Urban Outfitters Reviews

Updated Jul 27, 2021

Found 3,668 of over 3,798 reviews

3.7
Urban Outfitters CEO Sheila Harrington (no image)
Sheila Harrington
Pros
  • "Great discount, amazing colleagues, understanding about mental health(in 343 reviews)

• "Employee discount is good (40% off Urban Brands, 25% off home/lifestyle(in 251 reviews)

• Cons
  • "None I can think of, except standing for long hours but that's the case with most retail jobs(in 165 reviews)

• "Staff receive minimum wage not reflective of living requirements(in 91 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0

Great company

Nov 12, 2020 - Department Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

Team culture and great incentives

Cons

Literally always so busy but that's q good thing!

2. 4.0

Sales Associate

Apr 27, 2018 - Sales Associate in Guildford, Victoria, Victoria
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great atmosphere, music, people and a generous employee discount.

Cons

Occasional long hours, over night work, calls on your days off.

3. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

I Got Paid To Fold Clothes

Jul 14, 2021 - Sales Associate in Emeryville, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

You get to come as you are, which I love. Dressing in a uniform has never been something that I wanted to do. I got to flex my creative/style muscle by constantly putting new fits together that would've just been sitting in my closet collecting dust with the tags still on them. Speaking of clothes the discounts by far were what kept me working aside from the homies I made working at the company. A standard 40% off clothes and then UO Brand Clothing items (3) 60% a month was amazing. I can't speak for every store however, my store was pretty dope, I got to meet some amazing people and have grown as a person and not only as an employee within the company. All of my managers where pretty chill with me. I came in did what I was told and clocked out.

Cons

If theft is something that irks you, please leave your emotions outside the store, this was something that irked my soul to its core, however I had o realize that there was nothing I could do. I've also had co-workers be physically assaulted by customers ( punched in the face) and there's nothing that was done. I've also had other sales associates talk to me about feeling like they've received unfair and racial treatment from managers.

4. 3.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Extremely boring

Jul 10, 2021 - Retail Sales Associate in Schaumburg, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Employee discounts Ability to meet cool people

Cons

This position was genuinely mind numbing for me. I mean that in the way that it was an extremely boring job with very little mental stimulation. Unless I was put on the register, which was quite rare, I would spend hours and hours standing walking around the store with nothing to do. They had a few main people they would put on registers for their every shift, while everybody else was on the sales floor bored to death. When the standards of clothing were absolutely perfect and there was nothing left to fix, there was nothing to do. They tell you "just keep working on standards" which is so hard to do with everything looks perfect. So Id walk around alone in silence for hours on end with no mental stimulation. We would get in trouble for talking to other coworkers, even when the store was empty. So with so little social contact, and nothing to do for hours, I was miserable. There were many other issues I had with working here and issues with managers not being the nicest, but honestly what I mentioned was the worst part.

Continue reading
    5. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

na

Jul 24, 2021 - Assistant Manager in Dedham, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

this discount is really good. 40 percent of everything and 60 percent a month. also the mix of employees.

Cons

favoritism can really be the worse enemy at the job. i can’t really say that i have had a huge negative experience with the job though.

6. 4.0
      Former Employee

Good

Jul 25, 2021 - Floor Model
      Business Outlook

Pros

It’s nice for people to work there because it’s nice and super nice as well jesus how long does this has to be

Cons

That it was so far away that I couldn’t actually work there and I’m writing this so I could bypass this

7. 4.0

Friendly staff, hard work

Jul 26, 2021 - Department Manager in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

- nice staff - good for progression

Cons

- hard work - alot of work

8. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Assistant Manager

Jul 24, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good pay Fun team Benefits Vacation and sick time Room for growth

Cons

Higher management doesn’t seem to care all that much about in-store employees

9. 2.0

Toxic Environment

Jul 6, 2021 - Designer in Philadelphia, PA
      Business Outlook

Pros

The campus itself is awesome. Many of the assistants and mid level designers & buyers are super hard working, good people and v talented.

Cons

Unfortunately many of the upper level staff eg directors, managers, don't know what they're doing. The structure and ways of working changes on a monthly basis. To get ahead you must have a narcissistic personality. They hire and fire on a regular basis and there is no HR, so there is no one to go to if you have any issues. I enjoyed my time there for the first few months and then quickly realized just how toxic it was. Pretty much scarred for life after my experience there.

Continue reading
      2 people found this review helpful
    10. 5.0

Fun place to work

Jul 20, 2021 - Womens Sales Associate in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

I worked there as a freshman in college and it was an amazing place to work.

Cons

Honestly nothing. It is a great first retail job.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 3,668 Reviews