Worldwide Business Research Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

Updated 3 January 2019

4.4
Rick Worden

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "You do the math in terms of work-life balance" (in 11 reviews)

• "Stable work environment to be in" (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • "the office definitely needs a renovation" (in 2 reviews)

• "could spruce up the office a bit" (in 2 reviews)

1. "Sales driven environment"

Former Employee - Events in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Events in London, England (UK)

I worked at Worldwide Business Research full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people in the office
    Social aspect
    Office location

Cons

Low holiday allowance
    Sales driven management
    Inflexible working
    Huge discrepancies for base salaries
    Many egos

"Horrible! Avoid! MICROMANAGED and NO RACIAL DIVERSITY!"

Former Employee - Sales Executive in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Executive in London, England (UK)

I worked at Worldwide Business Research full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The only ones I can think of it's the office location and the fact you get to travel to a conference abroad. But, don't hope to do much sightseeing while there!!

Cons

Everything else! It is SEVERELY MICROMANAGED! Literally, everything you do is subjected to a comment or criticism from management. The basic salary is low and so is the commission unless they put you to work on the paying delegates side of the event and even then, there are A LOT of places with much better commission structure. Leads are given by the managers so they ALWAYS give the good leads to the people who they like and most of the others end up with used leads that have been over-called! I've had people threatening to report us if we call again! There is a lot of gossip in the office. Especially between a few of the female sales managers which creates a rather uncomfortable atmosphere. Some managers come and go as they want, but you are judged if you ask for a day off! There is NO RACIAL DIVERSITY! I've seen maybe 2 or 3 people of colour in the entire office which has around 100 employees (rough estimate). One of my colleagues was insulted by her manager on several occasions. It is just a horrible place and you should only join if you like to be MICROMANAGED.

Advice to Management

They wouldn't listen to it anyway!

3. "Delegate Sales Executive"

Former Employee - Senior Delegate Sales Executive
    Former Employee - Senior Delegate Sales Executive

I worked at Worldwide Business Research full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- You will struggle to find a better company culture then WBR's
    - The work life balance makes working at WBR extremely enjoyable.
    - The Directors/ Managers have the ability to drive, influence and offer opportunity in line with individals ambitions
    - The money that can be made from hard work is extremely rewarding

Cons

- Office and computers are fairly outdated
    - No ability to work for home, offering little flexibility between Monday-Friday

4. "WBR"

I have been working at Worldwide Business Research full-time

Pros

Great team collaboration
    opportunities to travel
    employee incentives and networking functions (summer fridays, happy hour, holiday parties, etc)

Cons

it's the "norm" to have access to emails on your phone outside of work hours
    the office definitely needs a renovation
    IT company could be better

5 Dec 2018 – Managing Director

Thanks for this wonderful review! We love to see our teams collaborate to bring together such great business events. We appreciate your continuous efforts to raise the bar of what it means to be a... More

5. "Best Conference Company!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Worldwide Business Research full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've been in the conference industry for 10+ years, hands down, WBR is the best out there. They understand the work that needs to be done before executing a conference. It's not like one of those churn and burn companies and see if the event sticks. They truly take the time to do research before executing a conference. What does that mean for an employee? That makes me appreciate WBR because they give you a good amount of responsibility and understand work/life balance! You aren't doing 100+ events. It's a good balance and they really believe in their employees. I've been here for about 4 years, and they treat us well! Very much work hard, play hard vibe= it's all about balance!

Cons

Salaries could be better.

Advice to Management

Raises for everyone!

5 Dec 2018 – Managing Director

Wow, thanks for this amazing review! Coming from someone with over 10 years of experience, this really says a lot. Like you said, we take our events VERY seriously and handle each of our 100 events... More

6. "Conference Producer - A Great Place to Grow Your Career"

Current Employee - Conference Producer in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Conference Producer in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Worldwide Business Research full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- WBR's company culture and positive work environment is the biggest pro that comes to mind. I've felt support from my manager and co-workers from the day I started my job. Playing office politics and competing with each other is not really a thing here, and you can always count on your colleagues' help and friendly advice on how to deal with challenges in your work. The fact that most employees have been with the company for so many years speaks volumes about what you can expect if you join WBR team.

- You will get a chance to travel both locally and internationally, depending on your portfolio, and you can always take a couple of vacation days after the conference to explore cities and countries you may have never visited otherwise.

- The office is located steps away from Grand Central, so it's an easy commute to/from work from most parts of New York

- Your average workday will be 9am to 5:30pm. The office is typically empty by 5:45pm. You do the math in terms of work-life balance. Very few places are like that!

- Summer Fridays (finishing work at 3pm) are a thing here, and who doesn't want to enjoy those sunny Friday afternoons all summer long?

- As a conference producer, you get to research and collaborate with top executives from Fortune 500 companies and innovative startups, so there is always something new you can learn every day.

- Conference production is a really multifaceted job and a great way to develop your market research, project management, team management, marketing, communication and organizational skills (the list goes on).

Cons

- Depending on your production schedule, this job can be very stressful and demanding because you are constantly juggling multiple projects and deadlines and need to hit high targets in order to grow your events. If you are not good at multi-tasking, this job is probably not a good fit for you.

- Because of my project scheduling overlaps, I haven't had a chance to take more than five vacation days in a row. This was an unexpected issue for me (I definitely prefer a two-week vacation getaway to multiple short-term holiday trips).

- Outdated IT/desk setup is quite an issue (think old-school square monitors, bulky keyboards, Citrix that constantly freezes... ). However, you can invest in your own equipment to "stop the suffering", which is not ideal, yet not so bad of a trade-off if you are planning to stay with the company for a long time.

- The open floor plan and office layout leave a lot to be desired. Be prepared to deal with things such as limited desk space, constant background noise and distraction throughout the day, to the point where you feel like you don't have enough time and space to concentrate on your project.

Advice to Management

Please invest in new office equipment and talent development

5 Dec 2018 – Managing Director

What an incredible review! Thanks for breaking down all these pro and for being honest about the cons. Yes, multi-tasking is a VERY big deal if you're going to produce multiple world class events at... More

7. "Perfect mid town location"

I have been working at Worldwide Business Research full-time

Pros

Great People, managers and atmoshpere

Cons

Uneven work loads at times

5 Dec 2018 – Managing Director

Thanks for leaving this 5 star review! We work very hard on keeping our people happy, challenged, and moving forward. Our managers know that in order to have great events you first have to train and... More

8. "Meeting Planner"

I have been working at Worldwide Business Research full-time

Pros

-Great company environment
    -Friendly colleagues
    -Work hard/play hard mindset

Cons

-Some days could be long hours, but doesn't happen often

5 Dec 2018 – Managing Director

Thanks for the strong review! Meeting Planners are such an important part of our business conferences and we thank you for your service and support for without you it would not be possible. Keep up... More

9. "Best Company Culture!"

I have been working at Worldwide Business Research full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If I had to use three words to describe WBR's company culture, I would say it is supportive, collaborative and innovative. And there's never a dull moment when working in live events, so I'm constantly exposed to new ideas, concepts and industries. This makes everyday a little bit different and keeps me excited about coming into work! I've made great friends while working here as well due to the good vibes WBR has managed to cultivate amongst the staff. AND we get to travel to cool cities!

Cons

We are right off 5th Avenue and sometimes it is loud when the major city wide parades go by LOL! But, in all seriousness, working in live events can be a quite stressful, but it's also really rewarding and a great learning experience.

5 Dec 2018 – Managing Director

Thanks for the great review and honest feedback! Those three words definitely touch on the core values that we work hard to push and promote every single day. When it comes to running the biggest... More

10. "You could do worse!"

Current Employee - Producer in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Producer in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Worldwide Business Research full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Decent hours (9-5:30)
    -Really fun, nice, and motivated co-workers
    -You get to travel sometimes
    -You get to learn about new industries
    -You are encouraged to innovate
    -Good location - easy access to most major transportation
    -Great lunch options
    -In office happy hour every month
    -Strong emphasis on money and additional time off as rewards
    -Summer Fridays
    -Free snack drops in the break room (watch out, the chocolate goes first)
    -All the managers worked their way up from entry level positions so they really understand your job and what you are dealing with

Cons

-The chair/desk set up is not comfortable
    -It's a challenging industry, a lot of your job depends on how people outside the company respond to you and that's can be stressful given that we're always working within production schedules
    -The computers run on Citrix which is buggy and crashy
    -Not a very modern space, lots of gray
    -The bathroom is gross if you are a woman that works on the 9th floor
    -If you don't like open office environments you will lose your mind

Advice to Management

You're pretty great! Root beer floats at the next in company happy hour?

5 Dec 2018 – Managing Director

Thanks for the 5 star review! We try to promote innovation and learning at every corner to keep our employees sharp. Indeed, this is a challenging industry and that's why we strive to hire the best... More