Vend Reviews

Updated 3 Jul 2020

3.8
Vend Interim CEO Ana Wight (no image)
Ana Wight
1 Rating
Pros
  • "Start up perks, cute dogs, free snacks(in 22 reviews)

• "The company is generally speaking very flexible, you can work flexible hours, work remotely and also work from home from time to time(in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • "Fast paced is a pro and a con depending on if you can keep up(in 6 reviews)

• "No real path to career development (But that is being fixed and changes are already noticeable)(in 6 reviews)

1. "If you get the opportunity to work at Vend - DO IT!"

Former Employee - Business Development Executive in Melbourne

I worked at Vend full-time

Pros

My time at Vend reasonably short, but in that time it was immediately clear to me what the three main things were that made it such an awesome place to work. 1 - The people. It is not common you find a workplace that makes you feel like you are spending time with your family regardless of if you're at home or at work. The people of Vend have managed to cultivate an environment where people feel cared for, thought of when business decisions are made and included in on most of those decisions. From upper management down, everyone is approachable, everyone is cared for and most importantly, everyone can have a laugh with each other. The Melbourne office is a hive of activity and when you throw in the collaboration of each of the other offices, that is what made Vend an awesome place to be. 2 - The product. Coming from a retail background myself, I knew what the industry need from tools for their business to run smoothly and Vend was so far ahead of what I expected when I first heard about them. The software is evolving constantly to always improve. Customers will let businesses know what they would like looked at, but how often does a business actually listen and give that customer what they are asking for? Vend does exactly that. I was satisfying to me knowing that I worked for a company that cared about the customer as much as I did. Being in a sales based role, the fact Vend was so innovative and developed with such pace made the sales process really easy. 3 - The founder. The founder of Vend, Vaughan Furgusson, was what sparked my first interest in Vend when I looked at the job. Soon after commencing my role I found him to genuinely inspiring. He is one of the main driving forces for technological integration within retail world. He is definitely one of the key reasons Vend has cultivated and environment where people care about retailers and the industry as a whole so much. He is so entrepreneurially minded in the way he interacts with both the employees of Vend and its customers. He doesn't make you feel like you HAVE to do your best work, he makes you feel like you WANT to.

Cons

Vend was a pretty awesome place to work. In my duration there, I struggled to find anything seriously negative.

May 13, 2020P&C Consultant

Hi there, Thanks for taking the time to provide such an in depth and positive review. Our product and our people are extremely important to us and it is really encouraging to hear that you experienced this during your time with Vend. I love your comment around how our Founder Vaughan inspired you to want to do your best work at Vend - we reckon he is pretty great too! Thanks again Elissa (People Experience Partner)

2. "Great product, great culture and difficult times"

4.0
    Former Employee - BDE in Melbourne

I worked at Vend full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Great team culture - Product is truly a market leader - Ambitious and adaptive company - Office perks (pool, table tennis, coffee) - They invest in their staff

Cons

- Sometimes it felt like management wasn't aligned on goals - A few leaders don't know how to use technology very well.

May 13, 2020P&C Consultant

Hi there, Thanks for taking the time to write a review and are always interested in what Venders have to say - past and present. It's great to hear that you had such a positive experience. Thank you for your feedback around management in respect to goals. The current situation has meant that our Executive Team and our Leaders have had to quickly pivot and not everything we had planned will go ahead, but we see massive opportunity in the coming months. Thanks again Elissa (People Experience Partner)

"If you like feeling like you’ll be fired at any minute then join"

1.0
    Account Executive in South Melbourne

I worked at Vend

Pros

Dogs, Friday drinks, ok pay

Cons

Favouritism is rife, some people do nothing and cruise along whilst others work hard and get no recognition. Catty environment with a lot of gossip and bullying. Working in Melbourne is like being in high school. There is the ‘in’ crowd and the ‘out’ crowd. They will find a way to get rid of you if you don’t fit in to their childish ‘culture’. Overhire then fire on mass. Something very fishy going on in this office, ask too many questions and you’re out. Run by petty, lazy, arrogant leaders. It’s ok as a transition job but don’t bother if you want an actual career.

May 13, 2020P&C Consultant

Hi there, Thanks for taking the time to provide a review. I’m sorry to hear that this was your experience. Our Culture at Vend is extremely important to us and we invest a lot of time and focus in ensuring we make everyone feel included and respected and we are continuing to work on this. We don’t believe that your description around overhire then mass fire is an accurate representation of the situation we have just been through. The word ‘fire’ implies folks were doing a bad job, and they weren’t. Our changes were in response to the one of the biggest economic meltdowns in history and we are impacted just like everyone else. Through this process, we have tried to do our very best by our people and will continue to do so. All the best Elissa (People Experience Partner)

"Amazing people"

I worked at Vend full-time

Pros

Lots of feedback and very warm and welcoming culture. Vend will foster you and it has a great culture of breaking down the barriers between departments if you put your time in.

Cons

Steep learning curve, for product and the people.

March 4, 2020People Experience Partner

Hey there, We think we've got a pretty great welcoming culture too. There's certainly a lot to learn at Vend, and we foster a strong learning culture to both enable new starters and develop existing employees to really thrive. Thank you for your review. Best Heather (People Experience Partner)

"This is definitely a lifestyle job"

2.0
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Vend full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Great work / life balance, a lot of flexibility. - Pool table and table tennis make the day worth it - Some really friendly people in the business, with a great social life to go with it. - Friday drinks we're always a blast

Cons

- Focus on extremely fast-paced growth in terms of recruitment, means that the lead spread is very thin. - Get on the wrong-side of management and regardless of performance you will not make probation. - Not much room for career growth. - Salary is well below industry standard in comparison to other SaaS companies in similar industries. - Even though there were some friendly people in the business, there was also people who were quite two-faced which you need to be wary of. - Work ethic isn't rewarded, Where as culture is. - Vend sells PoS specifically to the retail industry, The retail industry is definitely on the way out, so don't expect a massive volume of leads. - Expect a lot of SJWs in the office to force there opinions on you.

November 6, 2018People & Culture Consultant

Hey there, Thanks for taking the time to leave a review. It is great to hear about the things you enjoy at Vend. We also appreciate you outlining things you think we could be doing better. Your concerns raised will help us to work on creating a better working environment for our current Vender’s and for the future. We strongly encourage you to discuss your concerns directly with either myself or a member of your P&C team who would be more than happy to speak in more detail around your particular comments and help resolve how you are feeling. We are always open to feedback and resolving any issues in the workplace. Best Monika People Experience Partner

"Only positive over here!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Melbourne

I have been working at Vend full-time for less than a year

Pros

Im definitely glad I did not read these negative reviews prior to working at Vend as working here has been completely opposite! Friends are often commenting on how great my work is and the various opportunities I have been presented with while working here. This company is fun to work with, inclusive and flexible towards personal needs. Office location is incredible and office environment is both comfortable to be in (Vend always supplying snacks and drinks) and surrounded with good people. In terms of workload, I am constantly encouraged to have transparent chats with management staff, if workload is too heavy or too light and how I am managing it. I absolutely love working here, and wouldn't have it any other way!

Cons

Nothing to report on over here!

May 8, 2018People & Culture Consultant

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We love hearing about your experiences and are so glad to read you are enjoying Vend!

"If you like a challenge and are keen to join a growing company with an ambitious mission, then Vend might be for you."

4.0
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Melbourne

I have been working at Vend full-time for more than a year

Pros

Enjoy a genuine work-life balance and work with down to earth people every day. Plus, you have access to all the tools to get your work done effectively. Sure, there are some negative reviews on here about Vend, but these are the exception, not the norm. I can honestly say that it’s a great place to work if you're up for a challenge.

Cons

Vend is growing and with that comes changes and new processes. If you're adverse to change or working in a fast-paced environment, then Vend might not be for you.

"Account Executive"

5.0

I have been working at Vend full-time

Pros

- Great culture, very inclusive people to work and socialise with during and after work. - Great offices - Good support from leaders for new starters as well as a good onboarding process.

Cons

- Career progression seems to be a sticking point, but with a growing company, there will be opportunities for expansion that aren't even available yet.

May 6, 2018People & Culture Consultant

We are glad to hear you are enjoying working here! Developing our staff remains one of our number one priorities. We do have a number of initiatives in this area underway which is really exciting. Thanks for the feedback!

"Dont Join the Melb office"

2.0
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Melbourne

I have been working at Vend full-time for more than a year

Pros

Stocked kitchen, cake baking, dogs, pool table.

Cons

There are real issues within the sales team and its management. There is excluding behavior and lack of leadership skills. Has been raised and yet still nothing will ever be done. It is not about skills it's about who is liked. There are very different rules set for different people. Want to make it passed probation? Don't join sales.

May 17, 2018People & Culture Consultant

Thank you for your review of working at Vend. While there are some things you thought we could have done better, your views on what went wrong are valuable, and will help us to work on creating a better working environment for our current Vender’s and for the future. If you would like to discuss your concerns further we invite you to contact myself or a member of your P&C team who would be more than happy to speak in more detail around your particular comments and help resolve how you are feeling. Thanks Monika P&C Consultant

"Great people to work with, terrible managers"

1.0
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Melbourne

I worked at Vend full-time for less than a year

Pros

Flexible working environment, pretty much let you do as you wish if you’ve made target. Worked with some great people whom I still keep in contact today

Cons

Wow... where do I start. First week there was very confusing as I was just told to do whatever I want, then I started asking for work and there was very minimal that came in, after a week I complained that there wasn’t enough work and then I was hit with a load of it, which wasn’t where the problem was. Then afterwards I was told that I needed to pick up my contact rate so I did, and a couple of days later I was let go telling me that my work rate was low, with no prior warning or no performance plan in place. Not to mention that the pay was way below industry average as well.

March 26, 2018

Hey there, thanks for taking the time to leave us a review. We appreciate you have had an experience that was less than ideal in your eyes. We strive for all employee to be treated really well at Vend. It's clear you have specific circumstances surrounding your employment and we would love help resolve how you feel! If you'd like to do that please reach out to someone in P&C.

Found 135 reviews