Vanguard Employee Reviews about "entry level"

Updated 5 May 2020

3.2
Vanguard CEO Tim Buckley
Tim Buckley
Pros
Cons
  • "call center, hard to find time for self development(in 212 reviews)

• "I think part of the problem is they simply do not care because they see it as entry level anwyay(in 73 reviews)

Reviews about "entry level"

Return to all Reviews

"Less than half of my hire class stayed a year"

Current Employee - Investment Professional in Malvern, PA
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Vanguard full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great name, great benefits, great bonuses, they take care of you.

Cons

There's a development shift going on so no one knows exactly what their job is and people who don't deserve it are now managers. There is gossip between managers about the leads of departments. It's not good when an entry level can hear that on the directors got their job from favoritism. If you don't drink the koolaid, you're out one way or another so just act like they want.

Vanguard2020-05-05

"Good Entry Level Position BUT be realistic about role (It is a call center)"

Current Employee - Client Relationship Associate in Malvern, PA

I have been working at Vanguard full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Pay/assist new hires with Licensing (SIE, Series 7 & 63) -Great job security (Historically have never laid off employees) -Great reputation (VG goes a long way on on a resume/interviews) -Good experience for recent college grads -Genuinely great team environment. -Most Large Brokerage firms require new hires to cold call/make sales. This role does not require you to recruit friends/family to invest there money with VG

Cons

-It is important to be realistic about this role. Vanguard is a call center. During tax season you may take 50-80 calls per day. When there are high call volumes you will be taking back-to-back-to-back calls all day with no time in between.Very high pressure environment. -You are essential thrown to the wolves. After you are licensed you start working within a few days with little/no training. The first month will be especially difficult and a lot of people will quit. -Client interactions are not always pleasant. -Most common calls involve assisting clients with rejected paperwork, password resets, and security codes. (Maybe 30% of your calls will actually be finance related) -Managers are not always helpful. Your superiors usually come from different departments and can’t empathize with the role or really understand day-to-day operations. It is hard to develop in a role when your direct supervisors are also not familiar with the role. -43k per year to start (Well below industry avg.) -Everything is MEASURED! break, lunch, average call time, EVERYTHING. It adds an extra layer of stress to the job. If you don’t meet your required metrics you will not be promoted. -Again, be realistic about this job. it is an entry level role. You will probably be in RIG, a phone based role, for your first 3 years at VG. if you can suck it up and get passed it you will have plenty of other job opportunities off the phones.

Vanguard2020-04-23
  3. "Great company"

Former Employee - Senior relationship consultant in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Vanguard full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great benefits, 37.5 hour work week

Cons

Most entry level positions are simply call center roles and they don't advertise that

Vanguard2020-05-04

"Do not accept a role here!"

Former Employee - BDG/Onboarding in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Vanguard full-time for less than a year

Pros

co-workers can be great, paid training (this is going away so ....), health insurance. that's about it.

Cons

Management/leadership is abysmal at BEST. There is so much "Kool-aid" at this company. If you don't go along with their narrative you won't progress to the limited opportunities they have. I think part of the problem is they simply do not care because they see it as entry level anwyay. Most employees in Retail Investor Group only will stay 1 year and put their 2 weeks in ASAP to avoid giving back the sign on bonus! They force people to stay in their jobs 1 year min before they can apply out to other roles and for me they forced me into a role I didn't want and I had no choice but to accept it. I was given no choice but to move into a new position. Not to mention I was told only 1 week before that new role would start. I was completely lied to in my interview about bonuses I could expect. You have little to NO say in your schedule (so be ready to work whatever the tenor team doesn't pick), PTO days (they have several days where they won't let you take it ex: ALL holidays are impossible to get), the pay is very low compared to other firms. This is a CALL CENTER!! Be prepared to take calls back to back with only 30 min per day to stop the calls while on "break". They force 30 min lunches with no notice. (so if you have a doctor's appointment or lunch plans good luck!). They will one day offer OT w/ a bonus incentive and then the next take it away. For example, the leaders offered employees who did 6-12 hours OT extra money. On the second week when many were VERY close to hitting goal they took it away! If you think you will be valued, you won't. You are a number for them. Someone to get abused by clients all day. There is such little training you go into most calls completely blind and just do your best to get by. It's frustrating because most things are out of your control. Business partners HAVE NO IDEA what your job is. There is no respect between the different departments and no consequences for employees who talk to other employees poorly (even when its on a recorded line). Please do not take this job. Just take the extra time to keep searching for a company that will value and respect you! I promise you 1 month into this job you will be regretful as I was. The list of cons continues but this sums up the bulk of why it was miserable for me.

Vanguard2020-04-13

"Now a global company"

Former Employee - Communications

I worked at Vanguard full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Loyal clients, strong brand, good training, well positioned for the future. Good opportunities for younger workers willing to start at entry-level positions.

Cons

The company has grown so much that the "family feeling" is largely gone. Morale isn't as high as it was.

Vanguard2019-12-12

"Ok"

Former Employee - Client Service Associate in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Vanguard full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good benefits, good entry-level job, good tutoring sessions

Cons

Some training was unorganized and many failed the series 7 as a result

Vanguard2019-11-11

"Dishonest"

Former Employee - Developer - I in Malvern, PA
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Vanguard full-time for less than a year

Pros

The only positive I could think of was their benefits, because even the salary/bonus was mediocre.

Cons

Dishonest hiring practices. Applied and interviewed for an entry level full stack Java/Angular position, was assigned to a team using a point and click/visual programming tool called "Blue Prism." I moved over 800 miles just to be hoodwinked.

Vanguard2019-10-19

"Sees all crew as disposable"

Former Employee - Program Manager

I worked at Vanguard full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Work/life balance as you "climb the ladder," health insurance, 401k, VTO day, the culture that the entry-level crew see

Cons

Vanguard portrays a picture-perfect client first company but does not eat their own cooking. Once you hit a certain level within the company, you see what really happens behind closed doors. Senior leadership often does not get along or buy-in to large initiatives, nor do they have the knowledge needed to make big decisions. The company disposes of top-talent quickly, as they see their crew as a number knowing that so many others will fill their spots.

Vanguard2019-06-11

"Great Learning Experience but Draining"

2.0
    Former Employee - Client Relationship Specialist in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Vanguard full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Great work/life balance. I never took work home with me. 9:00am-5:30 M-F with optional OT opportunities. - I made a lot of friends that were in the same situation as me (recent grads, new to Charlotte) - Solid training for Series 7 & Series 63. - Great opportunity to learn the ins and outs of personal finance. - Vanguard’s mission is very respectable. While the service is limited, it truly is the cheapest way to invest. Even after leaving the company, I will be a lifelong client of Vanguard.

Cons

I write this after 6 months of moving on to another company. I worked at Vanguard for almost 2 years. I’ll agree with a lot of the other reviews that the job description did not match the actual role. This job is a call center. That is all that you will be doing in the entry level role. Management is supportive and for the most part they understand the pains of this role. But they are also forced to micromanage. Some calls with clients can feel rewarding, but overall most days were very draining. It is very monotonous having the same conversations over and over again about technical issues. By the time I had experience I began to enjoy speaking with angry clients because at least that offered some sort of a challenge to be resolved. The pay is well below industry standards. This position has really become a farm system for other financial companies in the area. You get your licenses and experience and you get out. There are very limited opportunities for growth, specifically in Charlotte.

Vanguard2019-04-08

"Good Entry Level Job"

Former Freelancer - Client Associate - Retail Services in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Vanguard for more than a year

Pros

This job was a good entry level job for recent college graduates with minimal financial services training wanting to get into retail financial services. Formal training opportunities (Series 7, 63 etc) were made available to those who were serious about wanting to move up the career ladder within the organization

Cons

Pay was low $16 an hour and you could only move from the group after having spent 12 months there

Vanguard2019-04-10