Workday Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

Updated 21 July 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Demands on work life balance can often times create a challenge (in 11 reviews)

• No free meals like other companies in the Bay Area (in 18 reviews)

"Care About Their People"

Current Employee - Senior Trainer
    Current Employee - Senior Trainer

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Workday is hard to beat as they offer great benefits and strive for a strong culture. Not everything is perfect but they do try and improve constantly to be a great place to work.

Cons

Fast growth is hard and that is obvious in some areas but the company has a solid foundation and philosophy of employees first.

Advice to Management

Grow the company and continue to do the right thing for our customers.

"Generally Best Company To Work For"

Former Employee - Product Support Analyst
    Former Employee - Product Support Analyst

I worked at Workday full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Product: I worked in Support so I deal with bugs and issues all day. I still think it's a great quality product. Amazing and constantly developing to become better. Truly is industry leading and the leadership/ talent involved with product development is truly inspired. Workday releases new features every 6 months, which keeps them on the cutting edge and crushes competition.
    Company: The leadership really does focus on the company’s core values in order to have an amazing culture. Recently there have been complaints that culture was slipping because of hyper growth. What did leadership do? They flew every manager in the company and hosted a conference to help managers lead with their strengths and improve their weaknesses. For a company to spend time and money on something like this, truly shows their dedication to improve Workday. They really do focus on employees, the best they can.
    They do so many activities and contests to make things fun. I'm pretty sure every department is encouraged to hold quarterly events, whether it be the team going to a movie or helping out at a local food bank.
    Workday also is VERY big on service and gives you money towards your charity of choice as you spend your time. Every year Workday has "cangineering" which is a canned food drive. Every office has a chance to build a sculpture out of cans of food. Then the company votes on which one they like most (just a fun competition). After, all of the food donated is given to the local food bank. Workday even gives money to each office to spend of cans of food.
    Employees: Workday truly cares about your career growth. Now, I'm sure that may vary from department to department, but I feel generally it's true. They would like you to stay at one position for at least 18 months before transferring to another.
    Support Position: Even though you are expected to work certain times to support issues, management is flexible with your schedule and understands you have a life out of work. I feel it's a great work life balance. However you are currently required to work a "late shift" for a week, once a quarter. It's not the best, but they give you 2 comp days off and $500 bonus for doing it. You can also work from home during that time if you want. I think that's a pretty fair trade off.
    Benefits: I think the benefits are great! There are a few insurance options. For about $500 a month for a family, there isn't a deductible, $20 co-pays, $150 co-pay for hospital visits (Cost me $300 for a baby!), "Free" outpatient surgery. For around $70 a month, you can get a high deductible plan, however Workday puts the whole deductible in your HSA!

It was amazing working for Workday. Definitely a winning product, team and culture. Maybe someday I will return! :)

Cons

There is pressure to perform and sometimes it can feel like your being micro-managed instead of trusted, especially when you are a new-hire. It may be just the sub-culture in Support. However, if you have a positive attitude about it, you will become better at your job quickly.

It seems that unless you work at a major office (Pleasanton, Dublin & New Zealand), your career development seems limited.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. Leadership is KEY for culture. PLEASE keep truly striving to live the core values and helping your employees to do so.
    Please be open to letting qualified individuals work from other offices. You are a tech company and there are many technologies to help employees work remotely.
    Push more product training, especially with new features being released every 6 months. One training isn't enough. Make it possible for employees to review training a year, 2 years, 3 years, etc. after their first day/ feature released. I feel with employees revisiting trainings, it will help new things stick out because when you are a new hire or reviewing a new feature, the training is drinking from a fire hose. Give employees some time to digest info and then a chance to eat again so they can gain more info. It's like watching a movie multiple times, every time something new sticks out because you aren't focused on the basics any more, but more advanced info.

"Still a Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA (US)

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- 401k Matching
    - Snack Program
    - Gym Reimbursement
    - Great Leadership
    - Teams Passionate about Workday and our Products
    - Game Rooms
    - Various Onsite Vendors and Services
    - On campus Showers

Workday has proven time and time again it's committed to both it's employees and it's customers. The second is a product of the former and Senior Leadership knows it. I have never seen any company invest as much time and effort in making sure it's culture remains in tact as it continues to grow.

The technology to some may be a stumbling block but that's only because they allow it to be. For those who see it's value it molds them into better engineers who take the skills they learn in this technology and apply it elsewhere.

Overall, I enjoy getting up and going to work. Partly it's because of what I do, mostly it's because of where I do it.

Cons

Too many smart people! It's hard to stand out in a group of engineers who are so talented and passionate. It's not a very good "con" but it's the hardest part about working at Workday but also one of the parts that helps me grow as a professional.

Since getting bigger there's the natural growing pains of communication and bureaucracy. Getting other teams to cooperate sometimes is frustrating but manageable.

Advice to Management

Don't lose touch! You're far removed from the day to day experiences of Individual Contributors. Find a way to keep an eye on the culture we know you want to protect.

"Best Place to Work"

Pros

Amazing culture, fair wages, great benefits

Cons

Not a ton of parking space

"Sales - great company, great culture"

Current Employee - Enterprise Sales Analyst in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)
    Current Employee - Enterprise Sales Analyst in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)

I have been working at Workday full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

really nice people in all departments. Even though it the headcount is growing incredibly, everything works well. Relaxed people, very good work-life balance. More informal compared to other tech companies. Managers really human. And... the product is AMAZING. In sales, you will really believe you are selling paradise to companies that use archaic systems.

Cons

there may be a bit less perks than other companies. But this never really felt as a problem

"Company does not follow it's own core value"

Former Employee - Senior Associate Quality Assurance Engineer in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)

I worked at Workday full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The guys on my team were really nice and good to work with. The package is competitive. Good location.

Cons

My manager is the worst manager I have ever had in my working career. The company has employees as their core value but this is just a ride to the uninformed and the outside world. If you need support from your manager, he's not there. Favoritism runs rampant in the office and not the best or most deserving person gets promoted, but the person who brown noses most.

Advice to Management

Have a look at your junior managers and start culling there. Stop the favoritism and make people feel like they are actually the core value of the company and not only put it in the values for show.

"Well miscleading environment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)

I worked at Workday full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

good cantine, nice snak, free beer , work from home (:D) nice location, carpark, elevetor, fantsatic decoration , a lot of events, and stock option when signing the contract.

Cons

if by no chance you are working in the dark side, I mean you will deal with XpressO and you are like me technical person who like technical thing, like spring, kafka, no SQL DB, redis and JAVA8, like functonal programming , and keen to tests using selenium cucumber or serenity, etc , this technology will put you 6 feet under the ground. I left the comany before my probation period ends.

Advice to Management

no advice to be given to the management who know already all the issues and they are aware about them. The only advice: don't hire skilled people with high standard, you can hire 3rd class or 4th class people to work and get paid. even 2nd class people (the kind of candidate that will fail the interview in the last stage) won't be happy. Pick up the worst candidate and they propbably will be happy to work with you.

"Sales"

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good money and excellent application. We use Workday at Workday and it's a great system.

Cons

Terrible culture. Sales is cut throat. You are merely a # and it's a terrible mentality. Treated like slaves. If you don't work in the CA office, you are not getting the "great culture" experience the company preaches.

Advice to Management

Treat people with respect and have some fun. Celebrate victories for more than 5 minutes.

10. "Great sales culture"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Denver, CO (US)
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Denver, CO (US)

I worked at Workday full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fun, collaborative group that has high integrity. Great product with great innovation.

Cons

too small sales territories. Unrealistic quotas for some teams.

Advice to Management

slow down the hiring.

"Great company"

Current Employee - Manager in Pleasanton, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Manager in Pleasanton, CA (US)

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Love simplicity of Dave and Aneel and how they respect and value employees.
    Nice people who care so much about customers.

Cons

Could not think of any.

Advice to Management

Large customer deals are good but Workday could be more successful if it focuses on mid and small enterprises. Too many man hours are spent supporting few big customers. Mid and small companies will be way more and they can easily supported.