Volvo Car USA "swedish" Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

Volvo Car USA Employee Reviews about "swedish"

Updated Oct 15, 2019

Found 66 reviews

3.6
Volvo Car USA CEO Anders Gustafsson
Anders Gustafsson
Pros
  • "(in 5 reviews)

• "Great benefits and a growing culture that empowers me to explore new fields of interest(in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • "culture, it's about trying to recreate Swedish culture in the U(in 4 reviews)

• "(in 3 reviews)

Reviews about "swedish"

Return to all Reviews

"Not what i expected, life changed and i got promises that the Americans could not provide"

Current Employee - Maintenance in Charleston, SC
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Volvo Car USA full-time for more than a year

Pros

Long hours equal more money, that is a con too. Nice people, but they are getting angry daily Potential union, which i do not believe in but this location needs it. Clean locker rooms to shower in Smoking is not allowed everywhere Free coffee

Cons

Everything, no communication, little direction and we make vehicles for no one. I mean, i was fooled by the Swedish people when they said this will be a culture to stay. If you think about working here for anything other than the money, do not do it. Before you sign on, go look at the parking lot, 8,000 vehicles made, 6,000 in the parking lot that cannot be sold. Joke HR is not existent, no policies for a year... since i was hired. How many days can i miss, not sure i guess it is up to my supervisor. When i left there was still no policy book and we all just printed random information off the online site. Not sure if it is even real. What a joke.

Advice to Management

Communicate Get real Do not be an idealist, be a realist Listen to your team Be approachable Listen Learn Be nice and treat people as they are not idiots. I know i work in a factory, no education, but do not treat me like i am sum. Seriously Present me a revision of a policy book Smile and pretend like your happy, cause we on the line are not and could use the motivation. Do not work me long hours for... cars that cannot be sold Do not lie to me at noon, saying i am working until 5:40, make accommodations for my children, then at 2:30 tell me we do not have parts an cannot make the cars that no one will buy. AGH get it togther. More to say, just very sad about changing my life for an empty promise.

Volvo Car USA2019-06-06

"Worst Nightmare Realized"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockleigh, NJ

I have been working at Volvo Car USA full-time

Pros

Free cars at higher levels of the organization

Cons

Extremely disorganized leadership that treat people with little to no respect in the way that employees are spoken to and treated- you feel completely disposable and taken advantage of. The culture is very toxic and instead of leadership looking to adapt to the U.S. culture, it's about trying to recreate Swedish culture in the U.S., which leads to various initiatives and processes being rolled out that make zero... sense in a U.S. context and where we are just doing them for leadership's political agenda and to look like they are "globalizing" Volvo, but actually they are forcing a Swedish agenda without any regard for or desire to understand what could work best in this market. Often times leaders and expats that are brought over to the U.S. in senior positions are done so because there are no other jobs for them in Sweden, leaving the U.S. with very weak, incompetent and expensive Swedish leaders. This leaves very few senior-level positions available for local American employees to grow in or aspire to. Additionally they are constantly speaking in Swedish in the office, leaving Americans out of the conversation completely. This company used to feel like a family to me but has since become unrecognizable- beyond my worst imaginable nightmares.

Advice to Management

Treat people with respect and try to understand the culture that you are a part of. Invest in your culture and people and make some bold leadership changes.

Volvo Car USA2019-02-25

"Join only if you talk Swedish"

Former Employee - Engineer

I worked at Volvo Car USA full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good values & fundamentals The company has a good progressive view of the automotive industry Of late good initiatives - for example electric cars

Cons

- They talk constantly in Swedish - even when the office is in US/China - Very bureaucratic, slow decision making - Overall low trust factor - Very Sweden-centric, they haven't learned how to become a global company - Medium Benefits

Advice to Management

First understand what globalization means to an organization - hint : it is not starting offices in other parts of the globe

Volvo Car USA2017-09-29

"Management cannot agree on what Volvo Cars should be."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockleigh, NJ
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Volvo Car USA full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Caring coworkers and genuine efforts by local management to cushion the shock of constant business upheavals.

Cons

Perpetual disagreement between the US marketing organization and the Swedish global marketing organization on direction for the brand. Add to that a Chinese owner with its own priorities, and the US market is in a resultant tailspin.

Advice to Management

Run your own race, not your competitor's. Pick one direction and go there. Get rid of anyone who does not want to follow because they really will hold you back.

Volvo Car USA2013-12-30