Veterans United Home Loans Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

4.3
Veterans United Home Loans CEO Nate Long
Nate Long

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "From pay to work life balance, to equal consideration in the workplace- I couldn't say enough" (in 17 reviews)

• "Work life balance, casual dress code, awesome co workers" (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • "The family health insurance packages are honestly not that great, and could be a bit more competitive" (in 5 reviews)

• "High burnout and relatively high turnover rate for Loan officers" (in 5 reviews)

1. "Underwriter"

I worked at Veterans United Home Loans full-time

Pros

Excellent Benefits and lots of extras

Cons

Quick to hire, quick to fire

Advice to Management

patience and understanding

12 Nov 2018 – Culture Rep

Thanks for your feedback!

2. "Fun culture but also very demanding and stressful"

Current Employee - Assistant Loan Officer in Columbia, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Assistant Loan Officer in Columbia, MO (US)

I have been working at Veterans United Home Loans full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun almost start up culture

Cons

Can be very stressful and is slowly moving to a more corporate structure as those at the top are getting farther removed from day to day operations

29 Oct 2018 – Culture Rep

Thank you for taking the time to leave some feedback. Feel free to reach out to your manager, Culture or HR if there is anything we can do to support you.

3. "Best company to work for"

I have been working at Veterans United Home Loans full-time

Pros

They invest in there employees.

Cons

Very competitive to get a job for this company

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work

11 Oct 2018 – Culture Rep

We appreciate the feedback and thanks for being part of the VU family!

"Account Manager"

I worked at Veterans United Home Loans full-time

Pros

Coworkers were awesome, supervisor was great, got to help Veterans every day. Good perks like no dress code and on-site masseuse.

Cons

Hardly any room for growth in Operations department. Not enough PTO. Can be a very high stress position depending on volume and there is constant change. Company can’t seem to get department staffing right- it always seemed like we were either understaffed & completely swamped, or overstaffed and bored. People got promoted based on whether or not they were a favorite of management (which seemed to only be people that sucked up and weren’t honest), not by merit or experience.

Advice to Management

Promote people who deserve it and who have earned it, whether they’re your favorite or not.

23 Oct 2018 – Culture Rep

Thanks for your feedback from when you worked at VU. We always try to find the right balance to accommodate the Veterans we serve. We also actively work on ways that each employee can make a... More

5. "Always room for improvement, but a solid company to work for"

I have been working at Veterans United Home Loans full-time

Pros

Really enjoy that I’m able to start my day a little earlier than most. Though there have been a lot of cut backs recently, the occasional free lunch is nice. Benefits are average. Was very accommodating after a medical issue. If you want to be super involved, they offer many different activities.

Cons

Was told when I was hired that there would be all kinds of advancement opportunities, which hasn’t materialized. Our location seems to have stopped hiring all together. Haven’t received a raise in the 2 review cycles I’ve had. Have now been told I was hired at the max pay rate for my position.

Unsure if it’s just the people who happen to work near me, but it’s a very hostile environment. Coworkers constantly taking bad about other departments once they hang up the phone. Makes the culture everyone raves about seem phony.

Advice to Management

Be more transparent up front about advancement opportunities. Try to find a way to lessen the hostility between departments and make offices outside of Columbia feel more apart of the team.

17 Oct 2018 – HR Representative

Thank you for sharing your feedback and positive overall rating. It sounds like your experience at VU has not been what you expected. We’d love to talk with you more one-on-one to understand your... More

"Your experience will vary based on your department and team"

Current Employee - LOA in Columbia, MO (US)
    Current Employee - LOA in Columbia, MO (US)

I have been working at Veterans United Home Loans full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Most employees/team leads/manager are great as is the company culture. That is not true across the board. HR will work with you to move teams or positions if that is needed but results are not guaranteed.

Cons

Your team leader will determine your experience here more than any other company I have ever worked with. Most are good, some are bad and run through teammates quickly. Management does little to coach bad team leaders.

Advice to Management

Coach/censure bad LO's and team leaders. Running through assistants and having nothing happen is not acceptable.

18 Sep 2018 – Culture Rep

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback. As our values state, we are constantly looking for ways to improve and manager training will continue to be an area we focus on cultivating. Your... More

7. "Senior Home Loan Consultant"

I have been working at Veterans United Home Loans full-time

Pros

Great work environment, pay, and perks

Cons

Health insurance plan is about the only weakness. But not bad.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

29 Aug 2018 – Culture Rep

Thanks for the kind words! We are thrilled that you're here and happy to have you as part of the VU family!

"Leaves you feeling hollow"

Former Employee - Software Developer in Columbia, MO (US)
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Columbia, MO (US)

I worked at Veterans United Home Loans full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Understanding that you only work for yourself, and you are only loyal to yourself at the company.

Oh, the massages are the best and only thing I got out of it.

Cons

- Lack of transparency
    - No diversity (White men only)
    - Either you are part of the clique or you're not.
    - Hire when times are good, fire if it suits the manager

Advice to Management

Please have a long term approach. Every employee wants better software and quality software but when it doesnt suit the manager dont make people out to be scapegoats.

And the mission statements make it sound good. I wish it were actually followed.

31 Aug 2018 – HR Representative

We take all feedback very seriously and appreciate you sharing. We strive to have open and honest communication with all employees no matter their department or position. Our values were created by... More

"Great for some. Not me."

I worked at Veterans United Home Loans full-time

Pros

Progressive and fun (kinda) atmosphere

Cons

Very cut-throat internally. Trainees are in competition with each other, as if 6 are being trained, and the 3 best will be granted continuing employment.

28 Jun 2018 – Culture Rep

Thanks for the feedback. We do take pride in the fact that Veterans United is always looking for ways to improve which includes our training programs. Every day and every position is a little... More

"Stay Clear."

I worked at Veterans United Home Loans (More than 3 years)

Pros

They have a fun work environment. You will be given tee shirts almost weekly and they are good about giving you gift cards here at home office and anything else to keep you not focused on the circus you’re joining.

Cons

As a fellow veteran, I couldn’t stand to see the lack of effort given as a whole. All execs up to the top claim they are open to feedback but it’s better to give it once you’re asked to leave.

Advice to Management

When you have it in your Mission Statement, “we embrace open and honest communication” try to truly mean that. Not everyone is at Veterans United for just a check, they want what’s best for the consumer, and when people can go to any other competition and save thousands of dollars, you need to be open to change and adapting. After all, don’t our Military deserve it?

9 Jul 2018 – Culture Rep

Thank you for your feedback. VU is always looking to improve and we will take your comments to heart. We’re sorry to hear that your time with us wasn’t what most employees at VU experience.