Workplace Systems Employee Reviews about "technical debt"

Updated 16 May 2016

4.6
Workplace Systems CEO David Farquhar
David Farquhar
Pros
  • "The benefits are unbeatable and the work/life balance is unreal(in 10 reviews)

• "The best part of working at Workplace is the senior management team(in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • "It does have some legacy technical debt(in 7 reviews)

• "I have yet to find too many cons, it is hard work and there is a pressure that comes from a strong need to play your part and support your peers(in 4 reviews)

Reviews about "technical debt"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Exciting work but still finding their groove"

I have been working at Workplace Systems full-time

Pros

Good, open culture with very few limits on scope to change. People are generally good, supportive and skilled. Leadership is pointed in the right direction.

Cons

Software development impeded by technical debt of legacy products and commitment to customer driven changes. Benefits are below market value

"Amazing atmosphere"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milton Keynes, England

I have been working at Workplace Systems full-time for more than a year

Pros

The company culture is amazing, the place is full of excellent people who enjoy working and having fun together. This is also an organisation that truly embrace agile methodologies, starting from engineering to all across professional services. People at Workplace thrive to get better at what they do and how they do it together.

Cons

Continuous success in bringing in more sales, acquiring new customers or upselling to existing ones result in extra pressure all across the business due to technical debt and legacy issues on the technical front.

April 9, 2016Group CEO

Thanks for the great feedback. This is what mnakes us successful and different from your average software company. Growing pains are inevitable and the engineering guys are investing heavily in simplifying and making the deployment of our software easier all the time. I promnise we'll keep up that effort. - David

"Fun, challenging, and"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Milton Keynes, England

I have been working at Workplace Systems full-time for less than a year

Pros

The past year I've been at Workplace I've been witness to a company undertaking a significant change, both culturally and technically. Day to day I work in an open, fun environment with very talented peers, who strive to make excellent software and motivate others to do so as well. I have been given significant opportunities in a very short space of time, and with a philosophical buy-in from all levels of management about building quality software, I find it very easy to see the impact I make day-to-day, both for our clients, and for others in the company. If you're someone who wants to learn, play with technology, and really cares about making great software, I couldn't recommend a better team to be part of.

Cons

The product I work on is large and complex, with signficant amount of technical debt. However, with real investment, and clear plans from our architecture team, we're making impressive progress in turning the product around.

December 1, 2015Group CEO

So, another 6 months on and I wonder how the aditional investment and those architectural improvements are working out. Some updated feedback would be really useful so we can gauge how wise our investment has been. Yes I think we are going to be out-growing our MK offices within 12 months or so: we're already over capacity in Chicago and need to invest there as well. This is all going into the new business plan. Thanks! - David

"Great plans, people, products and prospects"

Current Employee - Product Development Manager in Milton Keynes, England

I have been working at Workplace Systems full-time

Pros

Workplace has transformed over the last two years into a vibrant and exciting place to work. Having worked here for almost 10 years, I have never felt more positive about what is happening in the company. A solid management team, with a clear plan, and lots of new talented recruits have really raised the bar at Workplace. Some other highlights include: a nice office in a great location, a great social atmosphere, lots of new employee initiatives, new technologies and products, career opportunities, and an impressive customer portfolio. For anyone wanting to work or gain experience in Agile, Workplace is a truly Agile company and is constantly looking at ways of improving its processes across all functions. The company welcomes people with fresh ideas who want to stand out and make a difference.

Cons

There are a few legacy products with large, complex code bases that are difficult to maintain. Time and effort is already being invested to recover this technical debt.

Continue reading

"Growing Friendly company with strong management"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milton Keynes, England

I have been working at Workplace Systems full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Workplace is a good company to work for. It has changed considerably with new management, in the last two year for the better. • Investing in company future • Focusing on improving the product • Communicates regularly with employees • Flexible working – appreciates the importance of work-life balance • Nice office, kitchen area with microwave and fridge, free parking

Cons

It does have some legacy technical debt.

Continue reading
  6. "Something is obviously right here"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Milton Keynes, England

I have been working at Workplace Systems full-time for less than a year

Pros

An extremely "can-do" environment where everyone is motivated to achieve the vision we have. Everyone realises we're in "the same boat together" and we need to "paddle together". Everyone, including senior management is approachable, friendly and very professional which makes it easy, productive and fun to work together (and learn from each other). These in turn result in a lot more solutions than excuses - and a product we are proud of.

Cons

Some projects have a lot of technical debt which can be frustrating at times: everything takes more effort to do.

"Hard work, but rewarding"

Current Employee - Product Development Manager in Milton Keynes, England

I have been working at Workplace Systems full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Solid financials, that are promoting growth. Excellent global team working.

Cons

Considerable technical debt in the product.

May 27, 2015Group CEO

You're right, the technical debt issue has been a real challenge, but with Ronan's leadership, a rapidly developing management team and the commitment of everyone in engineering as well as the broader Great Products group I believe we've made significant strides. Evolution would be wonderful but we had a lot to make up for and sometimes a little revolution can be a good thing! - David

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Found 7 reviews