Vanguard Client Relationship Specialist Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

Updated 19 Sep 2019

2.7
Vanguard CEO Tim Buckley
Tim Buckley

"Great for those who like to be comfortable"

Former Employee - Client Relationship Specialist in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Vanguard full-time for more than a year

Pros

Benefits are good as far as health insurance and 401k match. They will pay for you to study and receive your series 7 and SIE in the first three months.

Cons

MAKE NO MISTAKE this is a PHONE ROLE. If you can see yourself taking 60 calls a day talking to clients about changing passwords or how to get an account then great this is the job for you! Often times Vanguard causes problems by changing things without letting their clients know in a timely matter. So clients call in frustrated and yell at you. Realistically expect to be in a phone role for three years, then maybe... get into a management position. Oh and by the way, don't expect to be hired into a management role by being the most qualified individual. Many people leave at the 6 month mark. Turnover rate is really high. Their used to be an Internal Financial Advisory Program available to those looking to go that route. Now it is only available to those hired in from the outside. Pay is extremely low, and you only work 37.5 hrs a week. Great for some but I would rather work more and be compensated higher

Advice to Management

Create more opportunities for internal promotions and bring back financial advisory programs.

Vanguard2019-09-19
  2. "Great place to start"

Current Employee - Client Relationship Specialist in Malvern, PA

I have been working at Vanguard full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great training program, paid study time for licenses, opportunities to explore other areas of work

Cons

Micro-management, difficult to progress

Vanguard2019-08-28
  3. "Client Relationship specialist"

Current Employee - Client Relationship Specialist in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Vanguard full-time for less than a year

Pros

People you work with are great and not a stressful job

Cons

Call center environment, pay could be better

Vanguard2019-08-21

"Keep Your Expectations Low"

Former Employee - Client Relationship Specialist

I worked at Vanguard full-time for more than a year

Pros

Very nice office environment to work in.

Cons

Don't ever expect to buy a house on your Vanguard salary

Advice to Management

Move the offices to Allentown where people can afford to live on what you pay.

Vanguard2019-08-09

"Vanguard Review"

Current Employee - Client Relationship Specialist

I have been working at Vanguard full-time

Pros

Caring managers, beautiful campus, strong mission statement

Cons

Too bureaucratic and structured, little room for growth (takes a long time), tough to move to different sides of the business

Vanguard2019-05-19
  6. "Great People, Great Culture"

Former Employee - Client Relationship Specialist in Malvern, PA

I worked at Vanguard full-time for less than a year

Pros

The people you work with are awesome. The culture at Vanguard supports inclusion and teamwork. Everyone wants you to succeed and will help you get to your goals. There are many opportunities to grow and learn about different aspects of the business

Cons

Working in a call center setting can get a bit monotonous and sometimes clients can be difficult to deal with

Vanguard2019-05-21

"The True Redpill: Vanguard, the Client Relationship Specialist role, and The Culture"

Former Employee - Client Relationship Specialist in Malvern, PA

I worked at Vanguard full-time for more than a year

Pros

I have made what I hope to be lifelong friends during my time with Vanguard. The number one perk of this job is the people you will struggle alongside. Your comrades, who know exactly how you're feeling, who are in the same pit that you're in. They made it in some way worth it. You get nifty benefits but let's be honest, you can get them anywhere. 401(k) is nice, but...who cares about that if your life is misery? I... learned about how the financial world in all of its greed functions, and learned through agonizing experience how not to behave or think in a work environment. I also learned what my limits are, patience wise, and that some things just aren't worth it. Let's note another thing here: Vanguard isn't the worst place place to work IF YOU'RE NOT ON THE PHONES. God help you getting that new role. Some make it. Most, and this is true, don't last that long. Honestly.

Cons

I am going to be completely honest about everything I observed during my time with Vanguard. First, we should talk about the role itself. I'll be blunt: DO NOT TAKE THE JOB. SERIOUSLY. DON'T DO IT. But why, you ask? Let me explain. Here's your day, let's say a 8:00 AM-4:30 PM shift on the phones in Foundational Client Services, the new name they gave to Personal Investor. You walk in the door to your building,... and take the elevator to your floor. When the elevator door opens, a short hallway leads to a massive bay where hundreds of your comrades are preparing for the same long day that you've been sweating since you went to bed last night. It's not even Monday. You know exactly what you're in store for. You've been doing the job far too long, and are well equipped to do it, but you're still despondent. You get to your cubicle, throw your stuff down, take a deep breath, and prepare. Once 8:00 hits, you're on a call. When that call ends, you get another call. There will be no downtime, unless you're just avoiding calls, which will not go well for you. Once you've put an hour or two behind you, you take a break, which is notated by you clicking a button on your computer. This button helps leadership track your status. You are being watched, be sure of that. You have planned your breaks for months as you hope to break the day into manageable chunks so you don't go insane on the spot. A few more hours pass, and it's lunch time. That hour passes quickly, and it's back to it. You have one of your TWICE-WEEKLY meetings with your team leader about your performance this afternoon. You are not congratulated on putting up with this brand of garbage, nor should you be. Instead, your deficiencies are discussed and any "wins" you might have had are relegated to a conciliatory "good job." The meeting ends with nothing of any import occurring, and you just feel more drained, derailed, and hollow. Back to the phones. You end up leaving at 5:30, instead of 4:30, because a client went ballistic when a form that they filled out was completed incorrectly. By the client. This was the third client TODAY that you were on the phone with for more than 30 minutes. It's the second who was insane with anger. Your metrics are shot for the day, but you don't even care. You haven't cared for months about your metrics. Because you just want to go home. Repeat the above every business day for two years. This one day might be a bad one. There are days where your clients are fine, no one screams at you, and maybe your meeting wasn't terrible. However, the reality is that you're still working for Vanguard, doing this awful phone job, and all the signs are telling you that you're stuck. At least that's how it was for me. I won't get too detailed for obvious reasons, but I made mistakes at Vanguard. Some were actually kind of serious. These were also entirely my fault. I'm mentioning this as a warning: if you do take this job out of desperation or whatever, keep your nose clean. Don't take PTO too often (though you need to so you don't snap). Your boss will start asking you if you plan to quit. Don't take your break at the end of the day, or a team leader looking for a gold-star will report you to their betters and you will be disallowed from posting to a new role for a period of at least 60 days (this is a death sentence). These infractions will also be on your record forever, so anyone looking to hire you can see them, and draw their own conclusions, unless you team leader is actually competent, where you can at least badger them into calling and advocating on your behalf. Don't count on that though. There is nothing genuine about Vanguard. Its purported "culture" is one of people reporting on each other for good-boy-points. Its culture is just a facade, an act designed to lull you into complacency while they suck your soul dry and pay you WELL BELOW industry average. Partnership is a hostage act and a joke, just read the other reviews. Vanguard's culture could not be more forced, artificial, and nauseating. I was once chastised for not having joined any of the Crew groups at the company. I'm not interested in political ideology or activism in the workplace, I just want to do my job and be rewarded for hard work. I'm not there to make waves or make a statement. I just want to not be miserable. Most of my peers often remarked that we had wished that we had failed the Series 7 exam, because then we would have been free from this. Upper management knows there are problems. They don't know what to do. They're trying to change to culture, but shockingly, they're mishandling it, like they do with most things. Instead they're making it more oppressive and degrading. I think the saddest thing is that college grads start there and think Vanguard is how work and jobs function. John Bogle once called Vanguard "too big for its britches." He was right. STAY. AWAY. FROM. THIS. COMPANY.

Advice to Management

My contempt for the organizational failures of Vanguard cannot be measured. Your new CEO doesn't care about our values, he cares about growth. Stop pretending to care about crew and start doing it for real. New Ways of Working and #LEAN have potential, but you're squandering it on absolutely JUVENILE initiatives like daily huddles where we have to show our thumb then do a pep-chant? And then get publicly shamed... for not doing as well as we should have. Keep the warm feelings to yourself and treat me like an adult. It's INSULTING.

Vanguard2019-05-02

"Great Learning Experience but Draining"

Former Employee - Client Relationship Specialist in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Vanguard full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Great work/life balance. I never took work home with me. 9:00am-5:30 M-F with optional OT opportunities. - I made a lot of friends that were in the same situation as me (recent grads, new to Charlotte) - Solid training for Series 7 & Series 63. - Great opportunity to learn the ins and outs of personal finance. - Vanguard’s mission is very respectable. While the service is limited, it truly is the... cheapest way to invest. Even after leaving the company, I will be a lifelong client of Vanguard.

Cons

I write this after 6 months of moving on to another company. I worked at Vanguard for almost 2 years. I’ll agree with a lot of the other reviews that the job description did not match the actual role. This job is a call center. That is all that you will be doing in the entry level role. Management is supportive and for the most part they understand the pains of this role. But they are also forced to micromanage.... Some calls with clients can feel rewarding, but overall most days were very draining. It is very monotonous having the same conversations over and over again about technical issues. By the time I had experience I began to enjoy speaking with angry clients because at least that offered some sort of a challenge to be resolved. The pay is well below industry standards. This position has really become a farm system for other financial companies in the area. You get your licenses and experience and you get out. There are very limited opportunities for growth, specifically in Charlotte.

Advice to Management

Be more transperant in the hiring process. Provide more opportunities in Charlotte for crew members that are interested in finance but do not want to be an advisor.

Vanguard2019-04-08

"Client Facing"

Current Employee - Client Relationship Specialist

I have been working at Vanguard full-time

Pros

Licenses and training is good

Cons

The job is extremely painful

Vanguard2019-03-27

"Meh"

Former Employee - Client Relationship Specialist
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Vanguard full-time for less than a year

Pros

That aren't really any because the grind your life away for not much chance at a career advancement.

Cons

Make it know its a call center job.

Advice to Management

Be more invested in the lower tiered workers, you can easily guess, why there is a high churning rate.

Vanguard2019-02-05