VMware Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

4.2
VMware CEO Pat Gelsinger
Pat Gelsinger
2,284 Ratings
  1. "Smart people, great brand, competitive culture and political environment"

I worked at VMware full-time

Pros

Market leader, smart people, strong brand

Cons

Very internally competitive and political. Watch your back!

Advice to Management

Don't hire great people then make them redundant 12 months later!

VMware2014-03-27
  2. "Fantastic organisation"

Current Employee - Technical Account Manager

I have been working at VMware full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

work/life balance technology strong management team competitive salary excellent benefits

Cons

small regional offices have limited opportunity for growth constant need to keep up with new technology many new purchases over the years that are not fully integrated

Advice to Management

Constant innovation is required to compete Do not be afraid of the competition we can beat them at anythingQuality Quality marketing is very important to the business worldwide

VMware2013-09-09
  3. "Great technology company"

I have been working at VMware full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great benefits, great people and culture

Cons

Communication to staff needs improvement

Advice to Management

Conduct frequest staff surveys

VMware2013-04-27

"Great opportunities - tough times ahead though"

Current Employee - Operations
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at VMware full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I've been here a while - have seen through multiple CEOs and the company has grown rapidly with many opportunities. Product sells itself and a fairly fun environment (in the beginning) - lots of new whitespace to attack and have an opportunity to define the cloud computing space.

Cons

Lost a lot of the innovation and have been too complacent regarding competitors. Workplace is becoming more political and egos are getting in the way of strategy and innovation. Career opportunities are not that great either for the old timers

Advice to Management

Get rid of middle management, conduct a full review of the company

VMware2013-01-31

"India Finance is pathetic due to many bad managers, overall company is great to work for in other areas and regions."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney

I have been working at VMware full-time for more than a year

Pros

Company is market leader in the best IT sector of today, continuously adapts to competition with acquisitions and innovation. Company is growing very quickly. Good working environment, best compensation.

Cons

Indian management especially in finance is very bad, they would go out of their way to harm employees in case you are not in their good books.

Advice to Management

Having a stronger HR department with power to implement the policies on paper would be great for employees.

VMware2013-01-19

"Short term focus, long term issues"

in Sydney
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at VMware

Pros

Nice co-workers, great products, innovative and leading in the business, impressive focus on R & D, decent base salary packages.

Cons

Middle management only seem interested in the next quarter or the days left of it. No focus on longer term processes and tools. Based on the previous two points, there is no or little consistency for long term business planning. Inconsistency regarding business practices.

Advice to Management

Focus on the processes and long term when it comes to business, not only product development. Be clearer about the company culture and way forward.

VMware2009-12-01
  7. "VMware - Still Innovating - the rest are so far off they will never catch up!"

Solutions Architect in Melbourne

I have been working at VMware

Pros

The best Product on the market - by far!! They take care of you - if you put in the effort - it's a two way street.

Cons

We are the market leader (and rightly so) so everybody is trying to bring us down (unsuccessfully I might add...)

Advice to Management

Keep on Innovating and give us the opportunity to do so also.

VMware2008-11-22

"VMware is probably the best company I've ever worked for."

Senior Systems Engineer  in Sydney

I have been working at VMware

Pros

Great products, a belief in doing the right thing for our customers, a passion about our impact on IT and the planet and a great team to make it all happen.

Cons

The pace of change, demanding the best of you everyday, a growing company now with shareholder responsibilities is seeing an increase in red tape and focus on costs, to the detriment of innovation and delivery.

Advice to Management

Don't loose sight of what we were capable of pre-IPO, we are successful not only because of great products, but mainly by the way we executed our business. Changing that significantly by constraining how we execute may breed resentment and loss of job satisfaction.

VMware2008-06-19

"Great place to work that values quality of life and family"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at VMware full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

VMware is a big company but in many ways had a startup vibe. That was great because the resources and infrastructure of a big company were there, but it gave most people I worked with freedom to work on many projects, influence, move around, and contribute in many ways. Plus, many things moved faster than they might at other companies of the same size. Perks were really great including bonuses, events on the campus,... opportunities, etc.

Cons

The biggest con is the annual layoff. During most of the years I was there, we were growing like crazy, beating expectations, gaining in stock price, etc. It was always positive and upward. However, every single January, it was known that there would be a round of layoffs, even when all numbers were looking great as they almost always were. Management called it restructuring. But, over the years, some really good... people were let go for no apparent reason. Then to add insult to injury, a week or two later, there would be a company quarterly meeting discussing how VMware was doing so well and is still hiring, but they had to make some changes. It always felt dishonest and the sympathy for those let go came across as disingenuous.

Advice to Management

January was always a nerve racking month and it completely destroyed any sense of loyalty to the company. I know a few people that completely changed their perception of VMware after a colleague of theirs was let go with no apparent rhyme or reason. Many people left shortly after as a result of losing loyalty to the company or for just being stressed out about themselves getting cut the next year.

VMware2019-06-24

"Excited!"

Current Employee - UI/User Experience Designer in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at VMware full-time for less than a year

Pros

My team is composed of very smart and very kind people who work well together. We get stuff done! I've only been here a few months, but they are very understanding of my career change and are helping me learn the ropes and the company as time goes by (even though they were very busy when I first started with many things going on, so I appreciate their help!). I get to work from home as much as I want and have... yet to take any PTO, but the unlimited PTO option is pretty cool and I look forward to utilizing that in the future when I need to. Orientation was AWESOME, and I learned so many soft skills I didn't even realize I was lacking. This company really seems to care about culture and treating employees with respect. I look forward to using the skills they taught me to help the company in keeping to their high standards. It seems from other reviews that managers can make or break your time here. So far my managers and teammates have been nothing less than stellar and just so cool, so I feel my time here will continue to be a 5 star rating. I'm excited to keep learning and honing my skills and giving the best work possible. The interview process for my position was grueling but honestly I feel in hindsight it was a pro. It really helped to encourage me that my skills were up to par with what they were looking for.

Cons

Orientation didn't happen until 3 months after I was hired. Felt very lost as to who and what VMware was exactly, and still am not entirely sure what the different softwares I'm working on are about (I don't come from a tech background). I've been told a few times but there's so many different ones, and new features constantly being added, and they can sound so complicated that it's hard to keep it all straight.... I'm sure with time this will get easier though.

Advice to Management

I feel there could definitely be a better on-boarding process for newbies. Maybe a packet that goes over everything more in depth that's related to that specific role? Orientation should probably be within the first month of being hired to help us understand the company values and our place in it better.

VMware2019-09-11