Veterans United Home Loans Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

4.3
Veterans United Home Loans CEO Nate Long
Nate Long

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "From pay to work life balance, to equal consideration in the workplace- I couldn't say enough" (in 17 reviews)

• "Work life balance, casual dress code, awesome co workers" (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • "The family health insurance packages are honestly not that great, and could be a bit more competitive" (in 5 reviews)

• "High burnout and relatively high turnover rate for Loan officers" (in 5 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Amazing Culture and Professionalism"

Current Employee - Web Applications Developer in Columbia, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Web Applications Developer in Columbia, MO (US)

I have been working at Veterans United Home Loans full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Being in IT, there are often times we have to deploy something during "off" hours, so before 8 AM or after 6PM, and it is still something I look forward to even when it's early in the morning because working here is so amazing.

The people are fantastic, the culture and values here stand out right away and blow me away every single day. I look forward to coming to work, after which there are several times I will go hang out with coworkers and play games while we discuss improvements to our applications! :)

I am treated like an adult. If there is some family issue that needs to be taken care of, I am told to go take care of it no questions asked. I am trusted and respected a great deal more than any other job I've ever had.

Competitive pay and benefits definitely played a role in my decision to apply to VU, but it wasn't as big as the culture. While I was offered comparable Pay and Benefits, my overall decisions were based off of Culture and Leadership, which I continue to experience every day and I love this job even more.

Cons

I only get to spend so many hours at work, but luckily I can take my laptop home and work from home when I have an idea I want to improve on.

Really though, I can't say a bad thing about working here. It has been absolutely amazing in every way and I hope to work here for a very, very long time.

Advice to Management

Keep. It. Up.

9 Mar 2018 – Culture Rep

Wow, thank you for the wonderful words. We wouldn’t be who we are without the awesome people, who we are lucky to have!

2. "Great company"

Former Employee - Closer in Columbia, MO (US)
    Former Employee - Closer in Columbia, MO (US)

I worked at Veterans United Home Loans full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of benefits and perks attached to the company. They are constantly making ‘best places to work’ lists. You get free gym memberships, occasional free lunches. Staff and most management are very nice

Cons

It seemed they were always tinkering with how to incentivize employees and the mid management changed ALOT while I was there. They were always moving desks and trying to make lots of little changes. That can be seen as good and bad.

10 Jan 2019 – Culture Rep

Thank you for your time with Veterans United and your review! We are proud that we make a variety of 'best place to work' lists but it all comes back to the amazing people we have here.

3. "Fun place to work"

Current Employee - Loan Specialist in Columbia, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Loan Specialist in Columbia, MO (US)

I have been working at Veterans United Home Loans full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Values are taken seriously, fun place to work, feels like company really cares about employees' well being

Cons

Insurance is quite expensive if insuring more than yourself, no tuition reimbursement if attending school, can feel "pigeon holed" in one position or department.

14 Dec 2018 – Culture Rep

Thank you! We do like to live our values as much as possible which include having fun while being passionate about what we do. We also take pride in truly caring about our family members which means... More

4. "Underwriter"

I worked at Veterans United Home Loans full-time

Pros

Excellent Benefits and lots of extras

Cons

Quick to hire, quick to fire

Advice to Management

patience and understanding

12 Nov 2018 – Culture Rep

Thanks for your feedback!

5. "Fun culture but also very demanding and stressful"

Current Employee - Assistant Loan Officer in Columbia, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Assistant Loan Officer in Columbia, MO (US)

I have been working at Veterans United Home Loans full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun almost start up culture

Cons

Can be very stressful and is slowly moving to a more corporate structure as those at the top are getting farther removed from day to day operations

29 Oct 2018 – Culture Rep

Thank you for taking the time to leave some feedback. Feel free to reach out to your manager, Culture or HR if there is anything we can do to support you.

6. "Best company to work for"

I have been working at Veterans United Home Loans full-time

Pros

They invest in there employees.

Cons

Very competitive to get a job for this company

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work

11 Oct 2018 – Culture Rep

We appreciate the feedback and thanks for being part of the VU family!

"Account Manager"

I worked at Veterans United Home Loans full-time

Pros

Coworkers were awesome, supervisor was great, got to help Veterans every day. Good perks like no dress code and on-site masseuse.

Cons

Hardly any room for growth in Operations department. Not enough PTO. Can be a very high stress position depending on volume and there is constant change. Company can’t seem to get department staffing right- it always seemed like we were either understaffed & completely swamped, or overstaffed and bored. People got promoted based on whether or not they were a favorite of management (which seemed to only be people that sucked up and weren’t honest), not by merit or experience.

Advice to Management

Promote people who deserve it and who have earned it, whether they’re your favorite or not.

23 Oct 2018 – Culture Rep

Thanks for your feedback from when you worked at VU. We always try to find the right balance to accommodate the Veterans we serve. We also actively work on ways that each employee can make a... More

8. "Always room for improvement, but a solid company to work for"

I have been working at Veterans United Home Loans full-time

Pros

Really enjoy that I’m able to start my day a little earlier than most. Though there have been a lot of cut backs recently, the occasional free lunch is nice. Benefits are average. Was very accommodating after a medical issue. If you want to be super involved, they offer many different activities.

Cons

Was told when I was hired that there would be all kinds of advancement opportunities, which hasn’t materialized. Our location seems to have stopped hiring all together. Haven’t received a raise in the 2 review cycles I’ve had. Have now been told I was hired at the max pay rate for my position.

Unsure if it’s just the people who happen to work near me, but it’s a very hostile environment. Coworkers constantly taking bad about other departments once they hang up the phone. Makes the culture everyone raves about seem phony.

Advice to Management

Be more transparent up front about advancement opportunities. Try to find a way to lessen the hostility between departments and make offices outside of Columbia feel more apart of the team.

17 Oct 2018 – HR Representative

Thank you for sharing your feedback and positive overall rating. It sounds like your experience at VU has not been what you expected. We’d love to talk with you more one-on-one to understand your... More

"Your experience will vary based on your department and team"

Current Employee - LOA in Columbia, MO (US)
    Current Employee - LOA in Columbia, MO (US)

I have been working at Veterans United Home Loans full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Most employees/team leads/manager are great as is the company culture. That is not true across the board. HR will work with you to move teams or positions if that is needed but results are not guaranteed.

Cons

Your team leader will determine your experience here more than any other company I have ever worked with. Most are good, some are bad and run through teammates quickly. Management does little to coach bad team leaders.

Advice to Management

Coach/censure bad LO's and team leaders. Running through assistants and having nothing happen is not acceptable.

18 Sep 2018 – Culture Rep

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback. As our values state, we are constantly looking for ways to improve and manager training will continue to be an area we focus on cultivating. Your... More

10. "Senior Home Loan Consultant"

I have been working at Veterans United Home Loans full-time

Pros

Great work environment, pay, and perks

Cons

Health insurance plan is about the only weakness. But not bad.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

29 Aug 2018 – Culture Rep

Thanks for the kind words! We are thrilled that you're here and happy to have you as part of the VU family!