum full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits, Great PTO, Work/life balance, teamwork

Cons

Office Politics, excessive work load.

Advice to Management

It would be wise for Unum to give employees an option to switch managers due to personality types if it is time for a change.

"Customer service rep"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, ME (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, ME (US)

I worked at Unum full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing food selection in cafeteria.

Cons

Corporate feel, gray cubicle environment. They are nit picky and expect perfection, if you have one less than perfect month in a 6 month period, it holds you back from promotion. Terrible training the month this happened to me and my 5 months before and 5 months after of perfection didn't count. Must show leadership in their ridiculous manner for promotion so creating job aids and excel spreadsheets equals nothing. You must email your group tips and tricks even though most of them have seniority over you and so you are sharing nothing new. If you slack for one week after having the best ACW on your team, or close to the highest every single month for over a year, they will ask you to resign, you will never be able to leave the call center, and your future with the company will be gone. Terrible organization, you attempt to make things better for them with what little extra time you may have, and get nothing in return for your efforts.

Advice to Management

Have a soul. I understand insurance is evil and what Unum does is sinful, so this is unlikely to happen. It takes a toll when you speak with 75 yr olds who have been paying hundreds for life insurance for far longer than what the life insurance is now worth. I wish everyone would drop your term life and stop relying on a company that treats people like numbers. All about the bottom line with you. I wish I hadn't made any extra efforts to help such a terrible company. I went above and beyond for your company for you to turn petty for one stupid week. I am only bitter because I keep receiving letters which set me off. Also I closed an account for your company to re-open it. I am not an employee anymore and wish you would leave me alone so I can move on. Quit terrorizing me. I wish I had never worked for your company and so glad I am no longer there. Worst pay to work ratio I've ever had in my life. Benefits were not that great, the schedule changes quarterly were ridiculous. Really feel sorry for people who haven't had a job with a truly good company for comparison. What you offer is a headache and a half.

9. "It's been great so far"

Current Employee - Technical Support in Chattanooga, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Technical Support in Chattanooga, TN (US)

I have been working at Unum full-time (More than a year)

Pros

401k Match, PTO (you start with 20 days a year and 3 floating holidays), Relaxed Environment

Cons

Politics, Leadership encourages people to take initiative, then shuts them down later.

10. "Contact Center is a great place to work!"

I have been working at Unum full-time

Pros

Great culture, focus on employee development & I feel like I'm making a difference for customers. Management is supportive of my goals and makes an effort to help with my growth. I see long term career potential here. Work from home program is also a plus.

Cons

Variable schedule based on performance

11. "Not fun anymore"

I have been working at Unum full-time

Pros

Benefits are strong and PTO is very fair

Cons

Excessive work load, low morale

Advice to Management

Distribute work load better