Wowcher Employee Reviews about "senior management"

Updated 20 May 2020

3.1
Wowcher CEO Roland Bryan (no image)
Roland Bryan
Pros
  • "Good Christmas and Summer parties(in 7 reviews)

• "Great People and working atmosphere, I have made many friends at Wowcher and really enjoy coming to work(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "Some members of senior management show very little respect for their employees, their time and can be dishonest(in 8 reviews)

• "Very limited opportunity for career progression within the company(in 6 reviews)

Reviews about "senior management"

Return to all Reviews

"Good for straight out of uni otherwise avoid!"

Former Employee - Anonymous in London, England

I worked at Wowcher full-time

Pros

Breakfast on a Friday is generous and varied, quarterly budget for a team social is always used, monthly All Bar Wowcher is generous (drinks), Christmas and Summer parties are generous, sample sales - although items that have been deemed unfit to sell to consumers end up in there!! There are some lovely lovely people that work there.

Cons

There is one person at the top who calls the shots and if you don't pander to him you won't succeed - if you're not a yes man this is not the place for you. Don't expect to have a voice. Some members of senior management show very little respect for their employees, their time and can be dishonest. Workload and deadlines can be unrealistic and priorities ever changing and not necessarily well thought out/backed up. Some team members are put under an unhealthy amount of stress. If you're straight out of uni its a good stepping stone to something better, but other than that I'd avoid like the plague. I was warned against this company before starting by several people, and I really wish I'd listened. My experience at this company has knocked my confidence both on a personal and on a professional level.

2. "Perfect place to start your career in sales"

5.0
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in London, England

I worked at Wowcher full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- incredible progression if you are willing to work very hard and go the extra mile - senior management that invests in its team to build you up to be a great sales person and manager, which ever route you want to go down - really fast paced and exciting company to work for - amazing team members that are there to work hard, and have fun - huge earning potential within the sale team on commission!!

Cons

-constant deadlines, but this keeps you on your toes and keeps you fighting for the next deal

3. "Great place to work"

5.0

I have been working at Wowcher full-time

Pros

Benefits for staff Open door policy to the senior management team Good social team events twice a year Strong work ethics

Cons

Communication in some departments could be better

"Fake Reviews - not a company you want to work for!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at Wowcher full-time

Pros

None - terrible place to work

Cons

Awful senior management, totally out of touch with how to treat employees. Often fire people because they lack the ability to empower their teams.

Wowcher Response

May 23, 2018HR & Talent Manager

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. To understand your comments better and to help us improve we would like to discuss this with you if you can spare a few minutes. Please email hr-wowcher@wowcher.co.uk and we’ll be in touch.

"#prayforwowcher"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at Wowcher full-time

Pros

- The people you work alongside really do make it a better place to work (although be prepared to attend a fair few of their leaving drinks in your Wowcher lifetime as the retention struggle is real) - They host after-work drinks on the roof sometimes which is quite fun (although these are very sporadic) - Generous commission structure for sales (although they move the goalposts to unlock this constantly) - They give you the chance to express your ideas to drive the company forward (but then ignore them) - Great job for grads looking to get an insight into the industry (although you will receive next to no training)

Cons

Clear your schedule, this could take a while - Salaries are a bit of a joke. Trying to get a more realistic figure from them in your salary negotiations is like getting blood from a stone. - For sales, the commission structure can be extremely generous and people do make a lot of money when they hit target, although next month you'll have a bunch of completely different KPIs you need to hit to unlock the commission you have already earned. It's a bit sadistic. You ever seen Saw? - On the topic of sales targets, hope you like to keep things unpredictable. Your targets will be "based on how much money that sector made that time last year" oh yeah, and if you hit last month, we are going to up it this month too lol. - The job itself will be vaguely related to the job you applied for. Oh you want to be a designer? Yeah okay Photoshop this hoover on a different background. You wanna do sales? Lol. Admin. Copywriter? Fill out a spreadsheet to determine exactly how many 32C leopard-print bras you're allowed to sell compared to the other 35 ridiculous options. WHY LIE??? - Training. Lol jk. There isnt any. - Anything that has been suggested to help Wowcher perform better as a business will either be completely ignored, or presented by senior management as their own idea months later. Then if yours is one of the ideas that actually DOES get implemented, they'll do it at a really convenient time and roll out the test phase when the company isn't already really busy and under enormous strain. Like at Christmas. - Complete and utter disregard for the businesses they work with. It's all about squeezing every last penny you can from a company and still expecting them to want to work with Wowcher after they mess them around for weeks and months at a time. - Nothing at Wowcher works, and I'm not just talking about their products. Ask them what happened with their warehouse over Christmas. And how there are clients left threatening never to work with them ever again all year round due to payment issues or some other Wowcher error. It's just a mess. - Let's talk management. I know that there are a lot of managers and senior staff at Wowcher who do work very hard and do try to help people out as much as possible. HOWEVER, I didn't get one of those. What I got was someone who shouldn't be managing a team to begin with. Some people are better at making money for the business, and that's okay. But don't give them a team hahaha oh God it's awful. In a 6-person team she's got through 9 people in the space of a year. She has the worst retention in the whole of the London office and yet no-one is looking into why. It's okay though because I'll tell you. She is often rude to the supporting teams and frequently blames them for her mistakes. Not satisfied with demoralising her own diminishing team, she tires to bully other teams as well. She will steal your deals even though you're in her team! She will micromanage your every move. She will delegate tasks such as training onto other members of her team despite it not being remotely part of their job description. She will call you all away from your desks for meeting after meeting about nothing in particular, or more accurately, the same thing you just had a meeting about this morning. Her approach is not consultative at all. She simply does not know how to engage her team and when she feels she is losing their respect, she tries to claw it back using fear. I honestly don't know how she is allowed to work the way she does and I think it is a terrible reflection on Wowcher as a company for allowing her to do so. Although I guess for anyone applying for the role, with this one at the wheel there will always be a vacancy to fill!! - "Internalise, don't externalise." This is actually a great way to work, especially in sales. It is excellent advice and I really really wish that management would implement it into their way of working instead of simply saying the words. The irony is strong with this one. - I have never known a workplace to have so many separate rules for separate people in my life. You can't work like that. It's total chaos. Everyone needs to abide by the same rules or it doesn't work. Totally demotivating. - I feel like the London Human Resources function should also get a special mention just for being the least human HR rep that ever walked the earth. Despite all that you've read above, I really enjoyed my time at Wowcher for the most part. The people really do make it a fun place to work, but at the end of the day you're looking for a career, not a social group. Make the right choice. Choose life. Choose somewhere else.

Continue reading

"A good company to work for"

Sales in London, England

I have been working at Wowcher for more than a year

Pros

Generous with commission if you put the work in Good Career progression

Cons

It would be good for everyone to get a chance to be heard by senior management Not everyone feels as valued as they should feel

7. "Awful Company"

Sales in London, England

I worked at Wowcher

Pros

Recognised brand on tv often

Cons

Childish atmosphere Need to sleep your way to the top Senior management very closed in their way of thinking Deals were not always in the best interest of the client, some were making a loss

Continue reading

"You get out what you put in"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Wowcher full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Massive earning potential in sales - Management have open door policy - Growing quickly so loads of opportunities to get involved in new business ideas

Cons

Senior Management don't always communicate effectively Company needs to think about longevity and customer retention

9. "What you make it"

No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Wowcher full-time

Pros

Wowcher is a really great place to start out as a graduate or second jobber. The company will take a chance on people that might not have tons of experience but do have enthusiasm and are willing to work hard, which means talent is homegrown and opportunities to progress are open to those that put effort in. The company has grown quickly as part of dmg media and now has a modern office in North London, with a roof terrace and lots of space indoors. Wowcher really is what you make it. If you knuckle down and do the work (it's not always the most interesting work) then it can open doors internally. If you're not willing to put time and effort in, it's unlikely to be a good fit. Staying positive is really important. Starting salaries aren't amazing, but you can work upwards. Past colleagues have used Wowcher as a step to get really great jobs elsewhere, which is promising when considering the future.

Cons

It can feel that senior management is slightly closed off and hard to approach, especially if you have a really good idea that you'd like to share but no outlet to share it. Certain teams don't always feel as valued to the company as others. Emphasis really is placed on sales, as their success is measurable by targets and revenue, but it can get tiresome for other teams who also work hard to make the site a success but don't get as much recognition. The work does get repetitive. If you fall into a negative mindset, it's easy to get a bit frustrated and bored with the concept of daily deals, especially as the deadlines are always stressful and down to the wire.

Continue reading
  10. "Great company, lots of oppotunities"

in London, England

I have been working at Wowcher

Pros

- fun company with great people, very friendly atmosphere - plenty of opportunities to develop your career - good location, huge improvement on previous office - senior management are approachable, friendly and most importantly, excellent mentors

Cons

- the company is growing so quickly you need to shout to be heard sometimes

Found 11 reviews