Xero Employee Reviews about "nz"

Updated Jun 3, 2020

Found 16 of over 689 reviews

4.3
Xero CEO Steve Vamos
Steve Vamos
Pros
  • "Work life balance is amazing, no overtime(in 47 reviews)

• "Collaborate culture and super flexible work environment(in 35 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Maybe the middle management (team lead) is a bit weak in management skills(in 22 reviews)

• "Global head office in NZ and a lot of functions in(in 16 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "nz"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Lots of highs and lows

Aug 12, 2019 - Customer Experience Specialist
      Business Outlook

Pros

Nice facilities and offices, perks like coffee, casual dress, Friday drinks and morning teas. Being in a wider team took stress away when on leave as others shared your workload. My pay was above market but knew this wasn't the same for everyone. While the people could be hit and miss, I did get to work with some fantastic people.

Cons

Extreme micro-management and very rigid way of "how things should be" - weren't willing to allows employees to think outside the box and work autonomously even if it was the best result for the customers. No career opportunities for CX staff outside NZ, and cross-team promotions were always a matter of how much the hiring manager liked you despite your skills. Melbourne office felt like high school, so many cliques.

9 people found this review helpful
    2. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great place overall to work for, but need to invest more on managers

Apr 12, 2019 - Anonymous Employee in Melbourne
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great values, especially #human, that the vast majority of the employees, middle managers, leadership team (including the CEO) tend to follow. Wonderful co-workers. Good work/life balance. Interesting challenges, both operational (moving from start-up to mid-size company) and strategic (building new technologies to deliver new experiences). Still small enough for most people to interact with various parts of the company.

Cons

Managers, managers, managers: They are the reason people stay and people leave. The new manager training and ongoing support is really not good enough to create a consistent culture of great managers, which results in some poor decisions due to inconsistencies and inexperience. There are some bad apples in senior management who act like the company values and overall good management practices don't apply to them. No career progression for some roles. Once you're "senior", there's nowhere else to go. Different offices have different cultures, and the HQ in NZ does not do a good job of leveraging the best of these differences. NZ teams often have a "my way or the highway" approach.

1 person found this review helpful
    3. 3.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

NZ is great but Australia not so much

Sep 4, 2014 - Senior Developer in Melbourne
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great dynamic atmosphere and flat organisational structure. Terrific access to senior management who share all aspects of company strategy with staff. Office fit-outs are top notch and IT equipment is up to date.

Cons

Growing too fast. Poor HR contact with non-NZ offices. Acquired offices are not managed well with too much autonomy and not enough imposition of (excellent) Xero culture. Compensation is stingy.

5 people found this review helpful

SVP

Global HR is centered in SF to run systems, programs and policy across our countries with a focus on being competitive worldwide, but also on staying centered on the fantastic employer brand and New Zealand culture that got us to where we are.

4. 5.0
      Current Employee

Hyper Growth

Jun 3, 2020 - Marketing Manager EMEA in Milton Keynes, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Hyper growth company Focus on staff growth and product development

Cons

Global head office in NZ and a lot of functions in NZ and AUS results in time delays and lack of quality in developers due to talent pool size in NZ/AUS vs US/UK

Be the first to find this review helpful
    5. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Could be great, but far more frustrations than opportunities

Sep 18, 2019 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

- The people you work with day to day are great, the #1 reason that I do enjoy my job is my colleagues. - Standard tech company perks: snacks and drinks, pool table, one catered breakfast and one catered lunch a week. - Nice office location in Denver: walking distance to Union Station, easy to get to from I-25.

Cons

- Advancement opportunities don’t go to in region team members. Often people are brought over from NZ and AU to take senior management roles, and often they weren’t in senior management roles before. - Additionally, there is often no career plan or opportunity for career progression for many roles. - Lots of politics, hard to cut through and get work done when people in the US care more about their appearance and global teams care more controlling their spheres of influence and proving they’re needed. - Recently downsized and lost a lot of staff that support the sales team but we continue to grow the sales team. Very hard to keep up with expectations when more people are asking you for help but you aren’t getting more help yourself. - Seems like there is a culture that prohibits people from asking for help; lots of people pretending to know what to do but don’t want to ask for help even though people are willing to help out.

6 people found this review helpful
    6. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Work/life balance great, feeling accomplish and working with great leadership not so much

May 16, 2019 - Engineer in Denver, CO
      Business Outlook

Pros

* Great work/life balance, maybe too life heavy.

Cons

* New Zealand centric, meaning that Denver always gets the worst projects because NZ gets first picks. * New opinions are not valued. * Ideas should come from the bottom, direction should come from the top, but that's not the case at Xero. This might differ by team, I hope it does. * Just the other day a "tech lead" got mad with an employee because they didn't do things his way. He showed his frustration by throwing his headset. This is the type of people that Xero's culture reinforces. Why? Because there won't be any consequences for that type of behavior. * No work is been done here. I can corroborate what another reviewer said, I also see people play video games throughout the day. * As far as technology, Xero seems to do things backwards. Some teams are against what other great tech companies are doing. * Employees get promoted not because of merit but because they've been there a long time. This is not always the case but it happens more than it should.

10 people found this review helpful

Xero Response

Thank you for your review of Xero. I'm sad to hear that this has been your experience. The behavior you detailed is certainly not acceptable and not conducive to the environment we want to create for employees. I would encourage you to reach out to your People Experience Business Partner, who is an advocate for you and your team, or to me directly. I hope we can help foster an environment where you feel you are doing important and valued work. -Andy, VP People & Business Operations

7. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Unfulfilling Environment Where Not Much Gets Done

Apr 10, 2019 - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
      Business Outlook

Pros

* Catered meals twice a week * Nice location * Some interesting benefits ($25 a month allowance for health/wellness costs, Eco pass, etc) * Very flexible for work/life balance

Cons

* No one seems to work here, there are no consequences for missed deadlines, and there's no accountability. I've seen people literally just play video games at their desk - not even bothering to hide it - because nothing will be done. * No one in Denver is empowered to make a decision. Everything must be run through NZ and that process can take weeks to months... if a decision is even made. * The benefits package is not in line with other Denver software companies. You are expected to pay $200 a month for parking. The health insurance benefits don't include mental health, despite the supposed dedication Xero has for supporting their employees. * Raises don't seem to be a thing here, but on the other hand, when no one delivers anything of value, why would they be?

9 people found this review helpful

Xero Response

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. I'm glad to hear that you liked the benefits, location and the meals. I'm sorry your experience has left you disheartened; that's the opposite of how we strive to enable people to really do the best work of their lives. You are right that we have paid parking available, for those include to use public transport we cover that in Denver for all employees via the eco-pass and we have EAP services available to all employees for mental health services, as well as 5 wellness days you can take if you need to recharge physically or mentally. Thank you again for your review

8. 4.0
      Former Employee

Good coworkers, uphill battle

Mar 8, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

New Zealand culture in an SF office; flexible work hours; ideas and innovation valued

Cons

US business managed from NZ/Australia - management unfamiliar with US market's needs

1 person found this review helpful
    9. 3.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Politics will kill Xero

Dec 19, 2017 - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

The people are wonderful and the company has a great vision and great design. Rod carries the company forward beyond a lot of antiquated practices of tech companies in NZ and AU. Has a great chance of becoming the global accounting system most businesses will choose.

Cons

With HQ in NZ, most product work happening in AU, and forward operating offices in UK and US, there is a lack of communication and an air of animosity from those in the "mothership" region of NZ and AU. If you work in the US and try to get cooperation from your counterparts in NZ and AU, they are probably ignoring you, being snarky, and wondering why Xero is paying some idiot in the US who clearly doesn't know what they're doing. This is because in the NZ - AU region Xero has exploded and employees there have a huge sense of self importance. Meanwhile in the US Xero must strive to act as a startup and meet this market's needs with agility. The pattern is that the company keeps firing it's US teams for not delivering results while the root of the issue is that the teams in NZ and AU don't want to put any work into what will win the U.S. market. Classic innovators dilemma to reinvest in your big growing market, and let the much bigger, harder to crack market, languish. This is why I titled this review "Politics will kill Xero". If Xero can't figure this out they may not make headway in the U.S. and some other upstart will do the work necessary to win the U.S. There is no shortage of people ready to try.

19 people found this review helpful
    10. 3.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

decent company

Nov 16, 2017 - Account Manager in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

nice office, international of NZ company is evident. advocates are excited about the software.

Cons

NZ involvement slows adjustment to US market needs. too often selling the promise of a new release while being penalized by churn.

2 people found this review helpful